• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MOONDROP Chu In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
MOONDROP impressed us every time to date with its good value-for-money IEMs at different price points. Today, we examine one of its least expensive sets. The $20 Chu aims to re-define what budget earphones are capable of. It features metal shells and MOONDROP's excellent tuning while throwing in a full set of Spring Tips to help seal the deal!

Show full review

This is a product that still draws a "WTF" from me. The Spring Tips being something that are extremely hard to get in the US and they put in more of them than the IEMs are worth. As for the cable, the IEM is worth less than their cable, the cheap one from them goes for $20.

The Chaconne, Quarks, Neocake, Liebelseid, and Spaceship are all also confusing. The Quarks are sort of fun though. For 13 bucks they are a steal.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
They should have called it the Spaceship 2 or something, sounds way better than Chu.

God bless you.

Reactions: VSG
System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA
Keyboard Logitech K400 Plus
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
This is a product that still draws a "WTF" from me. The Spring Tips being something that are extremely hard to get in the US and they put in more of them than the IEMs are worth. As for the cable, the IEM is worth less than their cable, the cheap one from them goes for $20.

The Chaconne, Quarks, Neocake, Liebelseid, and Spaceship are all also confusing. The Quarks are sort of fun though. For 13 bucks they are a steal.

With the KZ ZSN Pro's (which I have and love) regularly going down to $12 on AliExpress, this would be pretty much pointless wasn't for the eartips (KZ's are not my favorite, I must admit).

I'm really itching for one of those Aria SEs though... meant to get the Starfield eventually but it seems like the new Aria is gonna suit my needs better, and picking one of these for the eartip set alone seems pretty much like a good idea to me, even if it's to just pluck them out and have the Chu set for a rainy day

The Aria and it's variants are sort of a sweet spot in sub 100. The ear tips are nice, but that's something you try around and see what works with you. Some people swear by different things.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Aria and it's variants are sort of a sweet spot in sub 100. The ear tips are nice, but that's something you try around and see what works with you. Some people swear by different things.
I want to say the Spring Tips benefit IEMs with more dynamics in general, so they only end up smoothening the treble response slightly as with the KATO (and maybe also the Aria Snow Edition they come with) rather than affecting the bass too as was the case here.

I want to say the Spring Tips benefit IEMs with more dynamics in general, so they only end up smoothening the treble response slightly as with the KATO (and maybe also the Aria Snow Edition they come with) rather than affecting the bass too as was the case here.

It also depends on your ears. IMHO foams are better than silicone, but other people swear the other way. the seal you get matters the most really. Foams break down though, so I also have some spin fits