• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

0 db mode on case and cpu fans.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
I was wondering if people have their cpu cooler and case fans running all the time or made a 0 db mode as most gpu's and psu has now a days. So the fan only turns on when cpu or a chosen component in pc turns on cpu and/or case fans.

Also what ever it would be good or bad idea to do. Like no airflow but less dust in the PC. Ambient temperature and case design also has a saying what ever it is fra or not.

Personally I have fan's running all the time at low speed when ilde or at low load. However I am going with the idea to make 0 db mode. But airflow might be concern like nvme ssd temp, vrm and other components might be to hot or run unnecessary hot.

So are guys doing it or not and why?

Reactions: N/A

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Getting 0dB to work on BIOS control alone might depend on the board and fans you use. T30s for example have a semi-passive mode on the switch selector.

With a CPU like the 5600/5600G/5700X, pretty good chance you can get a beefier cooler (D15/FC140) and just forgo heatsink fans entirely.

If you live in a soundproof chamber and have extremely sensitive ears, I can see the benefit of case fan stop......otherwise, get better case fans and a blower/air compressor and accept that cleaning out dust is a fact of life.

NVMEs and RAM are not a problem unless you also intend to have no airflow when under CPU/GPU load. VRMs are not even close to being a problem unless you created problems for yourself by buying a board with VRM problems.

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Well I had issues with fans that are 0rpm able, had to replace my great noctua's....

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I started using 0db mode on my GPU when EVGA packed it in :D

None of my current fans support 0db, but I could get by with just the stock 2 case fans and no fans on my cooler for my X3D.

Not sure about summer though.. :D

System Name Back in Black
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-224-XT Black
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) 3000mhz C15
Video Card(s) Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 TI Advanced Edition
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB / Solidigm P41 Plus 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 32" TV 1080p
Case Montech Air X Black
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W Gold
Mouse Redragon M711 Cobra
Keyboard Corsair K55
Literal 0db or perceptive 0db?

For the CPU you need a low power/easy to cool unit and a beefy heatsink.
For the GPU... only when idle/low use.

My setup is not 0db, but it's very quiet with the two 200mm in front keeping the rest of the fans on a "keep the air flowing" mode most of the time.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Coming from an audiophile-quality electronics background, I hate fan noise. So 0db (silent running) setups have been an interest of mine for many a long time.
Ambient temperature and case design also has a saying what ever it is fra or not.
Ambient temperature for sure is a factor. Fortunately, the ideal temperature range for "creature comfort" (normal room temperatures) is typically and perfectly suitable for electronics too.

Case design is a MAJOR factor, AS LONG AS case cooling is properly setup to provide a good flow of cool air through the case - and the interior of the case is not blanketed with heat trapping dust.

Hand-in-hand with case design is case cooling as provided by the case fans. It is the users responsibility to ensure a good flow of air is provided. Typically front-to-back flow is desired with just a small amount of positive or over-pressure. A slight over-pressure helps ensure the vast majority of the incoming cool air enters the case only through the [hopefully filtered] intake vents - and not through cracks, optical drives, and data ports.

Of course, quality case fans are important too - not just to move lots of air, but to move that air quietly - especially when you don't like fan noise, important for me, because I really hate fan noise. I've been really happy with the fans Fractal Design includes with their cases, and many of their cases include a 3-speed controller too. :) I have mine set to 7VDC (medium speed) and all I hear is the dog's toenails clicking across the kitchen floor down the hall.

What matters most with 0dB modes for CPU and GPU fans (and PSU fans too) is, of course, heat. So AS LONG AS the function is working properly (and for most, it does), and the fans kick in when the preset thermal protection thresholds are crossed (which is comfortably below any overheat level), 0dB modes are outstanding features.

That said, how would you know if effective is not monitoring your temps? So I recommend using a decent real-time temperature monitor. I use and recommend Core Temp to monitor CPU temps in real time. Under Options > Settings > Notification Area, I have mine set to display "Highest temperature" only.

HWiNFO64 is also very (if not overwhelmingly) informative. When using for the first time, I recommend you select “Sensors only” when prompted. Then scroll down to your motherboard’s section to see the temps.

HWiNFO also includes an excellent notification/system “Tray Icon”, though it is a little more challenging to setup than CoreTemp because of the massive amount of information and options provided by the program. Under Sensors Status > Configure Sensors (the gear icon), select the Tray Icon tab, scroll down to and click on “Core Max” to highlight. Then click on “Show in Tray”. Then OK to set. If you want HWiNFO to run all the time you will need to select “Auto Start” from the "Main Settings" window.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
24/7 365 I keep the party going with the fan sound vibe(used to be hardcore but fan sound now).

Not sure why 0Db doesn't equal off.

If you're doing something that resource light get an iPad. :p

In all seriousness it's up to you but personally I don't do 0Db I like the background noise and my pc is always busy and hot, handy in these cold days ATM.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Not sure why 0Db doesn't equal off.
Technically, it does, of course. So I am going to assume in this case, "marketing huff/hype" is doing its typical stretching of the truth! :(

handy in these cold days ATM.
0dB (not db, DB, or Db, but dB as Bel is the unit) does not mean no heat. Even when my CPU and GPU fans are idle, I still feel warm air exiting my case through the rear case fan vent. But I hear you about these cold days. However my monitors generate heat too and it is never too long before my computer room/office is warmer than the rest of the house.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Technically, it does, of course. So I am going to assume in this case, "marketing huff/hype" is doing its typical stretching of the truth! :(

0dB (not db, DB, or Db, but dB as Bel is the unit) does not mean no heat. Even when my CPU and GPU fans are idle, I still feel warm air exiting my case through the rear case fan vent. But I hear you about these cold days. However my monitors generate heat too and it is never too long before my computer room/office is warmer than the rest of the house.
Fair enough I will again blame this phone (though it was me) dB it is, I knew that too yet wrote it wrong.

