• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Youtube, Discord, Visual Studio Code are flickering with black checkered squares/vertical lines. Partial solutions to this issue.

problem777b

This bug should not affect the GTX 9xx due to non-support overlays. I've seen reports from people with videocards ranging from GTX 16 to RTX 40

i see! thanks for your answers! so u have not seen anyone who has the problem fixed due to getting a new card? Do u think that this bug exist on all PCs? with 2000 3000 4000 cards? i am wondering bc there are not so many reports with this bug.. i mean there are a lot but if it was on every GPU then it would be a super huge problem?

Last edited:
i see! thanks for your answers! so u have not seen anyone who has the problem fixed due to getting a new card? Do u think that this bug exist on all PCs? with 2000 3000 4000 cards? i am wondering bc there are not so many reports with this bug.. i mean there are a lot but if it was on every GPU then it would be a super huge problem?
No, I don't know anyone who would solve it this way. Otherwise it wouldn't be called a "bug" :)

problem777b

No, I don't know anyone who would solve it this way. Otherwise it wouldn't be called a "bug" :)

its really hard to understand why it is still not fixed then if it exist on all GPUs 20 30 40... can u imagine? how many PCs can be affected with this "bug" like 10.000.000+! do u think that it is really on all PCs?

its really hard to understand why it is still not fixed then if it exist on all GPUs 20 30 40... can u imagine? how many PCs can be affected with this "bug" like 10.000.000+! do u think that it is really on all PCs?
It's not just about the GPU, but also, for example, about the display refresh rate and even P-State. This will not be easy to reproduce on every PC, but nevertheless, lately people have been noticing this bug more and more often. It is because of the complexity of this bug that it has not yet been fixed, because in order to fix this, Nvidia needs to contact Microsoft and possibly the Chromium team, because the problem is not only on Nvidia’s side.

christizzz

Hello,
Thanks for the video. I saw similar video-reports in Nvidia Driver Feedback Thread, but I don’t know how those users solved this problem and whether it was a hardware problem or not. How long have you had this problem? I want to hope that this is just a problem in the driver or operating system, and not in the hardware. Are you currently using Chrome's default settings? If this happens again, then try using "Maximum Performance" in NVIDIA Control Panel, and then use OpenGL API without disabling hardware acceleration.
I also recommend that you try to reproduce this problem on another computer with a clean operating system and write about it in the Nvidia Driver feedback. Something tells me that this shouldn't be a hardware problem, at least I hope so.
so after testing:

Netflix app: no problem
netflix Browser: flickers..display turns on and off
netflix broswer hardware acceleration disabked: no prob

Amazon Prime Videos app: flickers ... display turns 9n and off
Amazon Prime Browser: no problem..

in my case it has maybe something to do with high refresh rate displays ? or maybe HDCP ?

problem777b

This bug should not affect the GTX 9xx due to non-support overlays. I've seen reports from people with videocards ranging from GTX 16 to RTX 40

i was trying to find an information about non-support overlay but i cant find anything related to it... can u please tell me more about that function? i mean every overlay was working good on my gtx 960... steam overlay, nvidia overlay.. or maybe u are speaking about different overlay?

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I believe there are 2 (or maybe even 3) separate bugs related to MPO and videos in chromium that cause the same checkerboard artifacts.
I have managed to briefly see this checkerboard on my single display 3090 system

It popped up when i had multiple browser windows open and a video was playing in that section in one of the tabs, closing the tab had it appear very briefly as it faded away

do you know maybe also someone who did RMA and the problem was fixed bc of that?? How i was not having that problem on my GTX 960 then?
It's a software issue. Who said the issue even existed back when you tested the 960, or that a 960 meets the criteria to trigger the bug?

i was trying to find an information about non-support overlay but i cant find anything related to it... can u please tell me more about that function? i mean every overlay was working good on my gtx 960... steam overlay, nvidia overlay.. or maybe u are speaking about different overlay?
MPO

Multiplane Overlay (MPO) — The Linux Kernel documentation
Microsoft, AMD, Nvidia, are all sleeping on Windows 11 MPO display issues - Neowin

It's essential for modern displays and variable refresh tech, if you want those other overlays to work. Otherwise you're forced to run the same as your desktop resolution and refresh with forced Vsync and 2 frame render ahead.

so after testing:

in my case it has maybe something to do with high refresh rate displays ? or maybe HDCP ?
I don't think these settings matter in your case. You need to test your GPU on another computer with a clean Windows and with enough the power supply for your GPU. If this problem does not occur on another computer, then the problem may be with your operating system or PSU. Also, you need to try an older version of the driver. Try to disable HAGS.

