• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

27" 1440p monitor recommendations?

Which monitor?

• Total voters

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
ive got 2 of the Dell Gaming 27" monitors with Gsync. they suffer a engineering flaw, where a vertical line appears occasionally due to refresh rate de-sync, but its easily fixed by changing the resolution , then clicking 'do not apply' , even restarting the display driver with Cntrl+Shift+WinKey+B fixes it.

i paid less than $600 for two of them on sale , if you can get them cheap theyre good, im pretty sure the dell you listed is the same model, but i wouldnt pay over $300 for one.

Thanks, but they are definitely not the same panel. S2716DGR is a TN panel, along with the TN S2719DGF I mentioned earlier that someone else confused with the S2721DGF that I bought. You are right, I wouldn't pay more than $400CAD for the S2716DGR or S2719DGF.

Dell's gaming line nonclematures really do leave a lot to be desired. Ultrasharp is simple by comparison, P2715Q, U2415H, U2515H, U2715H, U2717D, U2719D, etc.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I did say no to VA in the OP lol :laugh: I did take a look at the G27QC (my friend recently bought the IPS G27Q (M27Q without KVM, essentially), unfortunately the G27Q has 0 availability now), but not too much a fan of VA compared to IPS. I have a GW2265 as my secondary monitor right now, and while it is quick and responsive the colours just aren't nearly as good as the IPS panels I have. It's got good contrast ratio and black depth, but the IPS GW2765HT next to it is equally good so if I really need the contrast for some odd reason, I'll probably just drag the window onto the big BenQ.

I don't usually use my monitors in "the dark" per se, I have a frosted lamp with a smart bulb behind my monitor to alleviate eyestrain a bit and 2700K table lamps off to the side as well. A lot of things are on dark theme right now, but very few aside from Windows apps are on an actually black background. The 27UL550 that I had for about a day had poor contrast ratio as well, but I really didn't mind (perhaps maybe even liked) the rather washed out blacks. Besides, I don't shoot photos in the darkness and then crank the contrast up 500% :D
I used to be a IPS snob too (I even has a 32" 4K 60hZ IPS). The first VA panel I ever bought was the 32QC and it does have some drawbacks to IPS but not enough to make me exclude them going forward..

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Hardware Unboxed recommends the MSI QRF-QD as its top recommendation.

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
ive got 2 of the Dell Gaming 27" monitors with Gsync. they suffer a engineering flaw, where a vertical line appears occasionally due to refresh rate de-sync, but its easily fixed by changing the resolution , then clicking 'do not apply' , even restarting the display driver with Cntrl+Shift+WinKey+B fixes it.

i paid less than $600 for two of them on sale , if you can get them cheap theyre good, im pretty sure the dell you listed is the same model, but i wouldnt pay over $300 for one.
Entirely different displays with different panels in them.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
@Khonjel thank you for the gif

don't know if Op has made a purchase yet. @tabascosauz you mentioned that you wanna get 120hz,but won't be hitting 120fps in all games (makes sense).

It doesn't have to make a difference in your purchase decision but here is my 2cents

get the highest refresh panel your wallet can handle. your wallet will suffer and your eyes will thank you for the rest of your life

I have been reading about this on the net and YB forever. The endless debate can the human eye tell the difference between 60hz and .....2 million hertz YES!! YES IT CAN
I got a 140hz panel and my eyes are always relaxed. The higher the better.
Before this, i never had more than 75Hz. The difference is huge when browsing the internet etc etc. - don't think just games.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
@Khonjel thank you for the gif

don't know if Op has made a purchase yet. @tabascosauz you mentioned that you wanna get 120hz,but won't be hitting 120fps in all games (makes sense).

It doesn't have to make a difference in your purchase decision but here is my 2cents

get the highest refresh panel your wallet can handle. your wallet will suffer and your eyes will thank you for the rest of your life

I have been reading about this on the net and YB forever. The endless debate can the human eye tell the difference between 60hz and .....2 million hertz YES!! YES IT CAN
I got a 140hz panel and my eyes are always relaxed. The higher the better.
Before this, i never had more than 75Hz. The difference is huge when browsing the internet etc etc. - don't think just games.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, I mentioned a few posts back that I got the S2721DGF. In fact, it's arriving today. We'll see how it turns out.

