• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alan Wake II on gtx 1080Ti

izy

Yeah. This uses the same approach I mentioned earlier. Merge meshlets into single vert and index buffers, pass to vertex shader as usual.
Weird results tho...
Yeah , lol , the mesh emulation is actually faster on AMD GPUs than using the mesh shaders but it might be different when implementing it into a game (something is off here :D, for sure we are missing many variables), if is just straightforward like that pretty bad that they didnt do it , maybe because its an NVIDIA sponsored game and it might not be working that well on NVIDIA or some evil NVIDIA plan to make 5700xt bad? (just speculating :D )

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I don't even know what mesh shaders are, but personally I couldn't care less if I still would have my old 1080 Ti as I haven't even played the first game much.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Strange performance happens in that video.

All the way from >200 FPS to sub 30.
Its clear Nvidia isn't doing driver work for Pascal here, first of all. Its also clear there is a certain graphical feature / LoD change that just kills any and all performance. Might be mesh shader related?

Another thing that's clear is that the IQ you get at low on this card makes no sense given its FPS. Its one big blurry mess and various games look a lot better at low while giving better perf on top.

Let's keep in mind Nvidia REALLY wants to tell you all that Pascal is EOL. This game spells it out, and is Nvidia sponsored - and not just a little bit either.
But in the meantime, they release cards in Ada that can barely rival 1080ti raw perf and even carry substantially lower bandwidth. Go figure. If you read between the lines here, you could say there is a lot more in the tank for this 1080ti, its just not extracted.

Nothing to do with driver work, it's that the hardware physically isn't capable of processing mesh shaders. The same problem occurs with RX Vega and RDNA 1, they are downlevel/obsolete 12_1-class hardware just like Pascal.

When i started the game,and when i saw i have 57-60 fps on 1280x720 resolution i was so excited to play at decent resolution HD,but the happines end ,when i saw constantly .......18 -24 fps..This game is GPU killer in my case.A long time ago, i thaught The last of us is a gpu killer,but i was wrong, Alan wake II is a new Crysis era gpu killer from 2007....or is bad optimized ,but i don;t think so
For this game only rtx 30 and 40 series will work great.
Enjoy play this game.!

The GP102 processor used in the GTX 1080 Ti was released in 2016 with the Titan X Pascal, which actually had a higher-end configuration against the 1080 Ti with the full 384-bit memory interface enabled. The 1080 Ti was a cutdown budget version released about a year later, when Nvidia also released a new Titan Xp with the full die and faster memory compared to both of the 1080 Ti and Titan X Pascal.

A lot of people forget that - it's like the lowest end variant of a 7 year old processor. It was an outrageously good card at the time, with a sky high cost/benefit ratio, but age has caught up to it. It still remains great to play DirectX 11 games or basic DX12 titles that don't make extensive use of Ultimate features, but anything designed with 12_2 in mind will run like absolute trash on the following:

- NVIDIA GTX 900 series "Maxwell", 12_1 feature level
- NVIDIA GTX 10 series "Pascal" 12_1 feature level
- AMD GCN 2 through 5.1 (R9 200/300 series, R9 Fury, RX 400/500 series, RX Vega, Radeon VII) with 12_0 and 12_1 feature level
- AMD RDNA 1 (RX 5000 series) with 12_1 feature level

If anyone's gaming on any of these cards and intends future AAA games, expect Alan Wake 2 to be the first of many games which will perform very sorry on that hardware. An upgrade is in order.

izy

@SunRise- you can check this project out maybe it helps restoring some of the performance (if you have time testing stuff).

"vkd3d-proton is a fork of VKD3D, which aims to implement the full Direct3D 12 API on top of Vulkan. The project serves as the development effort for Direct3D 12 support in Proton."

Usage (not sure exactly for this game): Just copy dxgi.dll + d3d12.dll to the folder of the executable.
Download: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/releases

Last edited:
@SunRise- you can check this project out maybe it helps restoring some of the performance (if you have time testing stuff).

