• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone knows anything about the 45W Radeon RX 560?

Sapphire being a long time AMD partner, they probably have access to higher binned chips (especially considering Sapphire is the only one providing highest clocked RX580's). Or they fine tuned them for lower power consumption.

Two years ago, something similar was done with the Geforce 950 - it required 90W of power and a 6-Pin power connector, but a 75W version was released that could run only from the power provided by the PCI-e slot. There were lots of written articles online for this card and lots of benchmarks.
Now, history seems to repeat itself, only this time, this card is even more efficient, going from 90W to only 45, but there are no online reviews. Why???

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I'd like to see performance numbers on that card too. Wonder how high it can be clocked and what power it draws overclocked.

I currently have a test GTX 1050Ti without any power connectors, meaning it's limited to 75W from PCIe. With some clever fiddling with the voltage and clock curve, I managed to push it up to 1800MHz when it started hitting PWR limit. Stock, it was running only 1650 MHz while already hitting PWR limit.

So, I think Sapphire did just this. Got a bunch of GPU's that have a certain ASIC quality and fiddled with the voltage curve since Polaris has a similar thing as Pascal (granular voltage curve), although they don't use a "GPU Boost" the way NVIDIA does.
Polaris is actually very efficient when not clocked stupendously high. Every GPU has a sweet spot where it's consuming the least power for max performance. Once you go higher, power consumption becomes stupid high. If you go tiny bit below, it can increase dramatically. Polaris was designed to be super efficient in terms of power, but they weren't getting the clocks to compete with NVIDIA so they pushed it a bit past that sweet spot.

Which can be seen with the clocks which are a bit lower on 45W version. The normal RX560 comes with 1300MHz core where 45W one comes with 1216MHz core. A difference in 100MHz can shift the efficiency balance quite dramatically.