That was my thought too, obviously with my 2060 Super I won't be maxing out the display. Risk of Rain 2 is probably easy enough for 120fps+ (except when >1 hour in and absolute madlad difficulty, frames can bog down), BTD6 (lol) I think is high refresh capable, Project Reality is engine limited to 100fps, Borderlands 3 probably around 60-90fps, Genshin is engine limited to 60fps currently, No Man's Sky probably around 100-120fps, MCC I think only H2A works properly at 144fps. CSGO and Siege obviously are easy high fps candidates, but I hardly play them these days.

I'm more interested in the wide gamut support and better brightness compared to my BenQ; I have a colorimeter on the way so I can hopefully also get a sRGB-clamped .icc profile to use for photo editing while having a wide gamut .icc for better colors in everyday use.

Of course, all this depends on it being a good QC panel. It's Dell, fortunately, so I'm not worried at all about return/exchange.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
So now that I've spent about a week with the S2721DGF, there are good things:
  • Excellent colors and reasonable accuracy even without calibration.
  • Really freaking fast, as expected, with no input lag at all. My old GW2765HT is pretty much unusable for gaming now.
  • Just the right amount of brightness range on SDR.
  • Nice stand, would still use it if I didn't have monitor arms
  • The contrast ratio issue is highly exaggerated
The not-so-good:
  • Terrible black uniformity. There's a very obvious amount of IPS glow in the bottom left, some in the top left.
  • Yellow tint in the top right and bottom right that also kind of look like IPS glow. Honestly, if it was just the white glow, I wouldn't care, but obvious yellow shift on the right side of the monitor is pretty much deal-breaking.
  • There's no way to use tilt/height/brightness/contrast/black stabilizer to compensate for one issue, without exacerbating the other.
Changing Windows/Edge/Youtube themes can compensate slightly for the left side glow, especially if set to a black taskbar with a white background. However, the yellow shift stays and is equally obvious on dark themes.

Admittedly, I am a little OCD, but it's wholly disappointing that my 5-year-old BenQ GW2765HT still boasts near-perfect black and grey uniformity with zero (or at least, completely consistent) IPS glow but the 4 monitors I've tried in the last 2 years have failed to even come close to that level of performance and consistency.

I would do the usual exchange with Dell (and might end up doing so), but from a quick search it seems like the lower-left IPS glow and yellow shift on the right side is less a lottery issue and more an inherent flaw with the LG nanoIPS panels on the 27GL850 and S2721DGF. I was surprised to see from a quick Googling how many people had panels that exhibit exactly the same appearance as mine.

I still have until beginning of April until my Dell return window expires, so I ordered a MSI MAG274QRF-QD to see if that panel (AU Optronics quantum dot, not LG nanoIPS) can do better. That way I can have the 3 panels side-by-side to see whether the Dell or MSI is better.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So now that I've spent about a week with the S2721DGF, there are good things:
  • Excellent colors and reasonable accuracy even without calibration.
  • Really freaking fast, as expected, with no input lag at all. My old GW2765HT is pretty much unusable for gaming now.
  • Just the right amount of brightness range on SDR.
  • Nice stand, would still use it if I didn't have monitor arms
  • The contrast ratio issue is highly exaggerated
The not-so-good:
  • Terrible black uniformity. There's a very obvious amount of IPS glow in the bottom left, some in the top left.
  • Yellow tint in the top right and bottom right that also kind of look like IPS glow. Honestly, if it was just the white glow, I wouldn't care, but obvious yellow shift on the right side of the monitor is pretty much deal-breaking.
  • There's no way to use tilt/height/brightness/contrast/black stabilizer to compensate for one issue, without exacerbating the other.
Changing Windows/Edge/Youtube themes can compensate slightly for the left side glow, especially if set to a black taskbar with a white background. However, the yellow shift stays and is equally obvious on dark themes.

Admittedly, I am a little OCD, but it's wholly disappointing that my 5-year-old BenQ GW2765HT still boasts near-perfect black and grey uniformity with zero (or at least, completely consistent) IPS glow but the 4 monitors I've tried in the last 2 years have failed to even come close to that level of performance and consistency.