Try writing about your problem on Nvidia Forums and Driver Feedback thread. Perhaps you will find those people who have exactly the same problem. I really don't know how to solve this problem because I've never had it, sorry.

Last edited:

Iterix

Начал пользоваться таким сетапом LG OLED42C3, Palit GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134, Были использованы только версий браузера Microsoft Edge, 114, 115, После обновления на 116 Появились подобные артефакты, что-то похожее на куски заливки на искасок экрана чёрным, маленько появлялись шахматы.
Драйвера Nvidia были 537.13 WHQL Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11, и предыдущая версия драйвера, артефакты появились именно После обновления версий браузера, Но не драйвера.

Артефакт, чаще всего появляется
При открытии как минимум пару вкладок, с 1 или 2 любыми видео сервисами а также обычной любой страницой, переключение между вкладками.
edge://settings/appearance
Общий вид - Темная
Тема - По умолчанию
edge://flags/#enable-force-dark - Enabled

edge://flags/#use-angle - OpenGL Не помог, всё равно появились артефакты

Включил - D3D9 пока артефакты не наблюдал

Использовать аппаратное ускорение - Не Отключал
==================================
I started using this setup LG OLED42C3, Palit GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134, Only versions of the Microsoft Edge browser were used, 114, 115, After updating to 116, similar artifacts appeared, something similar to pieces of black filling on the edge of the screen, Chess appeared a little.
The Nvidia drivers were 537.13 WHQL Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11, and the previous version of the driver, the artifacts appeared precisely after updating the browser versions, but not the driver.

Artifact, most often appears
When you open at least a couple of tabs, with 1 or 2 of any video services, as well as any regular page, switch between tabs.
General view - Dark
Theme - Default

edge://flags/#use-angle - OpenGL Didn't help, artifacts still appeared

Turned it on - D3D9 hasn’t seen any artifacts yet

Use hardware acceleration - Did not disable

Last edited:

problem777b

I have managed to briefly see this checkerboard on my single display 3090 system

It popped up when i had multiple browser windows open and a video was playing in that section in one of the tabs, closing the tab had it appear very briefly as it faded away

It's a software issue. Who said the issue even existed back when you tested the 960, or that a 960 meets the criteria to trigger the bug?

MPO

Multiplane Overlay (MPO) — The Linux Kernel documentation
Microsoft, AMD, Nvidia, are all sleeping on Windows 11 MPO display issues - Neowin

It's essential for modern displays and variable refresh tech, if you want those other overlays to work. Otherwise you're forced to run the same as your desktop resolution and refresh with forced Vsync and 2 frame render ahead.

i was using GTX 960 until like 2 days ago and i had 0 problems with checkerboard patterns... After putting rtx 4070 i started to see the problem thats why i was thinking that maybe the gpu is defective or something! bc on gtx 960 i dont see but i see it somethimes ( not often ) on rtx 4070! my return window is still open but also i dont know, maybe the next one will have more coil whine or something! thats why its hard to decide.

Начал пользоваться таким сетапом LG OLED42C3, Palit GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134, Были использованы только версий браузера Microsoft Edge, 114, 115, После обновления на 116 Появились подобные артефакты, что-то похожее на куски заливки на искасок экрана чёрым, маленько появлялись шахматы.
Драйвера Nvidia были 537.13 WHQL Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11, и предыдущая версия драйвера, артефакты появились именно После обновления версий браузера, Но не драйвера.

Артефакт, чаще всего появляется
При открытии как минимум пару вкладок, с 1 или 2 любыми видео сервисами а также обычной любой страницой, переключение между вкладками.
Общий вид - Темная
Тема - По умолчанию

edge://flags/#use-angle - OpenGL Не помог, всё равно появились артефакты

Включил - D3D9 пока артефакты не наблюдал

Использовать аппаратное ускорение - Не Отключал
==================================
I started using this setup LG OLED42C3, Palit GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134, Only versions of the Microsoft Edge browser were used, 114, 115, After updating to 116, similar artifacts appeared, something similar to pieces of black filling on the edge of the screen, Chess appeared a little.
The Nvidia drivers were 537.13 WHQL Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11, and the previous version of the driver, the artifacts appeared precisely after updating the browser versions, but not the driver.

