• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PMG Audio Apx In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
PMG Audio is a new IEM brand from the talented team behind Custom Art. It debuts with a big bang in the form of the Apx, a true TOTL set using a clever driver configuration paired with good engineering and a novel one-of-a-kind design to offer an engaging and highly detailed sound signature.

Show full review

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Uh, forgive me for skipping to the conclusion (I do this first to see what the price is), but this seems to be a review of a (exclusively-priced) product that you can cannot buy. All 25 units have already been sold?

Who is this review for, exactly? With expensive art or a million-dollar hypercar, a review has at least has some use for future users buying them at auction or whatever. I don't think there's much of a market for used earbuds that have been jammed into someone else's ear, covered in their ear wax and skin oils...

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Uh, forgive me for skipping to the conclusion (I do this first to see what the price is), but this seems to be a review of a (exclusively-priced) product that you can cannot buy. All 25 units have already been sold?

Who is this review for, exactly? With expensive art or a million-dollar hypercar, a review has at least has some use for future users buying them at auction or whatever. I don't think there's much of a market for used earbuds that have been jammed into someone else's ear, covered in their ear wax and skin oils...
There should not be any ear wax or skin oils on the IEMs, that's what the ear tips are for. Also, as I mentioned, I had to delay this review for reasons beyond my control. Finally, this is a precursor for an upcoming release that should be very similar to the Apx.

6500 dineros??? didn´t know they could be so expensive, just fro professionals probably, ufff

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
When your ear buds go through the washing machine: o_O

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
These sound sick! Can't wait until these advancements in IEM technology trickle down to us mortals :D

and the waranty is kinda low for that price, just two years, and be able to service/maintain

Low quality post by Bwaze
So an ofshoot of an already small and obscure IEM maker makes a "best headphone ever" with the price of a used car, which due to specifics of really small volume of ear canal can't really be objectively measured, so we end up with "trust me bro" impression, and praises on how exactly left headphone maches the right one.

But I guess that's what makes this hobby so interesting and hard to quantify...

Wait, the regular version of the Storm is going to cost more than the launch edition? o_O

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Yes, expected to be $6k or higher.
I'm not arguing with the price, Audiophile stuff can cost far more than this - I just know it's not for me!

I'm mid-40s and my hearing age is about where it should be for my age, yet I'm already unable to hear the nuances I used to from a set of 15-year-old high-end Sennheisers. I'm perfectly happy to get 95% of the performance for 5% of the price of this extreme flagship, super-premium, ultra-audiophile gear.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I'm not arguing with the price, Audiophile stuff can cost far more than this - I just know it's not for me!

I'm mid-40s and my hearing age is about where it should be for my age, yet I'm already unable to hear the nuances I used to from a set of 15-year-old high-end Sennheisers. I'm perfectly happy to get 95% of the performance for 5% of the price of this extreme flagship, super-premium, ultra-audiophile gear.
Yeah of course, it's beyond the purchasing means of most people. That's also why these are made as a limited edition to attract those who not only can afford it, but also want to buy it.

System Name Буря IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 2 280 AiO
Memory Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX6800 Nitro+
Storage Crucial NVMe SSDs
Display(s) Huawei Mateview GT 34"
Case McPrue Apollo S 3.0 (Rev.2) SFF
Audio Device(s) Ikko ITB03 → Softears RSV / Moondrop Aria / Final E500 | DAC-X6 Mk. II → DT770 Pro (don't like)
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Always impressing how many drivers they manage to cram in those tiny shells, i'd love to see a teardown of those but considering the price I doubt that's ever happening :D

Plenty of high-end IEMs and headphones (including ones more expensive than these) being sold on places like Head-fi, so there is a market.

Reactions: VSG
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Plenty of high-end IEMs and headphones (including ones more expensive than these) being sold on places like Head-fi, so there is a market.
Oh, I know there's a market - that wasn't my point.
My point was that it was a review of a 100% unattainable product, only 25 made, all 25 already sold. You cannot buy these if you want to.
If you read the rest of the discussion chain you'll see that @VSG is going to be reviewing some very similar IEMs soon that are based off the design of these - that's the only real relevance now.

I'm mid-40s and my hearing age is about where it should be for my age, yet I'm already unable to hear the nuances I used to from a set of 15-year-old high-end Sennheisers.
It's not for anyone, really TBH. I once spent $7K on an audiophile system (about $15K in today's dollars) and was surprised to find that neither myself nor anyone else I played it for could detect any difference. It sure looked impressive sitting in the living room though.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
It's not for anyone, really TBH. I once spent $7K on an audiophile system (about $15K in today's dollars) and was surprised to find that neither myself nor anyone else I played it for could detect any difference. It sure looked impressive sitting in the living room though.
As I said earlier, my hearing has lost the ability to discern much difference between decent cheap headphones (Koss Pro4/Grado SR80) and a pair of modest (by audiophile standards) $500 Sennheiser HD800s.

You're definitely into the realm of diminishing returns even at 1/10th the cost of these, but sound quality is only a part of the price - it's art, exclusivity, brand prestige, and a preference for the particular frequency response they've tuned it to.