• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best place to mount my Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC?

Norway, which means Amazon is not available...
System Name Winter v3.2024
Processor Intel i7 12700K (since november 2021)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X (since november 2021)
Cooling Air Liquid Freezer II 360 with LGA1700 kit (since november 2021)
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb 3600mhz C16 (since november 2021)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC Pro LHR - Rev3.0 (since july 2022)
Storage 1x 1TB WD Blue SN570 SSD, 1x Seagate 4TB SATA
Display(s) 1x 55" LG C1 4k OLED, 1x Gigabyte 32" M32Q and 2x AOC 27" CG1
Case Fractal Design Define R6 (since 2018 and still working like a charm!)
Power Supply Corsair RM850x black (since august 2022)
Mouse Razor Deathadder v2 (since december 2021)
Keyboard Varmilo VEA109 v2 MX Silent Red (since august 2022)
Software Windows 11 Pro
my friend bought me a unifi ap ac for him to get better connection whenever he visits his house. that way, he will supposedly get better connection than what he does now with our current router tp-link archer c2 (that is in my house).

now, the questions i have:

1: where should i mount my unifi? on the 2nd floor or 1st floor so the connection gets to his place the easiest?

2: horizontal or vertical mount? unifi seems to be designed for ceiling mount, and that seems to be the preferred way to go so get to my friends place the best, yes?

both our houses are made in the 60-70s, so we got tree walls and not so much concrete. the distance between the unifi and my friends house is about 15-20m. here is a photo:
hus19382.jpg

any tips/ideas?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I would get an external directional ubiquity AP just for his house if you want to do it right. You can try fiddling around with placement but, an antenna with a wave guide is going to be your best option and ubiquity has them if you're willing to pay for it (or maybe he would since he is using your internet. :) ) The only other option would be to try and mount the AP so the bottom of it isn't facing his house. That's probably the best you can really do without doing something special. You can turn up transmit power but, that doesn't make the transmit on his end any higher (which makes it look like a good signal but, his machine wouldn't be loud enough to respond unless he can control transmit power on his end.)

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Honestly, I'd do loose runs to test different positions and find which nets the best results. Though in reality, trenching, running Ethernet over, and installing the AP in his house would net the best results for the device you purchased.

I would bet mounting it so the dome faces his house will net the best results...though these devices are omni-directional, the dome-facing side will still have the most powerful range and signal. Minimize the amount of obstructions too.

Did you get the AC Lite, LR or Pro? The LR and Pro have a longer range...I generally recommend the Pro for a solid price/performance unit...but in most home situations the standard AC Lite is enough if you don't need faster AC speeds or 600ft rated range, where 400ft will suffice.

Keeping in mind this is an interior device only, you might try propping it up against a window facing your neighbor's house to see if that makes a difference, then set it on the floor at the corner of the wall facing down, and towards the neighbors house and test the signal.

There's an Android app called WiFI Anlyzer that is free, you can use it to test signal strength. That might also help you in testing. I do agree with @Aquinus that a directional AP might not be a bad idea here either, especially with an AP meant to be installed outside. The fewer obstructions to the signal the better.

I also recommend running the AP on a different subnet or using its guest isolation features to keep him off of your LAN resources while using the same subnet, works very well in a pinch when no VLANs are setup.

Norway, which means Amazon is not available...
System Name Winter v3.2024
Processor Intel i7 12700K (since november 2021)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X (since november 2021)
Cooling Air Liquid Freezer II 360 with LGA1700 kit (since november 2021)
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb 3600mhz C16 (since november 2021)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC Pro LHR - Rev3.0 (since july 2022)
Storage 1x 1TB WD Blue SN570 SSD, 1x Seagate 4TB SATA
Display(s) 1x 55" LG C1 4k OLED, 1x Gigabyte 32" M32Q and 2x AOC 27" CG1
Case Fractal Design Define R6 (since 2018 and still working like a charm!)
Power Supply Corsair RM850x black (since august 2022)
Mouse Razor Deathadder v2 (since december 2021)
Keyboard Varmilo VEA109 v2 MX Silent Red (since august 2022)
Software Windows 11 Pro
I would get an external directional ubiquity AP just for his house if you want to do it right. You can try fiddling around with placement but, an antenna with a wave guide is going to be your best option and ubiquity has them if you're willing to pay for it (or maybe he would since he is using your internet. :) ) The only other option would be to try and mount the AP so the bottom of it isn't facing his house. That's probably the best you can really do without doing something special. You can turn up transmit power but, that doesn't make the transmit on his end any higher (which makes it look like a good signal but, his machine wouldn't be loud enough to respond unless he can control transmit power on his end.)

Honestly, I'd do loose runs to test different positions and find which nets the best results. Though in reality, trenching, running Ethernet over, and installing the AP in his house would net the best results for the device you purchased.

I would bet mounting it so the dome faces his house will net the best results...though these devices are omni-directional, the dome-facing side will still have the most powerful range and signal. Minimize the amount of obstructions too.

Did you get the AC Lite, LR or Pro? The LR and Pro have a longer range...I generally recommend the Pro for a solid price/performance unit...but in most home situations the standard AC Lite is enough if you don't need faster AC speeds or 600ft rated range, where 400ft will suffice.

Keeping in mind this is an interior device only, you might try propping it up against a window facing your neighbor's house to see if that makes a difference, then set it on the floor at the corner of the wall facing down, and towards the neighbors house and test the signal.

There's an Android app called WiFI Anlyzer that is free, you can use it to test signal strength. That might also help you in testing. I do agree with @Aquinus that a directional AP might not be a bad idea here either, especially with an AP meant to be installed outside. The fewer obstructions to the signal the better.

I also recommend running the AP on a different subnet or using its guest isolation features to keep him off of your LAN resources while using the same subnet, works very well in a pinch when no VLANs are setup.

Soooo in addition to this AC LITE that i have now, i should also go for an external ubiquity AP? *sighs* i forgot to mention that im already OVER my budget with the buy of this ubiquiti AC LITE (yes, we are in this together, so we're trying to not spend too much on this). which directional would be something that matches the AC LITE i've got now?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
2nd floor for umbrella effect, if necessary have a secondary router by a window. Closer to their home