Artifact, most often appears
When you open at least a couple of tabs, with 1 or 2 of any video services, as well as any regular page, switch between tabs.
General view - Dark
Theme - Default

edge://flags/#use-angle - OpenGL Didn't help, artifacts still appeared

Turned it on - D3D9 hasn’t seen any artifacts yet

Use hardware acceleration - Did not disable
Hello, I will answer in English so that everyone can understand.

The driver version doesn't matter for this bug because it is not a driver regression. It's strange that OpenGL API didn't help, usually this method helps everyone I advised it to. But in any case, DirectX 9 API should also help.
Do you use only Microsoft Edge if we talk about Chromium-based browsers?

Iterix

Yes, the main one is Microsoft Edge only, For specific minor actions Floorp Browser Portable
I saw a message on other sites that the higher the screen frequency, the more often this problem occurs

Yes, the main one is Microsoft Edge only, For specific minor actions Floorp Browser Portable
I saw a message on other sites that the higher the screen frequency, the more often this problem occurs
That's right. The higher the screen refresh rate, the more often this happens (I saw this myself when I bought a new monitor with 170Hz).

parkggoki

Hi, I'm new to here.
i've found root cause of this annoying artifact.
EcoQoS of windows 10/11 is the culprit.
You cannot disable it and only can bypass it by adding a whitelist to chrome/edge performance management section.

so after testing:

I also had this problem with applications that have a low refreshrate (for example a video at 24Hz) with G-Sync (compatible) enabled. You could try to see if disabling G-sync helps. In case it did, you can modify the minimum refreshrate at which G-sync kicks in. My display wasn't able to go below a minimum of 57Hz, so I had to bump the default minimum from 48Hz to 57Hz.

Hi, I'm new to here.
i've found root cause of this annoying artifact.
EcoQoS of windows 10/11 is the culprit.
You cannot disable it and only can bypass it by adding a whitelist to chrome/edge performance management section.
It makes sense that these artifacts disappear when you bypass EcoQoS. EcoQoS lowers the CPU frequency, which makes these artifacts happen more frequently.
But expect to still see these artifacts from time to time. It doesn't eliminate this bug completely.

The cause and a workaround for bug nr 2

I've been investigating the commits between Chromium builds 1136035 and 1136075 to find out what introduced bug nr 2.
Commit 02c3a71f121a8b7efc2600d5802ec23b1a5d95c3 enables DCompPresenter by default on Windows.

The commit message says: "...the root render pass backing is now allocated in SkiaRenderer itself and rendered as a normal render pass and scheduled as an overlay."
I don't understand it completely, but I interpret it as "After this change Chrome will use overlays more or in another way".
This would mean that Chromium now uses that implementation of overlays more often. (The implementation that is broken on NVidia GPU's.)

Now the good news: This also means that you can workaround bug nr 2 by disabling the DCompPresenter. Add the argument --disable-features=DCompPresenter to your Chrome shortcut. This has fixed it for me.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i was using GTX 960 until like 2 days ago and i had 0 problems with checkerboard patterns... After putting rtx 4070 i started to see the problem thats why i was thinking that maybe the gpu is defective or something! bc on gtx 960 i dont see but i see it somethimes ( not often ) on rtx 4070! my return window is still open but also i dont know, maybe the next one will have more coil whine or something! thats why its hard to decide.
No, it's just a software problem that doesn't apply to the older GPU. It's mostly on 40 series cards, with occasional issues showing on 30 series.

scheduled as an overlay.
That's what changed, it's now being drawn as part of the MPO overlays rather than the older method. Long term this is good, but theres a problem somewhere - in windows itself, or the nvidia driver causing the checkerboard pattern

Just copped this right now, the second i closed a youtube video i had the checkerboard appear where the video was on screen.

It's like it's displaying a generic 'missing texture' error - are the GPU's downclocking to save power from the 3D playback power state too fast, and not updating the display quick enough?

