• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z370/Z390 Taichi (and some others, actively modding!) Firmware with Intel Management Engine Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
THIS PROJECT IS PRESENTLY ON HOLD.

This is simply 1.80 "Instant Flash" firmware for the Z370 Taichi (and now with help from @Mork_vom_Ork, the Z270 SuperCarrier v2.40) straight from ASRock stock unmodifed (minus some sig checks disabled) other than the Intel Management Engine firmware being scrubbed/disabled/neutered with the available me_cleaner tools from github.

There are also experimental images for other boards.

It should be noted that me_cleaner does not completely remove the Intel ME anymore (that's impossible) however it does rather install "neutered" firmware that removes as much as it can and instructs the coprocessor to shutdown the management engine completely following POST.

The effect is the management engine and all it's features no longer function. Don't install this if you depend on something the management engine provides (Intel's software TPM functionality or similar come to mind, SGX extensions maybe, not much else if anything really).

Everything else on the board works as far as I can tell, including overclocking (though I did not test BCLK OCing) and fan control.

You can revert to the old firmware at any time.

INSTRUCTIONS:

File is a zip. Unzip single contained file to FAT32 USB. Do not rename the file. Instant Flash tool in their stock UEFI will now find it and allow you to flash it (unless you turned USB support off at boot time, of course).

If you get a sig check warning, try flashing from an older stock bios.

Also, you are downloading this from a PC that is actively crypto mining. It shouldn't effect anything, and is being done to save energy over a separate server, but needless to say if your download breaks, it probably rebooted. Try again.

Questions/comments go in this thread. Technical discussion / bug reports only please. I want to keep this thread clean of any politics besides my own. :laugh:

Stable Board Downloads here:

Experimental Board Firmware here: (be sure and read the readme/warning for these images)

The two sections are optional reading, and apply (mostly) to when this thread only supported the Z370 Taichi.

Some tech notes: This was a bit more than just running "me_cleaner.py" on the bios image. ASRock won't flash the ME region of the bios unless it thinks it's newer than the existing one. So I had to splice in newer than ASRock's latest ME firmware (it exists) and then disable that particular ME image with me_cleaner. ASRock Firmware then accepts it as newer and will flash it to the ME region, disabling the Intel ME entirely. From there, you can revert back to ME-enabled firmware freely, because this special image identifies as "Intel ME version 0.0.0.0" so ASRock thinks literally ANY other image on earth is newer than this one. It's harmless to try, though obviously you do so at your own risk, like any BIOS flash. I will say I have had absolutely zero issues.

Note that I can support other boards but I'm familiar most with GIGABYTE and ASRock sig checks (with maybe a side of ASUS), and I won't be able to test preflash, so you would have to flash at your own risk with no testing done.

Some political notes: I do not subscribe to the idea that the Intel Management Engine is a "NSA backdoor" or any of that tinfoil-hat garbage. People who don't understand technology need to get a grip and listen to those who at least somewhat do: There's really no way it can be, as it's web traffic and stack is wiresharkable so if that were the case we'd know by today. Yes they could encrypt it but we'd still see an encrypted data stream at random times that'd be suspicious, and we don't. To Intel's limited credit, it actually seems to try to do exactly what it says on the tin. But what I object to (and what I hate equally about AMD's PSP) is that this is effectively a closed binary which has been found to have many holes, many times. From a security perspective, you are much better off disabling it, regardless of what Intel intends. As far as AMD vs Intel, there is no "psp_cleaner" and little research has been done into AMD's PSP, so for the security minded, I'd say an Intel platform is still far better given we understand far more about this ghost in our machine (and thus how to defeat it) than the other teams. I am unaware of anyway to defeat the PSP, and if AMD's claims are to be believed, it's actually not possible as it sets up essential boot time memory. Seriously bad practice if true, IMO.

EDIT:

The z390 Taichi is now supported. It was a very diffilcult board but all z390 boards will likely be the same if not harder.

Why? Intel changed the format of the management engine region of the bios in ME 12, which is used in z390 on up. This means we can't mod it using open source tools like me_cleaner anymore.

Not content to just give up with that, I used an undocumented mode intended for government targets to instruct the ME to turn itself off (credit to people much more skilled than me for finding this). Since the government trusts intel with this mdoe and it is pretty much certainly Intel's mode for computers they sell to government clients with data sensitive needs, I think we can assume that even though the management engine firmware is still present, it turns itself off just like it tells you. The government would be all over them if they were lying about that.

