• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iFi Pro iDSD Signature Streamer/DAC/Headphone Amplifier

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
iFi may be popular for its mainstream DAC/amps with onboard customization options and a warm sound signature but did you know it also caters to the more professional audio market? Today we examine its Pro iDSD Signature network streamer/DAC/amplifier with its solid state or tube output modes for excellent, high-quality sound as part of an extremely impressive feature set.

Show full review

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Ok, three things:

1. Impressive freq response in solid state mode.

2. I would have liked to see some more testing around WiFi connectivity. I have some lame-a$$ appliances that only talk 2.4GHz WiFi and they have a bigger problem: while they will connect to a 2.4GHz network, they will not connect to a unified one (where the router puts all bands under the same SSID).

3. For all that money and a device that will presumably live forever (if you treat it kindly), only one year warranty? If I had that kind of money to spend on audio equipment, I would not spend it on something that the manufacturer reserves the right to deny service after just one year.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Ok, three things:

2. I would have liked to see some more testing around WiFi connectivity. I have some lame-a$$ appliances that only talk 2.4GHz WiFi and they have a bigger problem: while they will connect to a 2.4GHz network, they will not connect to a unified one (where the router puts all bands under the same SSID).

3. For all that money and a device that will presumably live forever (if you treat it kindly), only one year warranty? If I had that kind of money to spend on audio equipment, I would not spend it on something that the manufacturer reserves the right to deny service after just one year.
I have a unified SSID and there was no problem taking the 2.4 GHz band. Keep in mind that you effectively use a phone app to transfer the WiFi credentials over to the device, so it's down to whether or not your phone sees the WiFi network. I do agree on the warranty front though.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I have a unified SSID and there was no problem taking the 2.4 GHz band.
Great. I wasn't expecting problems at this price point, but having been bitten before, you never know.
Keep in mind that you effectively use a phone app to transfer the WiFi credentials over to the device, so it's down to whether or not your phone sees the WiFi network.
The device itself still has to see the network, that's what went wrong with my devices. Again, glad to hear it works with this.
I do agree on the warranty front though.
I mean, I know it's probably not the case, but it feels like they are knowingly selling you a lemon and they expect it to not last for very long. That is the message that I get.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Great. I wasn't expecting problems at this price point, but having been bitten before, you never know.

The device itself still has to see the network, that's what went wrong with my devices. Again, glad to hear it works with this.

I mean, I know it's probably not the case, but it feels like they are knowingly selling you a lemon and they expect it to not last for very long. That is the message that I get.
The warranty aspect was brought up on forums before and the answers from the reps ranged from "We'll take care of you" to "It's one year because that's the minimum required in the US". Fairly mixed bag but overall I have not heard people complain much about iFi customer service so take that for what you will.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The warranty aspect was brought up on forums before and the answers from the reps ranged from "We'll take care of you" to "It's one year because that's the minimum required in the US". Fairly mixed bag but overall I have not heard people complain much about iFi customer service so take that for what you will.
It's not like you will break these often anyway. If you don't drop them from your desk, rip the cables out, they'll be fine. And of course iFi won't ignore service requests, but they can charge you whatever they want after one short year (or two in the EU) :(

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It's not like you will break these often anyway. If you don't drop them from your desk, rip the cables out, they'll be fine. And of course iFi won't ignore service requests, but they can charge you whatever they want after one short year (or two in the EU) :(
Yeah, it's more down to the tubes inside and how they last the test of time and use.

A high-end DAC, amp, and pre-amp (components which will remain high-end for many years) is one thing but building the streaming functionality (something is inherantly going to become outdated) into the same is fatal mistake in my opinion. At this price point you are better off going with separate components.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
A high-end DAC, amp, and pre-amp (components which will remain high-end for many years) is one thing but building the streaming functionality (something is inherantly going to become outdated) into the same is fatal mistake in my opinion. At this price point you are better off going with separate components.
The streaming functionality here comes with support for modern streaming services, both local and over the internet. But I know what you mean and it's something for people to be aware of.

Ok, three things:

On the warranty this isn't what you think. Essentially products at this level offer the minimum in the region it sells in. But if you have a problem after that it's a "send it to us" situation. They are going to fix it. There might be a small cost associated with it depending what happened, but they aren't going to leave you stranded.

While I tend to agree going seperate is going to result in a dac, amp, pre amp, and streamer that all cost as much as this does or more. You're talking five figures easy. As shocking as this may be to some people this is still firmly a "budget" item in the scheme of things.

On the warranty this isn't what you think. Essentially products at this level offer the minimum in the region it sells in. But if you have a problem after that it's a "send it to us" situation. They are going to fix it. There might be a small cost associated with it depending what happened, but they aren't going to leave you stranded.

While I tend to agree going seperate is going to result in a dac, amp, pre amp, and streamer that all cost as much as this does or more. You're talking five figures easy. As shocking as this may be to some people this is still firmly a "budget" item in the scheme of things.
I know you can spend five figures, six figures.... there pretty much is no ceiling. But five figures for this level of quality why? I don't see anything particularly interesting about this aside from how much they crammed into a single compact package but I'm pretty sure you could match or better the quality in separate components from Schitt, Topping or several other companies playing in the high-end for a reasonable price game.

I know you can spend five figures, six figures.... there pretty much is no ceiling. But five figures for this level of quality why? I don't see anything particularly interesting about this aside from how much they crammed into a single compact package but I'm pretty sure you could match or better the quality in separate components from Schitt, Topping or several other companies playing in the high-end for a reasonable price game.
Schitt and Topping aren't remotely high end and do not claim to be.

Schitt and Topping aren't remotely high end and do not claim to be.
Its all relative. Stereophile favorably reviewed plenty of Schiit and Topping gear that competes with far more expensive competition so unless you associate "high-end" with a particular price point pretty much everything the in the Topping x90 range is high-end and the same can be said for Schiit gear like Freya, Bifrost, Tyr.