• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Look: FiiO KA13 Portable DAC/Amplifier

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
FiiO adds to its portable DAC/amplifier line with the new KA13 which uses two Cirrus Logic CS4131 DACs, dedicated op-amps, and a capable USB audio bridge in addition to a desktop mode for those who want extra power for more demanding headphones.

Show full review

I don't like the asthetics at all on this. However dual CS rather than going ES is nice for a change. Inclusion of the lightning cable is nice though that is going away quickly (and thank fucking god for that). Glad it doesn't have MQA. @VSG I'm not sure how much you are following the situation as it unfolds but it looks like MQA is bankrupt and going away. So that "plus" on your reviews for past items are kinda funny.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I don't like the asthetics at all on this. However dual CS rather than going ES is nice for a change. Inclusion of the lightning cable is nice though that is going away quickly (and thank fucking god for that). Glad it doesn't have MQA. @VSG I'm not sure how much you are following the situation as it unfolds but it looks like MQA is bankrupt and going away. So that "plus" on your reviews for past items are kinda funny.
I have never been a fan of MQA and made sure to point out the MQA tax on most products. That said, it looks like MQA is coming back from the dead :(

System Name Dark Matter / Mørk Materie (In Norwegian)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 (CPU Core Ratio: 'AI Enhanced' & OC: 'Curve Optimizer' @ -40 & 'PBO2' @ +200 MHz)
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WiFi (AMD Socket AM5) (Mini-ITX)
Cooling CPU: EK Waterblocks EK-Nucleus AIO CR240 Lux (D-RGB) & Thermal Grizzly AM5 Contact & Sealing Frame
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Black DDR5 6000 MHz (PC5-48000) 2x16GB (AMD EXPO) (CL36 tuned to CL30 @ 1.4v)
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB V2 OC Edition (Overclocked +175 MHz Core @ +939 Mhz Memory)
Storage 1x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB & 1x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Both M.2 SSD) & 1x Samsung 870 EVO 2TB (S-ATA SSD)
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF (1800R Curved, VA Panel & 165 Hz Refresh Rate)
Case Phanteks Evolv Shift XT D-RGB (Black) (Modular)
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG SupremeFX (Realtek ALC4080 Codec & Savitech SV3H712 Amplifier) (On Motherboard)
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum (600w) (Modular) (SFX)
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3S (Graphite)
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys Mini (Nordic) (Grey)
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-bit) (Norwegian)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23: 20.130 (Multi Core) (Single Cycle Run).
I wonder on how this DAC compares to the 'Fiio BTR5' DAC that has been highly praised all over the places. I would expect the KA13 to be on par or slighty better.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I wonder on how this DAC compares to the 'Fiio BTR5' DAC that has been highly praised all over the places. I would expect the KA13 to be on par or slighty better.
BTR5 offers Bluetooth connectivity, not just USB. It also comes with app support as seen before here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fiio-btr5-portable-high-fidelity-bluetooth-amplifier/. That said, it's quite old now with no 4.4 mm balanced connector and there's a newer BTR15 on the way soon. There is also a more expensive BTR7 out too.

BTR5 offers Bluetooth connectivity, not just USB. It also comes with app support as seen before here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fiio-btr5-portable-high-fidelity-bluetooth-amplifier/. That said, it's quite old now with no 4.4 mm balanced connector and there's a newer BTR15 on the way soon. There is also a more expensive BTR7 out too.

Ultimately on a truly portable dack+amp or dongle I'm not going to slag them over lack of balanced.

Is balanced better? Yeah sure, in theory, in practice this is conflicted. With IEMs or basic ear buds single ended is fine almost all the time. (I'm avoiding 18 drivers per IEM type monsters on here, which at that point just get a fucking DAP). What really wants balanced is large over ear sets. Single ended is good enough for non demanding things over short cable runs. Balanced also guzzles power like an alcoholic in a brewery.

I get that it's a selling point, and that's all fine and good. But this sort of "it can run my open backed planar magnetic cans just fine and it's the size of a AA battery, but cuts my battery life in half is sort of silly. As is slapping an upgrade cable that's 50-150 bucks that has balanced onto a 50-200 buck DAC/AMP dongle and then routing it to a 150 buck set of IEMs.

It's fine and nice and all to have but it's not a deal breaker or even needed for most people. It's not idiotic like BT or MQA.

System Name Desktop/HTPC
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi ITX
Cooling ID Cooling DashFlow 240mm AIO
Memory 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB
Storage 4TB WD SN850X NVMe, 2TB WD SN850X NVMe
Display(s) LG OLED65B9PUA 65" 4K OLED TV
Case Lian Li x Dan A4-H20
Audio Device(s) USB to MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC, RCA to SUMO Andromeda amp, wired to Wharfedale SP88 speakers
Power Supply Silverstone SX1000R SFX-L Platinum ATX 3.0
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini
VR HMD Oculus Rift / PSVR / PSVR2 / Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 11 Pro
550mW in to an ideal load is hardly enough to really expand your options with full size headphones.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Ultimately on a truly portable dack+amp or dongle I'm not going to slag them over lack of balanced.

Is balanced better? Yeah sure, in theory, in practice this is conflicted. With IEMs or basic ear buds single ended is fine almost all the time. (I'm avoiding 18 drivers per IEM type monsters on here, which at that point just get a fucking DAP). What really wants balanced is large over ear sets. Single ended is good enough for non demanding things over short cable runs. Balanced also guzzles power like an alcoholic in a brewery.

I get that it's a selling point, and that's all fine and good. But this sort of "it can run my open backed planar magnetic cans just fine and it's the size of a AA battery, but cuts my battery life in half is sort of silly. As is slapping an upgrade cable that's 50-150 bucks that has balanced onto a 50-200 buck DAC/AMP dongle and then routing it to a 150 buck set of IEMs.

It's fine and nice and all to have but it's not a deal breaker or even needed for most people. It's not idiotic like BT or MQA.
It's not that the BTR5 lacks a balanced connector, rather that it has the older, less popular 2.5 mm TRRS output. But yeah I know what you mean with very, very few IEMs really needing anything other than 3.5 mm.

550mW in to an ideal load is hardly enough to really expand your options with full size headphones.
How so? That's 550 mW at 32 Ohm and most headphones will be super loud with that much power. Even planar magnetic headphones with, say, 90 dB/mW sensitivity and 32 Ohm impedance are rated to get as loud as 90 dB with a single mW of power. The vast majority of dynamic driver headphones will have even less issues getting loud. Now whether or not you think that's not enough in itself is a whole other matter.

System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
Interesting review.

Reminds me of the $70 TempoTec Sonata BHD, but this comes with 2xCS43131 and a balanced jack....

I hope the coming FiiO BTR15 will have an EQ-App like the "Qudelix - 5K Bluetooth USB DAC Verstärker mit LDAC, aptX Adaptive, aptX HD"