How long that mode will remain now that the public has discovered it is anyones guess... For now, here is bios 1.80 for the Z390 Taichi with ME disabled. Find it in the usual spot.

Be aware, the procedure to activate this mod is slightly different. You MUST first flash official 1.80. This is not negotiable, it must happen.

After that, unzip the archive, open an admin command prompt, and cd to the directory you unzipped the archive too.

Type "flashme" and wait for it to finish.

Reboot and go straight to bios.

You should be presented for a few moments with a menu similar to the following, the full unlocked bios. You don't want to horse around with 90% of this stuff, it's dangerous. The only thing you want is under "PCH-FW Configuration." Go there.

View attachment 113943

Under that menu you have a nice menu option that lets you turn the ME on and off at whim. NOTE: Despite the wording "ME Temporarily Disabled," it is permanent short of anything that resets your CMOS. Not often that happens and if it does, you can just turn it off again.

View attachment 113944

So, test, enjoy, and let me know if any bugs appear. Seems to work for me!

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
This is simply 1.80 "Instant Flash" firmware for the Z370 Taichi straight from ASRock stock unmodifed (minus some sig checks disabled) other than the Intel Management Engine firmware being scrubbed/disabled/neutered with the available me_cleaner tools from github.

It should be noted that me_cleaner does not completely remove the Intel ME anymore (that's impossible) however it does rather install "neutered" firmware that removes as much as it can and instructs the coprocessor to shutdown the management engine completely following POST.

The effect is the management engine and all it's features no longer function. Don't install this if you depend on something the management engine provides (Intel's software TPM functionality or similar come to mind, SGX extensions maybe, not much else if anything really).

Everything else on the board works as far as I can tell, including overclocking (though I did not test BCLK OCing) and fan control.

You can revert to the old firmware at any time.

INSTRUCTIONS:

File is a zip. Unzip single contained file to FAT32 USB. Do not rename the file. ASRock Instant Flash tool in their stock UEFI will now find it and allow you to flash it (unless you turned USB support off at boot time, of course).

Also, you are downloading this from a PC that is actively crypto mining. It shouldn't effect anything, and is being done to save energy over a seperate server, but needless to say if your download breaks, it probably rebooted. Try again.

Questions/comments go in this thread. Technical discussion / bug reports only please. I want to keep this thread clean of any politics besides my own. :laugh:

Downloads here:

The two sections are optional reading.

Some tech notes: This was a bit more than just running "me_cleaner.py" on the bios image. ASRock won't flash the ME region of the bios unless it thinks it's newer than the existing one. So I had to splice in newer than ASRock's latest ME firmware (it exists) and then disable that particular ME image with me_cleaner. ASRock Firmware then accepts it as newer and will flash it to the ME region, disabling the Intel ME entirely. From there, you can revert back to ME-enabled firmware freely, because this special image identifies as "Intel ME version 0.0.0.0" so ASRock thinks literally ANY other image on earth is newer than this one. It's harmless to try, though obviously you do so at your own risk, like any BIOS flash. I will say I have had absolutely zero issues.

Note that I can support other boards but I'm familiar most with GIGABYTE and ASRock sig checks (with maybe a side of ASUS), and I won't be able to test preflash, so you would have to flash at your own risk with no testing done.

Some political notes: I do not subscribe to the idea that the Intel Management Engine is a "NSA backdoor" or any of that tinfoil hate-garbage. People who don't understand technology need to get a grip and listen to those who at least somewhat do: There's really no way it can be, as it's web traffic and stack is wiresharkable so if that were the case we'd know by today. Yes they could encrypt it but we'd still see an encrypted data stream at random times that'd be suspicious, and we don't. To Intel's limited credit, it actually seems to try to do exactly what it says on the tin. But what I object to (and what I hate equally about AMD's PSP) is that this is effectively a closed binary which has been found to have many holes, many times. From a security perspective, you are much better off disabling it, regardless of what Intel intends. As far as AMD vs Intel, there is no "psp_cleaner" and little research has been done into AMD's PSP, so for the security minded, I'd say an Intel platform is still far better given we understand far more about this ghost in our machine (and thus how to defeat it) than the other teams. I am unaware of anyway to defeat the PSP, and if AMD's claims are to be believed, it's actually not possible as it sets up essential boot time memory. Seriously bad practice if true, IMO.