I would do the usual exchange with Dell (and might end up doing so), but from a quick search it seems like the lower-left IPS glow and yellow shift on the right side is less a lottery issue and more an inherent flaw with the LG nanoIPS panels on the 27GL850 and S2721DGF. I was surprised to see from a quick Googling how many people had panels that exhibit exactly the same appearance as mine.

I still have until beginning of April until my Dell return window expires, so I ordered a MSI MAG274QRF-QD to see if that panel (AU Optronics quantum dot, not LG nanoIPS) can do better. That way I can have the 3 panels side-by-side to see whether the Dell or MSI is better.

please keep us up to date with your final review and decision. i have had my eye on the QD MSI for awhile now... almost grabbedit when it was on sale for $419 on amazon, but i didn't do it... lol now i regret it.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
please keep us up to date with your final review and decision. i have had my eye on the QD MSI for awhile now... almost grabbedit when it was on sale for $419 on amazon, but i didn't do it... lol now i regret it.

Got the MAG274QRF-QD (god what a mouthful) today. Put it next to the S2721DGF for a bit, then used the MSI alone for a bit and got the MSI calibrated with my SpyderX. Out of the box, the quantum dot tech makes colours really pop which is nice, just not so great for photo work. Thankfully I was able to get it dialed in to about a deltaE of 1 with DisplayCAL.

The uniformity is...interesting. There is still a bit of glow in the bottom left corner, just like the Dell, just more subtle. The colour temperature is certainly cooler in the corners, but the bulk of the screen is pretty consistent. And as odd as it sounds, the uniformity discrepancies are consistent enough (all the corners are similar, not just the bottom left) that it's much more tolerable than the Dell. The bottom edge and top edge have a bit of bleed, but are also pretty consistent from left to right, which makes 100% the difference.

A bit more vignetting, whereas the LG panel in the Dell is pretty much perfect all the way to the corners.

Needless to say, the S2721DGF is packed neatly back into the box, waiting for me to arrange the return. It's a nice screen and has its own perks, but the LG panel's by-design huge white glow in the bottom left and yellow glow in the right corners I just couldn't live with long-term. The AUOptronics panel isn't perfect either, but its nitpicks are much easier for me to live with.

At some point I probably need to accept that panel makers don't know what "quality control" is anymore, and I will literally never again get the sort of perfection I have on my old BenQ GW2765HT.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Yeah from what I've read about 32" 4K display LG panels are usually inferior to AUO's offerings. I imagine this translates to lower res panels as well.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Got the MAG274QRF-QD (god what a mouthful) today. Put it next to the S2721DGF for a bit, then used the MSI alone for a bit and got the MSI calibrated with my SpyderX. Out of the box, the quantum dot tech makes colours really pop which is nice, just not so great for photo work. Thankfully I was able to get it dialed in to about a deltaE of 1 with DisplayCAL.

The uniformity is...interesting. There is still a bit of glow in the bottom left corner, just like the Dell, just more subtle. The colour temperature is certainly cooler in the corners, but the bulk of the screen is pretty consistent. And as odd as it sounds, the uniformity discrepancies are consistent enough (all the corners are similar, not just the bottom left) that it's much more tolerable than the Dell. The bottom edge and top edge have a bit of bleed, but are also pretty consistent from left to right, which makes 100% the difference.

A bit more vignetting, whereas the LG panel in the Dell is pretty much perfect all the way to the corners.

Needless to say, the S2721DGF is packed neatly back into the box, waiting for me to arrange the return. It's a nice screen and has its own perks, but the LG panel's by-design huge white glow in the bottom left and yellow glow in the right corners I just couldn't live with long-term. The AUOptronics panel isn't perfect either, but its nitpicks are much easier for me to live with.

At some point I probably need to accept that panel makers don't know what "quality control" is anymore, and I will literally never again get the sort of perfection I have on my old BenQ GW2765HT.

yep. now i really regret not getting the MSI QD when it was in stock for 419. crap.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Yeah from what I've read about 32" 4K display LG panels are usually inferior to AUO's offerings. I imagine this translates to lower res panels as well.