It is abnormally cold at night at the moment here, because my GPU is new and not waterblocked it is not loaded while I am not there, like now I'm in work, and my rooms not warm with just 150Watt Total load and only the CPU loaded up, my monitors go into standby.
It doesn't take long to warm though.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
I generally run my systems with fans off with basic workloads (web browsing and such), then set the curves to accelerate as the temps do. No issues so far FWIW

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
Coming from an audiophile-quality electronics background, I hate fan noise. So 0db (silent running) setups have been an interest of mine for many a long time.

Ambient temperature for sure is a factor. Fortunately, the ideal temperature range for "creature comfort" (normal room temperatures) is typically and perfectly suitable for electronics too.

Case design is a MAJOR factor, AS LONG AS case cooling is properly setup to provide a good flow of cool air through the case - and the interior of the case is not blanketed with heat trapping dust.

Hand-in-hand with case design is case cooling as provided by the case fans. It is the users responsibility to ensure a good flow of air is provided. Typically front-to-back flow is desired with just a small amount of positive or over-pressure. A slight over-pressure helps ensure the vast majority of the incoming cool air enters the case only through the [hopefully filtered] intake vents - and not through cracks, optical drives, and data ports.

Of course, quality case fans are important too - not just to move lots of air, but to move that air quietly - especially when you don't like fan noise, important for me, because I really hate fan noise. I've been really happy with the fans Fractal Design includes with their cases, and many of their cases include a 3-speed controller too. :) I have mine set to 7VDC (medium speed) and all I hear is the dog's toenails clicking across the kitchen floor down the hall.

What matters most with 0dB modes for CPU and GPU fans (and PSU fans too) is, of course, heat. So AS LONG AS the function is working properly (and for most, it does), and the fans kick in when the preset thermal protection thresholds are crossed (which is comfortably below any overheat level), 0dB modes are outstanding features.

That said, how would you know if effective is not monitoring your temps? So I recommend using a decent real-time temperature monitor. I use and recommend Core Temp to monitor CPU temps in real time. Under Options > Settings > Notification Area, I have mine set to display "Highest temperature" only.

HWiNFO64 is also very (if not overwhelmingly) informative. When using for the first time, I recommend you select “Sensors only” when prompted. Then scroll down to your motherboard’s section to see the temps.

HWiNFO also includes an excellent notification/system “Tray Icon”, though it is a little more challenging to setup than CoreTemp because of the massive amount of information and options provided by the program. Under Sensors Status > Configure Sensors (the gear icon), select the Tray Icon tab, scroll down to and click on “Core Max” to highlight. Then click on “Show in Tray”. Then OK to set. If you want HWiNFO to run all the time you will need to select “Auto Start” from the "Main Settings" window.
I am all ready using HWinfo 64 and have used it for years, as it provide readings for all temp sensors in one program.

I have pretty much unlimited control over my fans directly in windows. As i use a software in windows for my fan controllers (Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 XT). That allows me to control all my fans including cpu fans in windows on the fly. None of my fans are connested to any of my two motherboard and bios control. With the fan controller i can set my fans up to 0 DB and start at any given temperature i set it to start and i can use any software readable temp sensor to start my case or cpu fan. But cpu cooler fans are controlled by temp sensor on CPU, while case fans are controlled by VRM temp. GPU either auto or with MSI afterburner. PSU fan just has a buttom for either 0 DB or running all the time.

So i can control my fans at any time any moment with out have to go to bios for it. That i really like.

I use these fan controller. Exspensive, but worth the money.

This is my machine. You can se the two controllers top right corner.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I fancied the idea of totally silent desktop computers so I tried it out on several PC builds in different cases. Apart from my Mac mini, all of my desktop PCs sit on the floor so their fans are never closer than three feet to my ears. I had a head start in quietness.

It turns out that in a quiet environment I can hear when a fan kicks in whether it be a case, radiator, or GPU fan. So a fan going from 0 to minimum speed to gradually ramping up is more irritating than a fan running at minimum speed and gradually ramping up.

Moreover, there is no practical benefit of a stopped fan from an acoustical standpoint in my home. There's still some ambient noise in the environment that is louder than the PC fans running at minimum speed, even during the dead of night. A few times a year, I leave the bedroom PC on overnight to download some software and I can't hear it, even with the fans running. Halting the fans won't decrease sound and it might save me a penny in electricity.

So today all of my desktop PC builds have the fans set at minimum rotation speeds at idle. I configure my fan curves on the hottest days of the summer so I know the rest of the year the PC will run cooler and possibly quieter. None of my PCs have fans that run at maximum speed (apart from maybe my Mac and my notebook PC). All of the desktop PC builds have fans that max out below the fan maximum speed.

I make an effort to configure the fan curves so even when the system is maxxed out (gaming, Handbrake encode, etc.), the fans remain relatively quiet. My primary gaming PC has a custom cooling loop, this helps the acoustics a lot despite the Ryzen 5900X and RTX 3080 Ti inside.

Yes, the fans make sound, but my ears have to be a few inches away from them if they are running at minimum speed for me to hear them. And I don't sit that close to my PCs.

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
The Aqua Computer Splitty 9 Active fan hub has a potentiometer that allows you to turn fans off at lower PWM signal but I like having my fans run all the time any way.