What about System Management bus?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
What about System Management bus?

SMBus has little to do with the risks of the management engine. AFAIK it only is a simple two wire bus for things like power management, has no real processing abilities, and is inapplicable here / we certainly wouldn't want to disable it. Honestly, I'm not even sure if that's possible.

If your asking if power management and such function, yes, they do. SMbus is not disabled.

Some reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Bus

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
SMBus has little to do with the risks of the management engine. AFAIK it only is a simple two wire bus for things like power management, has no real processing abilities, and is inapplicable here / we certainly wouldn't want to disable it. Honestly, I'm not even sure if that's possible.

If your asking if power management and such function, yes, they do. SMbus is not disabled.

Some reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Bus

Okay so it's a self-contained bus then not able to be extremely modified other than a firmware update so it has no Communications Bridge with the internet.

Just the name itself, made my stomach tied in a knot.

Yeah I just never looked up the SM bus

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Shame the x86 Quark on the PCH couldn't be re-purposed after POST.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Shame the x86 Quark on the PCH couldn't be re-purposed after POST.

The firmware is signed, or I'd be doing all sorts of fun assembly code with it. ;)

Though it's actually in the CPU now. Versions on the PCH weren't x86, I think they were actually ARC cores.

The only reason we are able to do this is because Intel was kind enough to not check certain firmware volumes signatures if they don't exist, at least at present. Frankly, I'm surprised they've kept that policy this long.

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
This is the first I have ever heard about IME. I only clicked the link because I have this motherboard. What is the benefit of going through this? Just to prevent potential security breeches?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Yes, basically. You trade some mostly insignificant functionality for better security.

tpupusr

Hi, would you walk us through the process of doing this for an Asus Strix Z370-G Gaming bios? I really want to build a m-atx system and this looks like the best board. I'm comfortable doing external flashing of SPI chip if that's necessary or applicable. Thanks a lot!

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Hi, would you walk us through the process of doing this for an Asus Strix Z370-G Gaming bios? I really want to build a m-atx system and this looks like the best board. I'm comfortable doing external flashing of SPI chip if that's necessary or applicable. Thanks a lot!

I tried a recent ASUS board (the somewhat similar Z270F in the "EXPERIMENTAL" folder, doesn't work BTW so was removed) and ASUS has made it harder since they went all "capsule" based images. I'm actually surprised, because I can't find a work around for any of the more recent ASUS boards.

Your best "sure-fire" bet is to open your stock image in a tool like "UEFITool" and extracting as-is the "Intel Image" segment directly beneath the capsule. Then mod that, and SPI flash that to your board.

If you want I can prepare an SPI flashable image for you, if you know how to SPI flash.

EDIT:

There are now two experimental images in the http://glacialsoftware.net/FIRMWARE/EXPERIMENTAL/ folder supporting the Strix Z370-G

The .CAP version MIGHT just work via q-flash in the bios, but it's a long shot (will most likely fail to flash the ME harmlessly, no real brick risk there, it will just skip the ME update part of the flash). It's more likely this will work than that if you have to not use an external programmer, but there is a small brick risk:

Using the ASUS AI Suite
Our Forum member Wishbringer reported, that he was able to successfully flash modded *.CAP BIOSes into the BIOS chip of several Intel 7-, 8- and 9-Series Chipset ASUS mainboards by doing the following:
  1. Download AI-Suite (when not for Win10 available use Version for 8.1)
  2. Start Easy Update for BIOS Update in Windows, select ORIGINAL file (then some timeconsuming checking seems to happen)
  3. Before start flashing delete selected original file and replace with modded one (same name, same location).
  4. Proceed with bios flash.

Credit to win-raid.com forums.

There is also a .ROM version of the image. An SPI programmer can use that. I am not sure if it'll preserve your mac address or if that is saved in your old image though, so make a back up of your original image in case you need "AFS" (After Flashing Support) to patch that back in. ;)

Last edited:

tpupusr

R-T-B, Thank you for the informative and helpful response. There is a lot for me to parse through here. I've been doing some additional reading and came across this link:
https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/issues/98#issuecomment-345777663

Is this essentially what you did? I'm interested in learning the actual process myself (though I very much appreciate your supplied files and may end up using them if I can't figure it out on my own).

Finally, as a general question, it seems like as long as I'm using an external SPI programmer, I have three least likelihood of bricking the system since I can always just rewrite the original bios backup. Correct? (Btw, I'm using a RPI with a chip clip and flashrom).