No, it's just a software problem that doesn't apply to the older GPU. It's mostly on 40 series cards, with occasional issues showing on 30 series.
Ahem, my main videocard is RTX 2060s
Your words imply that this bug rarely appears on the RTX 30 series, and on the RTX 20 this bug apparently does not exist at all, but this is not the case, this bug appears equally often with the RTX 20, 30 and 40 series. Moreover, I have seen reports from people even with GTX 16 series. Apparently, GTX 16 series, similarly as RTX 20-40 meets the requirements for reproducing this bug. I can’t check this on my own, I only have RTX 2060s, 2060, 3060 (8 GB) and 3060 (12 GB) for testing.

I also had this problem with applications that have a low refreshrate (for example a video at 24Hz) with G-Sync (compatible) enabled. You could try to see if disabling G-sync helps. In case it did, you can modify the minimum refreshrate at which G-sync kicks in. My display wasn't able to go below a minimum of 57Hz, so I had to bump the default minimum from 48Hz to 57Hz.

It makes sense that these artifacts disappear when you bypass EcoQoS. EcoQoS lowers the CPU frequency, which makes these artifacts happen more frequently.
But expect to still see these artifacts from time to time. It doesn't eliminate this bug completely.

The cause and a workaround for bug nr 2

I've been investigating the commits between Chromium builds 1136035 and 1136075 to find out what introduced bug nr 2.
Commit 02c3a71f121a8b7efc2600d5802ec23b1a5d95c3 enables DCompPresenter by default on Windows.

The commit message says: "...the root render pass backing is now allocated in SkiaRenderer itself and rendered as a normal render pass and scheduled as an overlay."
I don't understand it completely, but I interpret it as "After this change Chrome will use overlays more or in another way".
This would mean that Chromium now uses that implementation of overlays more often. (The implementation that is broken on NVidia GPU's.)

Now the good news: This also means that you can workaround bug nr 2 by disabling the DCompPresenter. Add the argument --disable-features=DCompPresenter to your Chrome shortcut. This has fixed it for me.
You did a great job again! :) But it is necessary for someone from Microsoft/Chromium/Nvidia to notice this information. This bug has begun to appear more often and it cannot simply remain unfixed...

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Processor i5-10600
Motherboard MSI Z490-A Pro
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) iiyama G2730HSU-B1 G-Master 27"
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Software Windows 10 Pro
This has affected me for a while in Chrome with an RTX 3060, I just found this thread tonight after another occurrence and have made the recommended change to OpenGL so hopefully that works.

Yay! :love:

1694574604275.png

P.S URLs I shared: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1155285 and https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1480717

Rubens

Sorry for my english. I'm from Brazil. First of all - KsushaTeaKisa, congratulations for your effort and dedication to help us in resolve this problem.

I bought an RTX 4060 Ti (Gigabyte) 3 months ago and i realized that in the last 2 or 3 weeks my browser (Microsoft Edge) are showing artifacts when i'm scrolling pages with banners or videos (like YouTube) or when i open new tabs. Maybe it was happening since the beginning, but now it's worse.

It is happen with all browsers based in chromium like Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Brave. It´s not happen with Firefox because this browser is not based in chromium.

The only way that i found to "fix it" is turning off "Hardware Acceleration" in the settings of my browser. But it's not a real solution because is just a way to force your browser to not use the graphics card... Until find your forum, i was thinking that was a hardware problem that happens when the graphics card need render some pages. By the way, it's just happens browsing internet and not playing games (until now).

Imagem do comentário

I tried everything: reinstalled Windows 11, tried old and latest NVIDIA drivers and not solved the problem. I was almost sent the graphics card to RMA...

i saw that in the last NVIDIA Driver (537.34) the ticket 3992875 still open... - "Small checkerboard like pattern may randomly appear in Chromium based applications [3992875]".

Why is so difficult for NVIDIA fix this problem? I'm afraid the warranty of my graphics card expire before NVIDIA finds a solution... I'm not sure if it is only a software problem.

Responder
Compartilhar

I was thinking and i am with "problem777b". If it were a driver problem, thousands and thousands of people around the world were complain on YouTube and Internet. My feeling is that few people is having this problem with artifacts browsing on internet. So, i will try to send my graphic card to RMA to see with another hardware my internet will work okay. My graphic card has 3 months and i almost sure that in the 2 firsts months everything was working fine. As soon i have news i will text here.