"vkd3d-proton is a fork of VKD3D, which aims to implement the full Direct3D 12 API on top of Vulkan. The project serves as the development effort for Direct3D 12 support in Proton."

Usage (not sure exactly for this game): Just copy dxgi.dll + d3d12.dll to the folder of the executable.
Download: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/releases
i will try to see if is working.thanks
but i can t find there dxgi.dll + d3d12.dll

• Sad
Reactions: izy

izy

You can find d3d12.dll and d3d12core.dll in the vkd3d-proton-2.10.tar.zst but i dont see them in the game folder so i am not sure if you just drop them there if it will work or you have to replace them in some other place , as far as i know they should be in the game folder. ( i never used it myself)

Some games fail to load all required DXVK DLLs even when they are correctly placed next to the game's executable. Applicatons may choose to only load DLLs from the system's System32 directory rather than the exxecutable path, in which case the game will either crash or continue using the native D3D implementation. A common scenario that causes a crash is when the game loads dxgi.dll from System32, but then uses the d3d11.dll provided by DXVK.
Games that support both D3D11 and D3D12 may try to create a device for both API versions. When using DXVK, this will only work if vkd3d-proton is used as the D3D12 implementation, in addition to DXVK. Likewise, some D3D12 games will require DXVK's D3D11 implementation to be present.

You can prob find more info here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/wiki/Windows

----------
UPDATE

@SunRise- I managed to make it work , as you see in the picture i no longer have the option to use DLSS, PPQ and RTX options are gray out.. (im using RTX 2060 super) so im assuming that is working using vulkan api.
What i did to make it work is that i took dxgi.dll from dxvk-2.3.tar and d3d12.dll + d3d12core.dll from vkd3d-proton-2.10.tar and moved the into the game dir. ( you can also get the dxgi.dll from dxvk-async-2.0.tar , feels that im getting ~5 more fps with it but thats margin of error)
I uploaded an zipped file containing all 3 files (just copy them into the game folder) , you can download them from here or you can just go and get them from the official gits.
Let me know if you get better or worse fps using this mod - i am getting over 100FPS , low settings and FRS quality with this mod in that scene you can see in the pic but my card has mesh shaders and i think it uses them in vulkan too.

1698625510523.png
1698626505620.png

Attachments

• Alan Wake 2 DX2Vulkan.zip
    2 MB · Views: 1,244
  • Alan Wake 2 DX2Vulkan Async.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 971
Last edited:
i copied all 3 files from Alan Wake 2 DX2Vulkan.zip into my game dir,i update my driver gpu card to the latest version,and now i have 30-37 fps constantly.....it's much much much much better.Before i had 22 fps,and now i have 37 fps.The game is much smoother now
thank you

Attachments

• vulkan.jpg
    vulkan.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 622

izy

i copied all 3 files from Alan Wake 2 DX2Vulkan.zip into my game dir,i update my driver gpu card to the latest version,and now i have 30-37 fps constantly.....it's much much much much better.Before i had 22 fps,and now i have 37 fps.The game is much smoother now
thank you
Welcome man , glad it helped a little bit , you should try the second zip too ( Alan Wake 2 DX2Vulkan Async.zip) , you may gain 3 4 fps more if you are lucky(you could try OC-ing your GPU vram , + 4-600mhz on mine gave me like 2 -3 extra fps, maybe is more impactful on your GPU) , also maybe they will release a new patch at some point with some optimizations (and usually outside that forest you should get better fps).

Last edited:
the max fps i can get is 37-38 fps in some zones,but the game is still choppines for this old card,no way.This game require DX 12_2 ultimate capabilities.
But i am glad i can play with 37 fps now instead 22-24 fps....for me is much better
thanks again man....

This mighty card will remain forever in our hearts !! gtx 1080ti R.I.P.!
Pascal R.I.P !

What are you talking about? The GTX1080ti can run AlanWake2. Settings need to be turned down, but it'll run, as shown in the following article;
This shows that it'll get 16FPS on MAX setting. Turn them down, it's runs fine.