I don't have any experience with AUO's recent IPS-type panels, all I know is that this new quantum dot AUO panel is supposed to be their very first panel that can compete with midrange-high end nanoIPS. But my BenQ is also a AUO panel, so that could explain why I prefer the MSI, if there are indeed design patterns between different AUO panels.

On an amusing note, the slightly cooler colour temp "curtains" down the left and right edges of the screen remind me of the LG 27UL550 that I tried, a 4K60 LG panel, except on that monitor there was significant light fall-off on those edges, as opposed to a slight colour temp shift, making it extremely obvious in all usage scenarios and basically unusable.

yep. now i really regret not getting the MSI QD when it was in stock for 419. crap.

I'm sure you'll get another chance. Didn't the QD launch at $550? I bought mine for the equivalent of $445US, didn't even wait for a sale. I guess MSI finally came to their senses regarding pricing. QD panels are good, but they don't warrant a $100 premium over the nanoIPS competition

MagnyCours

Gold Supporter
Supporter
System Name Raphael // GS65-8SE
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D -20 PBO2 // i7 8750h -0.140V UV
Motherboard Aorus X670 Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H100i Pro XT 240mm
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB @6000-30-36-36-48-84 // 2x8GB 2666MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra 10GB @1860MHz 0.862V // RTX 2060 6GB Mobile 90W
Storage WD Blue SN570 500GB + Samsung 960 EVO 1TB // ADATA XPG SX8200 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF 27" 1440P 155Hz VRR
Case Corsair 460X Crystal
Audio Device(s) Apple USB C DAC Dongle
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 850G (Rebranded Seasonic Prime Gold 850W)
Mouse Razer Orochi V2
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX
Software Win. 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores -
Does the S2721DGF use the same panel as the 27GL850? Because it's also notorious for its IPS glow on the bottom-left corner.

Don't know about the rest of the panels listed in the poll, but I'd recommend you avoid the 27GL850 if you're sensitive to IPS glow.

Here are pics of mine:

Attachments

• 20201213_224931.jpg
    20201213_224931.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 234
  • 20201212_212614.jpg
    20201212_212614.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 237
  • 20201213_003328.jpg
    20201213_003328.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 316
Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Does the S2721DGF use the same panel as the 27GL850? Because it's also notorious for its IPS glow on the bottom-left corner.

Don't know about the rest of the panels listed in the poll, but I'd recommend you avoid the 27GL850 if you're sensitive to IPS glow.

yep the LG nano-ips is highly overrated in the community.

I'm sure you'll get another chance. Didn't the QD launch at $550? I bought mine for the equivalent of $445US, didn't even wait for a sale. I guess MSI finally came to their senses regarding pricing. QD panels are good, but they don't warrant a $100 premium over the nanoIPS competition

nope the $550 price was misleading it never launched for that, it was 450 at launch and briefly 419 on amazon. i had it in my cart. kicking myself lol - stock has been out for a long time now.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Spoke too soon lol. The MSI panel developed some bright pixels smack dab in the middle of the screen. Which was exactly what I had feared from reading the reviews - it didn't sound like MSI's quality control was any better than Gigabyte's. Guess I found out firsthand.

So the S2721DGF is right back on my desk and it's the MAG274QRF-QD waiting to be returned now. Such is my luck with most of the things I do.

I guess I'll get used to the glow eventually. And if I can't, I guess I'll just have to watch movies on my Renoir HTPC on the TV instead.

I will say, I think the Dell has mellowed a bit with two weeks-ish of use. Just gotta dial in the calibration with my SpyderX.

Here are pics of mine:

Yeah, the 2721DGF and GL850 use the same panel, hence the same flaws. Looks pretty much the same as my S2721DGF did on day 1.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sorry, but this is a flawed statement. You can't buy a gaming focused screen and expect to get the best panel quality, as the focus on those panels is to be able to drive them at high refresh rates, not the best possible display quality. Your old Benq is most likely better, because it's an office monitor.
You want something with better quality, take a look the displays that are designed for the work you want to do on them, such as:
or
or

I guess this would be be what you should've gotten if you want high refresh and a high quality panel.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Sorry, but this is a flawed statement. You can't buy a gaming focused screen and expect to get the best panel quality, as the focus on those panels is to be able to drive them at high refresh rates, not the best possible display quality. Your old Benq is most likely better, because it's an office monitor.
You want something with better quality, take a look the displays that are designed for the work you want to do on them, such as:
or
or

I guess this would be be what you should've gotten if you want high refresh and a high quality panel.