Attachments

• Defeito 01.JPEG
    Defeito 01.JPEG
    632.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

moist_wethole

Sorry for my english. I'm from Brazil. First of all - KsushaTeaKisa, congratulations for your effort and dedication to help us in resolve this problem.

I bought an RTX 4060 Ti (Gigabyte) 3 months ago and i realized that in the last 2 or 3 weeks my browser (Microsoft Edge) are showing artifacts when i'm scrolling pages with banners or videos (like YouTube) or when i open new tabs. Maybe it was happening since the beginning, but now it's worse.

It is happen with all browsers based in chromium like Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Brave. It´s not happen with Firefox because this browser is not based in chromium.

The only way that i found to "fix it" is turning off "Hardware Acceleration" in the settings of my browser. But it's not a real solution because is just a way to force your browser to not use the graphics card... Until find your forum, i was thinking that was a hardware problem that happens when the graphics card need render some pages. By the way, it's just happens browsing internet and not playing games (until now).

Imagem do comentário

I tried everything: reinstalled Windows 11, tried old and latest NVIDIA drivers and not solved the problem. I was almost sent the graphics card to RMA...

i saw that in the last NVIDIA Driver (537.34) the ticket 3992875 still open... - "Small checkerboard like pattern may randomly appear in Chromium based applications [3992875]".

Why is so difficult for NVIDIA fix this problem? I'm afraid the warranty of my graphics card expire before NVIDIA finds a solution... I'm not sure if it is only a software problem.

Responder
Compartilhar

I was thinking and i am with "problem777b". If it were a driver problem, thousands and thousands of people around the world were complain on YouTube and Internet. My feeling is that few people is having this problem with artifacts browsing on internet. So, i will try to send my graphic card to RMA to see with another hardware my internet will work okay. My graphic card has 3 months and i almost sure that in the 2 firsts months everything was working fine. As soon i have news i will text here.
Yeah there is not much you can do to fix this issue. We have to wait for nvidia and microsoft to push out some sort of update. Things are looking bad on microsofts side, but I don't have there issues when I swap my AMD RX480 in, then there are no issues. But it's gotten worse compared to the start of the year.

Yeah there is not much you can do to fix this issue. We have to wait for nvidia and microsoft to push out some sort of update. Things are looking bad on microsofts side, but I don't have there issues when I swap my AMD RX480 in, then there are no issues. But it's gotten worse compared to the start of the year.
That's not entirely true. So far 7 workarounds have been mentioned in this forum thread:

1. Add --disable-features=DCompPresenter to a browser shortcut
2. And/Or add --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays to a browser shortcut
3. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to D3D11on12
4. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to OpenGL
5. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to D3D9
6. Set your power plan to High performance to prevent your CPU from throttling down
7. And only if none of the above worked: Disable hardware acceleration

That's not entirely true. So far 7 workarounds have been mentioned in this forum thread:

1. Add --disable-features=DCompPresenter to a browser shortcut
2. And/Or add --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays to a browser shortcut
3. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to D3D11on12
4. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to OpenGL
5. Change chrome://flags/#use-angle to D3D9
6. Set your power plan to High performance to prevent your CPU from throttling down
7. And only if none of the above worked: Disable hardware acceleration
By the way, could you share my video and the conditions for reproducing the bug from this post in any of your bugs.chromium threads or would it be redundant? I think this is one of the easiest ways to reproduce the bug (at least with stock/undervolted RTX 2060 Super, I haven't tested this with RTX 30) If follow the requirements for this

By the way, could you share my video and the conditions for reproducing the bug from this post in any of your bugs.chromium threads or would it be redundant? I think this is one of the easiest ways to reproduce the bug (at least with stock/undervolted RTX 2060 Super, I haven't tested this with RTX 30) If follow the requirements for this
I already did that indirectly last week: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1480717#c3 That link goes to your reply in which you mention that bug #2 is easier to reproduce for you.
But I wouldn't be surprised if they accidentally skip that last paragraph in your post, so feel free to post your method in the thread as well. (I saw that you already replied in that issue, so I think you should still be able to post there.)