Though facing facts, the GTX1080ti is getting old for new AAA games.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
To be fair, aftermarket tells the same story. In some countries, Russia and Ukraine included, 1080 Ti is available for as little as $110—150. Some guys here earn more in a day. And if we exclude a couple shady (pun intended) games this is an absolute banger for its money. Especially if you pay stupid little money for electricity.

It's also valid to ditch Pascal in this particular game because no GPU of 1080 Ti's calibre performs well here. Even the best case scenario, an RTX 3060, is derping in 40s at native 1080p. Why optimising a game for GPUs which even theoretically can't deliver good experience? This makes development easier and more bug free.

This is still greedy but this time, greed is valid. Unlike that greed in VRAM challenged mid- and high-range GPUs of two latest generations. Unlike that greed in Ada GPUs pricing. Unlike that greed in disabling Frame Generator for everything that's not Ada...
Its valid, certainly. Its also possible to create a much better looking game on this card (than its Low performance/IQ), that doesn't deviate one bit in terms of gameplay either.

Not saying its a bad thing that this happens, its just, a thing.

dany00711

Guys can i copy this 3 files also when i using GTX 1050 ti ? and this 3 or this 3 async ?

i had no problem playing just i see some graphics glitches in forest you go then you see textures over you like in river :D
on alan wake levels no problem now i am in hotel 665 room.

on kavalanga i had problem with lock cos it show on lock only white squares without any symbol so i set shader res to lowest then it showing symbols in white not in red but somehow i unlock it

i normally play on 1902x1068 res and shaders to quality. Dont know how much fps but it playable.

hope someone make patch for this shaders glitches...

my potato :D I5 7400 16gb ddr4 ssd windows 11

Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti WINDFROCE OC
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
the 2080 Ti mined was alive and kicking one month ago. what happened.

type7

I've tried those files with my RX 5700 XT on Win 11, but the game didn't start after adding them. Any suggestions? Maybe there's something that would make it work.

upd. Maybe crashing after mesh shaders warning window has something to do with me using nimez drivers, I've previously installed them to see if I would get any performance gains in AW2 (spoiler: I wouldn't)

Last edited:

izy

Guys can i copy this 3 files also when i using GTX 1050 ti ? and this 3 or this 3 async ?

i had no problem playing just i see some graphics glitches in forest you go then you see textures over you like in river :D
on alan wake levels no problem now i am in hotel 665 room.

on kavalanga i had problem with lock cos it show on lock only white squares without any symbol so i set shader res to lowest then it showing symbols in white not in red but somehow i unlock it

i normally play on 1902x1068 res and shaders to quality. Dont know how much fps but it playable.

hope someone make patch for this shaders glitches...

my potato :D I5 7400 16gb ddr4 ssd windows 11
Yes , i think that any GPU that supports Vulkan can use it, it will translate the DX12 into Vulkan so there will be some overhead but it might help some older cards to run better, i was getting the same performance as normal with them on 2060 super.
Im curios to see how an 5700xt will do with them, if any gains to have there, or even older cards like RX 580 or Intel Arc.
It seems that OP got an performance boost of 50%+ with them on 1080TI.

They can also be used in other games that are using DX12 and they are not supported by older GPUs but its a hit or miss , not sure which games or GPUs will work with them and which won't , you just have to try and see, also if your GPU is already running the game correctly i think this MOD will only slow it down but costs nothing to try it if u want .I also think that you have to be on Win8 or higher , perf on WIN 10 or 11.

Last edited:

dany00711

yes works for now works smooth i see if there is still graphics glitches...

Attachments

• Bez názvu.jpg
    Bez názvu.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 313

Crackhead

yes works for now works smooth i see if there is still graphics glitches...
What exactly did you do? I downloaded a zip with 3 files, unpacked them into the game folder, but when I launch the game, I either get a black screen or the game closes (I'm using GTX 1070)

dany00711

i normal copy all files into game directory i download this first dxvulkan zip not this async...

good news for all 1080ti users.Now this game is playable even in full hd resolution.This mighty card is immortal.For me now is irrelevant because i am 2080ti owner :)