• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800pro(256mb) to FireGL X2-256t

C

Cid Lakewood

Hi everybody,

who has experience with modding a Sapphire 9800pro (256mb) with R360 Hynix 2.8 to a FireGL X2 ??

C

Cid Lakewood

therefor

Because I'm not a gamer, I need the FireGL functions for MAya and Softimage.
Have you something heard or read about my problem ??

Frozen

I suggest BUYING an FGL card. Itll be alot better than modding one.

Slayerstaps

yep..i don even kno if you can mod a 9800 pro to a fire gl so your better of buying a real one...

NemoNada

At the risk of insulting the folks of this forum :eek: (by mentioning a "competitor"), there is a guide for turning a 9800Pro into a FireGL X2. It is available at:

Adrian Rojak Pot's Radeon 9800 to FireGL-X2 Guide

It seems pretty straight forward and doesn't even require a BIOS mod if you use the drivers they recommend.

You won't have the 2 - DVI outputs that the "real" ;) FireGL X-2 has and I think there's a couple of other caveats as well.

One think to keep in mind is that "they" (Adrian Rojak Pot's people) don't think you can mod the 9800NP/Pro if it has the R350 core and several people here have done some pretty amazing things w/R350 cores.

I haven't done the procedure yet myself though I'm going to--like you I'm not a gamer and want the dual monitor desktop performance. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Take care,

Jim

"Guam: Where America's Day Begins!"

Slayerstaps

Well i'd say good luck and hope it works. Post your results back here if it worked :D

C

Cid Lakewood

Won

For all of you having "my" card:
Atlantis Sapphire 9800 Pro, 256mb with R360core and four memory chips on each side of the board (Hynix 2.8)
i can tell you, that it is't necessary to flash the bios, it functions well only with softmod to get a FireGL X2-256 with REDCD20.