None of those monitors are any closer to solving the problem, which is black uniformity, not color accuracy. Neither the S2721DGF nor MAG274QRF-QD have any color problems after calibration. The calibrated S2721DGF has good sRGB and P3, and the calibrated MAG274QRF is good on sRGB, P3 and Adobe. That's not a problem.
  • The rtings review for the ProArt PA278QV shows uniformity that isn't much better than the MAG274QRF-QD I have. No high refresh. So much for ProArt.
  • Eizo's only high refresh monitor, the now-EOL FS2735, doesn't have the uniformity compensation feature that makes Eizo Eizo.
  • No ConceptD monitors are available here. I can't even get one from B&H. Specs look good, but 0 reviews anywhere, not even user reviews. Makes no claim to uniformity, nor has a brand reputation or features for it like Eizo.
  • As much as I like the SW2700PT and SW271, no high refresh.
I admit, maybe I got lucky with my old monitor or maybe it just improved that much over time. But my point still stands - striving for the fastest gaming panel can understandably impact color accuracy (and I wouldn't hold poor performance in that against a gaming monitor), but there's no reason why uniformity and glow should just magically be allowed to be worse than a "non-gaming" monitor. "Oh it's a gaming monitor, I guess frickin white and yellow blinding orbs in the corners are okay then"

Hey, just wanted to get it off my chest. I'll get over it. If not for the glow, the S2721DGF's performance is not bad. Definitely not feeling wallet remorse the way I did after the first two U2719Ds last last year.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
None of those monitors are any closer to solving the problem, which is black uniformity, not color accuracy. Neither the S2721DGF nor MAG274QRF-QD have any color problems after calibration. The calibrated S2721DGF has good sRGB and P3, and the calibrated MAG274QRF is good on sRGB, P3 and Adobe. That's not a problem.
  • The rtings review for the ProArt PA278QV shows uniformity that isn't much better than the MAG274QRF-QD I have. No high refresh. So much for ProArt.
  • Eizo's only high refresh monitor, the now-EOL FS2735, doesn't have the uniformity compensation feature that makes Eizo Eizo.
  • No ConceptD monitors are available here. I can't even get one from B&H. Specs look good, but 0 reviews anywhere, not even user reviews. Makes no claim to uniformity, nor has a brand reputation or features for it like Eizo.
  • As much as I like the SW2700PT and SW271, no high refresh.
I admit, maybe I got lucky with my old monitor or maybe it just improved that much over time. But my point still stands - striving for the fastest gaming panel can understandably impact color accuracy (and I wouldn't hold poor performance in that against a gaming monitor), but there's no reason why uniformity and glow should just magically be allowed to be worse than a "non-gaming" monitor. "Oh it's a gaming monitor, I guess frickin white and yellow blinding orbs in the corners are okay then"

Hey, just wanted to get it off my chest. I'll get over it. If not for the glow, the S2721DGF's performance is not bad. Definitely not feeling wallet remorse the way I did after the first two U2719Ds last last year.
The thing is, if you buy a professional monitor, that would be considered unacceptable.
If you buy a gaming monitor, it's not targeting your use case, so the monitor manufacturers are expecting to get away with certain flaws, as most users wouldn't care. This is also why so many gaming monitors are still using TN panels.
I never said any of those monitors except Acer's ConceptD was high refresh, as said those are the kind of monitors you ought to be looking at for work.
Interestingly, that specific ConceptD display is not available in Taiwan either...

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
Your thread has been pretty interesting to follow.... Small sample size but I've had a decent amount of hands on with the LG GL850, GN850, and the S2721DGF. All of them were pretty good with very minimal glow in the bottom/left corner. If i did professional work none of them would probably be my choice but for gaming they were all great

I have a buddy who grabbed the Msi varient you did and he sent it back for the same reason although his had a decent amount of ips glow in all corners as well.

