• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Leaked Footage Shows Sony Project Q Handheld Running Android OS

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
A significant Sony Project Q leak has revealed an alleged prototype running on an undisclosed version of the Android operating system—the remote play-oriented handheld device was first revealed in late May's PlayStation showcase, but Sony's games division has so far kept stum about the Q's means of operation. Zuby_Tech has (prematurely) pulled back the curtain by uploading various images and video footage of a working unit.

A very simple version of Android seems to be displayed on the device's 8-inch 1080p LCD screen (a protective film is still attached), with a prominent QR code featured on its home window. The streaming device has the potential to be quite flexible, in terms of functionality, thanks to Sony's apparent wise choice of operating system selection. Zuby_Tech also took the time to open up their sample unit—without the screen in place, there appears to be not much going on inside there. Previous rumors have the Project Q accessory costing somewhere in the $200-300 region, with a battery life of 3-4 hours—this could be a tough one to market and sell, even to the most ardent of PlayStation platform supporters.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E-A ROG Strix Gaming Wifi
Cooling ID-Cooling 240X Frost Flow
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X 6000MT/s DDR5
Video Card(s) ASROCK Phantom Gaming 7900xtx
Storage Crucial P3 Plus 2TB, x2 WD SN750 1TB
Display(s) Alienware OLED Ultrawide, Asus ProArt 4K
Case White Fractal North
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Pulsar Wireless x2
Keyboard Keychron 75% with Gateron Box Blacks/Reds
VR HMD HTC Vive (Gen 1)
This is, and always will be, a stupid product to me. Instead of a hacked controller with a pi screen, they should've put that R&D back into a mobile console and make the Vita 2 or something similar.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
they should've put that R&D back into a mobile console and make the Vita 2 or something similar.

Very much this.

Sony owns so much old IP and not all of it requires a power house to run. Imagine if older and much older IPs could be ported over and made available for the new PSP or Vita (which Nintendo seems to have a hard time doing...) Sony would make silly money.

It would also cut out any middle men like google play or Apple app store and get people on their own PSN network where they can get all the money.

Case White Fractal North
Mouse Pulsar Wireless x2
VR HMD HTC Vive (Gen 1)
Very much this.

Sony owns so much old IP and not all of it requires a power house to run. Imagine if older and much older IPs could be ported over and made available for the new PSP or Vita (which Nintendo seems to have a hard time doing...) Sony would make silly money.

It would also cut out any middle men like google play or Apple app store and get people on their own PSN network where they can get all the money.
And the Vita could already remote play with the PS4 (and I think the PS3? I can't remember.) so it's not like it would be losing that functionality.

This is, and always will be, a stupid product to me. Instead of a hacked controller with a pi screen, they should've put that R&D back into a mobile console and make the Vita 2 or something similar.
Very much this.

I think we're unlikely to see another proper handheld from Sony after they abandoned the Vita.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
A Vita 2 that can play any Playstation game up to PS4 would be amazing. Run Linux on it like the Steam Deck and you have a USP, older PS games, plus the whole of Steam.

But nope, we get this remote play instead.

Why anyone would get this when you can already remote play from any smartphone is beyond me. You can even add controllers to the phone.

Seeing that it runs android makes me optimistic for being able to mod into some cool projects, on the other hand it will certainly be very underpowered, overpriced and probably hard to unlock :/

System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Display(s) LG 42C2 + Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
Why anyone would get this when you can already remote play from any smartphone is beyond me. You can even add controllers to the phone.
Exactly this. We all have phones capable of what this can do, so what's the USP for this?

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
I'll never get over how dumb this thing looks. Rather than it looking like the older PSP or something like a Switch Lite, they basically decided to slice a PS5 controller in half and attach each half to a goddamn Kindle Fire 7 screen. My hands cramp up just thinking about how awkward that thing looks to hold.

Case White Fractal North
Mouse Pulsar Wireless x2
VR HMD HTC Vive (Gen 1)
I'll never get over how dumb this thing looks. Rather than it looking like the older PSP or something like a Switch Lite, they basically decided to slice a PS5 controller in half and attach each half to a goddamn Kindle Fire 7 screen. My hands cramp up just thinking about how awkward that thing looks to hold.
I feel like if I slightly bend it, the LCD would crack and I'd be out basically $300.