• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sata not recognized on win7 install and black screen of death.

linux_ftw

Hi all. I've been trying for several days now to fix a problem and I'm finally at my wits end. I can find a lot of threads with similar problems, but none of the solutions I've found there seem to work for me. I'm trying to install windows 7 ultimate onto a sata drive. I'm using an HP elitebook 8770w. The specs are here:

INFO

The comptuer has two hard drives, a 250gb sata and 1tb normal. The partitions are here, both in gparted and the windows 7 installer.

PARTITIONS

I first formatted both drives and then tried to install win7 onto the sata drive. It installed, but not properly. None of the computers hardware was recognized. In the devices manager "John-PC" had a little yellow error triangle next to the list of hardware right down the list; every option had an error.

I tried formatting the disks again and then I got a black screen of death after the first shut down of the installation process. No mouse, no logo, no blinking lights; nothing, though if I leave the USB in I get an option telling me to press any button to install from usb, and then it freezes there. If I remove the usb, it boots to the black screen of death with nothing. I tried every port for installation, including the two usb 3.0 ports, the two usb 2.0 ports and the sata port. I tried an iso usb with usb 3.0 drivers pre-loaded. No fix. I tried several different combinations in the BIOS including factory reset, IDE, AHCI, Legacy, UEFI, and various boot order combinations. I also tried a bios diagnostics test which indicated everything was fine.

I've tried using unetbootin, windows 7 usb creator, and rufus to format the bootable usb. On one of those occasions I tried putting a copy of xp on the bootable usb, and when I tried to install it, the win 7 installer opened up and finished the installation again like the first time through, but also again none of the drivers worked. To fix this I downloaded a multitude of drivers from the HP website and some of them worked, though one of them (a win7-64 driverpack update, I think) once again put the machine back to the black screen of death upon restarting and now I'm right back to where I was, not able to get past the BSOD.

I've tried reformatting the ssd to ntfs with gparted, win disk (something about cleaning the partition, I think), and the win 7 installer.

Here's what my BIOS settings look like as I'm trying to install.

BOOT MENU

DEVICES MENU

In the boot menu there is a section to organize the boot order, and I've set the sata drive at the very start of it. However, just before the BIOS comes up, there's an option to press f9 to set an override boot order. This is the boot order override screen when I press f9...

The usb's and the notebook harddrive both show up. Also, the HP_TOOLS partion has a system restore back up folder I made on the win 7 machine when it was working and I was installing the drivers, but I can't access that folder via the win 7 installer. I can access it on my linux mint live cd usb, though.

So, that's what I'm up to. It seems the windows installation isn't recognizing the sata drive, as it's absent no matter what settings I change in the BIOS, but that doesn't explain why the OS won't install on the 1tb drive, either. I get the BSOD when tring to install on either drive.

Please help!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'm not sure what the problem is, I've just spent a day installing various versions of M.S. Operating Systems on an Acer using a USB 2 stick and Rufus to see which worked better, and the only issues came from a Vista install.
Perhaps it is because you have multiple hard drives connected, and are using a USB 3 stick, which can also cause issues.
Windows 7 found all devices and installed all drivers for me.
Are you using a genuine ISO?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Remove all but the hard drive you're looking to install the operating system on, sometimes windows can get "confused"& it tends to just act f@cked up.

Also what do you mean by "250 gb sata & 1tb "normal"?"

Are you using some type of adapter or something ?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Definitely only use the OS install disk you want to use in the system, and connect all other drives after installation is complete.

linux_ftw

Remove all but the hard drive you're looking to install the operating system on, sometimes windows can get "confused"& it tends to just act f@cked up.

Hi all who responded. Thanks for your time. This option seems to have worked. I'm not prepared to call it a solution, but removing the hdd seems to allow the installation to complete and restart consistently. However, when I plug the hdd back into its slot after installating win7 onto the ssd, the computer goes back to black screen of death, no matter how I change the boot order in the bios. I know there must be a combination that works, but the trial and error part is annoying.

Any ideas?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
You may have to format the large H.D. to remove any remnants of boot sector on it.