• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Synology DS1819+ 8-Bay NAS

The DS1819+ offers huge storage capacity potential, which can be further expanded upon with the addition of two Synology DX517 units. The big question, however, is whether it's worth the stiff price as there may be better options out there that are more affordable.

Show full review

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
It's so nice to have a custom built NAS, as I don't have to worry about license costs for VM's etc. I just install and run whatever I want.
Admittedly some of the pre-built NASes serves a purpose, but it feels like a lot of the features are simply added so they can have another bullet point in a spec sheet, rather than offering some actual value to the customers. At almost $1,000, this thing should've had 10Gbps Ethernet as standard as well, which I think is a huge con.
That hot glued USB header is nasty though, but it's located at the front, unlike your con, which mentions there''s no front USB port.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
It's a nice setup but I feel the CPU will really hold back the performance of the drives.. Remembering back to my EPIA system I had many many moons ago, the drive performance really was hindered by the CPU for being so slow..
I think a storage device like this needs something a little more higher powered.. And that price is horrendous :(

System Name Gaming PC/ EDU PC/ HFS PC
Processor Intel i9-9900KF/ Dual Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate/ Dual Asrock X370 Proffesional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S/ Arctic Xtreme Freezer/ Ryzen Wraith Prysm RGB
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200/ 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000/ 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus / EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming
Storage Dual 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 6Tb 860 EVO/ 960 EVO 500GB + 18Tb R0/ 840EVO 250Gb + 16Tb R0
Display(s) Samsung 32" U32R590 Curved 3480x2160 / Samsung 32" LC32H711 Curved 2560x1440 Freesync
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830 NV Edition/ Dual Cooler Master 690 Advance II
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 SBX/ Creative X-Fi Titanium Pci-E/ On-board Realtek
Power Supply Triple Corsair Platinum HX850i
Mouse Logitech G7 WL / Logitech G903 Lightspeed / MS BT 8000
Keyboard Dual Logitech G19s
Software Win10 Pro
It's a nice setup but I feel the CPU will really hold back the performance of the drives.. Remembering back to my EPIA system I had many many moons ago, the drive performance really was hindered by the CPU for being so slow..
I think a storage device like this needs something a little more higher powered.. And that price is horrendous :(

that's why embedded cpu's used for nas are so low class and are slow in most of the cases. Every time wonders me why the price of empty box is so high. For that price you can easily build a dedicated pc with tons of hdd's with more powerful hardware for less money...

Besides hardware you also pay for the software and its features. The support also has to be compensated somehow.

For me if you want storage for sensitive data going with a branded NAS is a oneway road.

That hot glued USB header is nasty though, but it's located at the front, unlike your con, which mentions there''s no front USB port.

Dont know why but I totally missed this. Thank you for pointing it out!

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
that's why embedded cpu's used for nas are so low class and are slow in most of the cases. Every time wonders me why the price of empty box is so high. For that price you can easily build a dedicated pc with tons of hdd's with more powerful hardware for less money...

I'm glad I went with at least a semi decent dual core for mine, but then I think it's now limited by my 1Gb network, not so much by the drives (although they do max out around 160Mb/sec read ish, so there's a little left in them. Replacing them for new, bigger and faster drives is definitely on the cards :) But then so is a CPU upgrade as well...

Besides hardware you also pay for the software and its features. The support also has to be compensated somehow.

For me if you want storage for sensitive data going with a branded NAS is a oneway road.

Dont know why but I totally missed this. Thank you for pointing it out!

It can be unless you build one yourself, saving a small mint :)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

Have you tried using the "support"? I worked a short time for QNAP and at times, the support team was a joke. Mostly due to the manager being useless and not so much the support team itself. Also, the company had zero interest in listening to concerns from even large government customers about the security of their software, or lack thereof.
If it was actual support, rather than hand holding during setup, I would agree with you, but sadly the support is far from where it should be when it comes to devices that sometimes costs thousands of dollars.