• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Look: UCOTECH RE-2 In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Korean audio brand UCOTECH joins the TechPowerUp review collection with its new RE-2 single dynamic driver IEMs. It uses a Beryllium-coated diaphragm inside comfortable and durable shells to make for one of the more compelling offerings in its price range, as long as you use EQ.

Show full review

@VSG: Did you find that the UCOTECH RE-2 shifted in your ear canal with prolonged use? In the photo of the anthropomorphic pinna, the RE-2 appears to be seated rather precariously, and at an angle. The ear hook also appears to have floated out of the usual position, tucked behind the pinna, and is touching the outer rim of the ear.

I can't help wondering if the barrel shape of the body is a consequence of the driver inside, or maybe the screw fastener, or just a fashion statement. Whatever the case, I'm intrigued by both the RE-2 and the UCOTECH brand, which I'd never heard of until I read your review. Many thanks!

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
@VSG: Did you find that the UCOTECH RE-2 shifted in your ear canal with prolonged use? In the photo of the anthropomorphic pinna, the RE-2 appears to be seated rather precariously, and at an angle. The ear hook also appears to have floated out of the usual position, tucked behind the pinna, and is touching the outer rim of the ear.

I can't help wondering if the barrel shape of the body is a consequence of the driver inside, or maybe the screw fastener, or just a fashion statement. Whatever the case, I'm intrigued by both the RE-2 and the UCOTECH brand, which I'd never heard of until I read your review. Many thanks!
The ear hooks can be easily rotated via the MMCX connection, so I did deliberately move it further back for the photo. As for the IEM placement in the ears, there is a bit of leeway in how you insert it too. As long as the vents aren't blocked and you get a good enough seal, I don't think there is any one specific position that works better over others for the RE-2.

The barrel shape is atleast partly a result of the rounder dynamic driver inside which feeds directly into the nozzle and ear canal. You can see similar examples from DUNU (ZEN/ZEN Pro) and FiiO (FD series), for example. Of course anesthetics and trying to put out a different design from the others also plays a role.