I honetly think like with anything it's just silicon lottery... back in 2017 I purchased 3 PG279Q, and one AG271QG and they all were terrible.... ended up just going with a PG278QR becuse it's faults for what it cost were way easier to deal with. My GN850 is miles better than all of them and was a decent amount cheaper.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Your thread has been pretty interesting to follow.... Small sample size but I've had a decent amount of hands on with the LG GL850, GN850, and the S2721DGF. All of them were pretty good with very minimal glow in the bottom/left corner. If i did professional work none of them would probably be my choice but for gaming they were all great

I have a buddy who grabbed the Msi varient you did and he sent it back for the same reason although his had a decent amount of ips glow in all corners as well.

I honetly think like with anything it's just silicon lottery... back in 2017 I purchased 3 PG279Q, and one AG271QG and they all were terrible.... ended up just going with a PG278QR becuse it's faults for what it cost were way easier to deal with. My GN850 is miles better than all of them and was a decent amount cheaper.

My only experience with Asus is the PB287Q, a 28" 4K60 TN. Given my recent luck with monitors, I have to get a monitor that has 30 days no questions asked return, which is why I've been defaulting to Dell. Otherwise, the retailer would have to have that kind of return policy, e.g. Amazon or Memory Express.

I was hoping this time around that the panel lottery would matter less / be a little kinder to me, but I guess I was asking too much.

After calibration the panel actually looks a bit better now, or maybe I'm just used to it. The bottom left glow is here to stay, though. The nanoIPS panel seems extremely dependent on viewing angle - thanks to my VESA arm I was able to position the screen in a way that minimizes the yellow glow in the upper right corner. Obviously, that makes the white glow in the bottom left brighter, but also makes most of the bottom edge brighter as well so it's actually not as noticeable.

Seems like it's time for me to give up on the dream of having a single do-it-all monitor now that I've been spoiled with 165Hz. I just came across BenQ's new Adobe SW270C that has Eizo-esque software based uniformity compensation, but it would strictly be for my photo editing and not much else. The Dell has pretty poop Adobe coverage compared to the MSI (86% vs 98%), but thankfully my current needs don't yet warrant buying a $1099 SW270C.

System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
I picked up the Dell S2721DGF on sale recently. Coming from my trusty 24.5" TN Acer KG251QF monitor, I was looking for something just a bit bigger with high refresh to boot, and with all my experience in the past with IPS panels with their better-than-TN colour accuracy, I was really looking forward to the upgrade. I've used an older Dell 27" IPS at work for years now, and the colour accuracy on that thing is impeccable.

So I did my research, checked things out on RTINGS, watched the Hardware Unboxed review a couple of times, weighed things up and thought about things considerably before finally making the decision on the S2721DGF.

The unit arrived, I quickly unboxed it, then set things up the first chance I had some spare time. I pull up my chair in front of my desk, adjust the panel height and angle, switch on my PC, log in, and stare at the screen for a few seconds before noticing a weird haze or shimmer, particularly in the corners of the screen. I fiddle with the colour settings based on the review recommendations - that should fix things right? Wrong. OMG THE IPS GLOW! WTF IS THIS?! It's like I'm seeing double vision in the corners, like I can't quite focus my eyes properly. AAAHH!

Yes, the reviews were mentioning the IPS glow, the backlight bleed as well, but I thought to myself "eh, how bad can it be coming from a TN panel". Well, it's very bloody noticeable for someone who has always used TN panels; I just can't do it, particularly in my dark-ish room.

Yes, TN has its flaws, but they are flaws I can live with and have gotten used to over the years coming from CRT. I must say as well, the new 24.5" TN panels are a huge step up from the old 23.8" units that have been around since like 2011. I was using a circa 2009 Dell 24" TN for the better part of a decade, and when I upgraded to the new Acer it was like night and day with brightness, colour, and contrast.

So overall it was an experiment, but I've learned now what @tabascosauz has learned - there's "design monitors" with awesome colours, and then there's gaming monitors, with less than perfects colours, rubbish glow, but play games without ghosting which look great as long as your game doesn't have any dark areas, like that's a thing.

There might be some VA monitors out there that will do what I'm looking for, but they are all bloody curved things and I'm pretty sure that would seriously trigger my OCD. So for now I'll return the S2721DGF and just go back to my KG251QF.