• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4K Video and sound.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I have some questions I need some help with.
I just purchased a sweet Denon AVR-S750H and I am having some questions. I have everything setup and running absolutely amazing. There are no issues save one sound.
As the new Denon AVR system has HDMI in well you just plug in the (4K) HDMI cable from the computers video card to the AVR system from there it's easy as eating pie.
Here is my question it still says the signal in is still PCM.
Now is that NOT supposed to say HDMI?
I am wondering if I need a new video card or what.

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 59
System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
PCM is correct as thats the sound signal it's picking up, was the same on my old denon amp :)

The source name is where you can rename it so it says HDMI or what ever you want i believe.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
PCM is correct as thats the sound signal it's picking up, was the same on my old denon amp :)

The source name is where you can rename it so it says HDMI or what ever you want i believe.
Cool thanks. I was so hoping NOT to have to spend any more money lol.
My accountant said I had to slow down. LOL.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Am sure you can rename the HDMI ports to what ever you have pluged in.
I used to rename mine to PC and PS3 when i had one lol

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Am sure you can rename the HDMI ports to what ever you have pluged in.
I used to rename mine to PC and PS3 when i had one lol
Yes.
I just got it 2 days ago and this thing is AMAZING!
I would like to see the input signal filling in all the "blanks" though. Not sure why my computers video card is not giving me (well) more than the Denon is showing.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Case Modded NZXT H510
It all looks fine to me based on what i remember from my old Denon amp.

On the back of your new amp how many HDMI ports do you have and is the one you were using when you made this thread labled CBL/DAT ?

If it is then everything in the pic you posted is correct and all you need to do is find the option in your amp settings and change the source name to HDMI or PC or what ever device you pluged in :D

It's not your video card it's just how the amp is seeing things and it can't rename the inputs on it's own based on what you plug in.

Try not to overthink what you might want to see VS what is showing up as i promise you everything is fine :)

If you look closer you can see that your GPU and AMP are working fine because its showing the sound as multi channel and the signal is PCM and thats normal with our type of setups so all good.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
It all looks fine to me based on what i remember from my old Denon amp.

On the back of your new amp how many HDMI ports do you have and is the one you were using when you made this thread labled CBL/DAT ?

If it is then everything in the pic you posted is correct and all you need to do is find the option in your amp settings and change the source name to HDMI or PC or what ever device you pluged in :D

It's not your video card it's just how the amp is seeing things and it can't rename the inputs on it's own based on what you plug in.

Try not to overthink what you might want to see VS what is showing up as i promise you everything is fine :)

If you look closer you can see that your GPU and AMP are working fine because its showing the sound as multi channel and the signal is PCM and thats normal with our type of setups so all good.
Sweet thank you for the help.
I am just now renaming things and getting the Amp all sorted.
I am glad to know this is working right. Some one ( I can't remember whom) told me that the PCM would change to HDMI once you change the wire to a 4K high speed wire.
So I got 2, one for the computer to the Denon and one from the Denon to the Sony 4K.
There are 5 HDMI ports to choose from I just put it in the first one.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Case Modded NZXT H510
That person explained it wrong as PCM is the term a lot of AMP's use for sound input and then will tell you if its stereo or multi channel sound.
The HDMI term has nothing to do with the sound or anything so no idea what that person was trying to say lol.

Thanks for the pic to and just as i thought you used the CBL/SAT input so that is why it shows that name for the source and is very normal and as i said this is where you can choose to rename each port based on what you plug into it hehe :D

Nice setup btw seen one of your other posts recently where you was showing the speakers and sub and stuff \o/ Enjoy it to the max hehe.

Still confused why that person told you a high speed cable would make things change the name from PCM to HDMI lol and not to be rude to them but all i can say is idiot.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
That person explained it wrong as PCM is the term a lot of AMP's use for sound input and then will tell you if its stereo or multi channel sound.
The HDMI term has nothing to do with the sound or anything so no idea what that person was trying to say lol.

Thanks for the pic to and just as i thought you used the CBL/SAT input so that is why it shows that name for the source and is very normal and as i said this is where you can choose to rename each port based on what you plug into it hehe :D

Nice setup btw seen one of your other posts recently where you was showing the speakers and sub and stuff \o/ Enjoy it to the max hehe.

Still confused why that person told you a high speed cable would make things change the name from PCM to HDMI lol and not to be rude to them but all i can say is idiot.
Yeah I do not know why he did but it's all good.
I put in a Blueray disk and now I can see the DBX and all the other "surround sound settings". This thing is a MONSTER!
Much like my other AVR system the ONLY reason I got this is because I have a Sony 4K T.V. and thought since I have new speakers (Just picked up the 400w 12" sub R-12SW and a new Klipsch Center speaker just got it today) I needed to update the stereo system.
Lots of new stuff the Audyssey setup is so easy once done though the system can be rest by touching the quick select buttons, Still working on why it resets every thing when this is done. But it is one sweet setup aside from a few things I would change.
I have all Klipsch speakers except for the surround back they are still the DBX.
I changed the name to Computer and had to setup my speakers again.... Frustrating.

Finally working perfectly. Now it changes to the sound setting automatically!
I do not have to touch a thing anymore. Just play what I want and let the Denon AVR do all the work. AMAZING!

Attachments

• IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37