• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
If you have suggestions for another fault this board might have, I'm listening. :rockout:

No RGB is a fault since nearly everything is RGB these days, making the lack of onboard RGB a lack of a feature, especially given that the board supports addressing 5050 LED strips (and memory sticks) right within its BIOS. The RGB control is great too.. there's no conflict between BIOS settings and software settings.. change it in one, and the other retains the changes for you. That means you don't need the RGB software running all the time to get the lights to light up the way you like, unlike many other board products. With RGB things so good, it sure is a shame that they didn't include a bank or two on the board itself!
I think the only complaint I see with this in my opinion (At least major) is the VRM cooling. I personally prefer MITX boards to have better cooling on them because of the small size. But I also prefer to heavily clock most chips so it depends on the situation. Seems like a good board other than that to me.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
Cooling Wraith Prism
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz 16GB (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) -
Storage Samsung 850 Evo, 860 Evo, 980 and Crucial MX500
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 Odyssey
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply -
VR HMD Quest 2
AM4 motherboards and VRM + SOC power phases are all the hype nowadays, can you guys include those details in your reviews?

Supposedly Asrock's CPU phase isnt a true 8 phase.

An overclock on the iGPU+CPU (using a 2400G) to test the SOC phase wouldve been nice.

Looking foward to mATX and the ROG B450-I strix reviews

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Supposedly Asrock's CPU phase isnt a true 8 phase.
There aren't many eight-phase controllers in the first place. Nor is this really an issue. It feels to me like a stretch to expect a $125 board to feature a VRM that should be on a $350 board, such as LINK

More 8-phase controllers:

TI's 4-output, 8-phase controller:

http://www.ti.com/product/UCD9248

ONSEMI's 8-phase GPU controller (specifically designed for NVidia's GPUs):

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NCP81274-D.PDF

CHL 8-phase, dual output:

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/pb-chl8326.pdf

ISL's controller can be found here:

https://www.intersil.com/en/product.../digital-multiphase-controllers/ISL69138.html

These parts are not cheap.

People don't seem to understand that a VRM controller needs to be specifically designed for a platform. :p Meanwhile they are sure going nuts over this VRM thing, and all I can say is "welcome to my reviews from 8 years ago, nice to see you catch up finally, but there's more to this story than you are being told". I guess everyone complaining about this wants to pay $500 for a motherboard these days then, and that's fine, but misdirected, IMHO.

Last edited:
System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
A good VRM doesn't cost the difference between a $130 and a $350 board...

There should be boards with good VRMs but more cut back expansion options.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
A good VRM doesn't cost the difference between a $130 and a $350 board...

There should be boards with good VRMs but more cut back expansion options.
You're right, it's just one part of what makes a board worth a decent amount, however, there are many components and complexity in VRM design, and it's not just what you see... the board needs to be designed between its layers to work that way as well, and this board complexity drives up the cost a fair bit too, plus the added parts you see around the socket for this. Moving from a 4-layer board to an 8-layer board is twice the motherboard. :p

Eneen

Question here about idle power consumption: so if you measure power @ 8 pin plug then 7W is actually idle CPU power reported or I get something wrong?
If I'm correct, is it possible that you provide whole platform idle power? I'm considering 2700 build with this board and looking for 25W< idle power from wall with my 1050Ti (about 4W idle) and seasonic fanless platinum PSU.

Be aware that AsRock has really, I mean really bad software support and by software support I am talking about drivers and specially their bioses. As we all know a great hardware is just as good as it's bios/drivers allow it to be. With being said AsRock has earned the GARBAGE award when it comes to it's bios for their flagship motherboards, right now it is really a disgrace. Their actual support is pretty much non-existent as they may take months or maybe never answer your support tickets. All around it is a shame since their hardware has shown to have potential to be great.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9371&PN=14&title=psa-stay-away-from-480-bios-x370-taichi

I would like reviewers to do a more in deep job when talking and evaluating overclocking/functionality features of motherboards as there is rarely a mention the obvious problems that come with these things

thumbs down: "NO RGB", "It's small", "Only 2 DIMM"... WTF?!
I know this is an old thread but I B450 boards are still for sale. I have to admit the review was ridiculous. Giving it a thumbs down for "being small"? 'two dimm slots"? "no rgb"? It is a mini itx boards duh!