Thanks again!

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Is this essentially what you did? I'm interested in learning the actual process myself (though I very much appreciate your supplied files and may end up using them if I can't figure it out on my own).

Yes for the .ROM image, although my .ROM does not contain a MAC and it appears you WILL need to transfer that manually (unless you like your mac being "88:88:88:88:88", which can be an issue). I can help you with advice on how to do that if you'd like. :)

Finally, as a general question, it seems like as long as I'm using an external SPI programmer, I have three least likelihood of bricking the system since I can always just rewrite the original bios backup. Correct? (Btw, I'm using a RPI with a chip clip and flashrom).

Yep, with an SPI and chip clip as long as you can read/flash succesfully and have a backup there is really no brick risk. Actually, it can even be a profitable endeavor to rescue "bad bios flash" board from ebay this way if so inclined. ;)

Thanks again!

No problem! Good luck. :)

Mork_vom_Ork

Hi there R-T-B,

ist possible to just do the "Intel ME version 0.0.0.0" stuff on latest ASRock Z270 Super Carrier bios 2.40 - so i can flash ME firmware with v11.6.xx.xx ?
Currently i have ME firmware 11.8.50.34, but i need to downgrade to 11.6.10.xx - which then might be possible w/o smi programming the whole BIOS chip with an earlier BIOS (like 2.20).
I could upload the desired BIOS somewhere if you could manage this.

Any help is appreciated,
regards... Mork vom Ork

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Hi there R-T-B,

ist possible to just do the "Intel ME version 0.0.0.0" stuff on latest ASRock Z270 Super Carrier bios 2.40 - so i can flash ME firmware with v11.6.xx.xx ?
Currently i have ME firmware 11.8.50.34, but i need to downgrade to 11.6.10.xx - which then might be possible w/o smi programming the whole BIOS chip with an earlier BIOS (like 2.20).
I could upload the desired BIOS somewhere if you could manage this.

Any help is appreciated,
regards... Mork vom Ork

I can certainly try, but out of curiousity, why downgrade? Most of the time that's a pretty bad idea...

Mork_vom_Ork

cause i want to try to get an i3-8350K CoffeeLake CPU running on that board - and therefor i need to downgrade to ME 11.6.xx.xx - cause Intel disabled this feature in all newer ME firmwares.
Of cause you need to modify some other values within the BIOS, too - like Coffeelake Microcode, lates VBIOS and GOP driver - but this all is already done.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Almost bought that mobo, but I got the MSI Z370 Tomahawk on sale for $105 shipped, and it apparently has better VRM cooling than most mobos according to tweaktown. My first choice was this Taichi though.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
cause i want to try to get an i3-8350K CoffeeLake CPU running on that board - and therefor i need to downgrade to ME 11.6.xx.xx - cause Intel disabled this feature in all newer ME firmwares.
Of cause you need to modify some other values within the BIOS, too - like Coffeelake Microcode, lates VBIOS and GOP driver - but this all is already done.

AFAIK scrubbing the ME may acomplish the same thing, but I will produce a scrubbed image for you to try. If it does not work, try downgrading, it should allow it if it behaves like the Taichi...

Expect an experimental image later today. Obviously you try it at your own risk.

EDIT: If you have an image you want me to try this on, please upload it somewhere and link. I'll begin work on this probably around noon PST if it's available by then. I'll also produce a "stock" image for my collection of course.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Thanks. That archive has both 2.40 (stock) and 2.50 (modded), with your changes aparently in 2.50. Is there any reason for me to mod both, or is 2.50 enough?

Your board doesn't have any kind of antidowngrade other that the ME stuff, right?

Mork_vom_Ork

2.50 is right of cause. didn't noticed, that 2.40 is also in that ZIP file.
And yes, you are right: no other way to downgrade firmware in any other way.

YOU ARE OUR LAST HOPE, Obi Wan Kenobi.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Hello, all done. As usual, this is completely untested so I suggest you are prepared to buy a programmer if something goes wrong:

This should work in the native UEFI flashing app:

http://glacialsoftware.net/FIRMWARE/EXPERIMENTAL/

First, download the one without the "CL" and flash it. You should be at version 0.0.0.0 now.

Now, download the one marked "CL." It should support Coffee Lake from including your mods.

You may need to rename them their stock names for the flashing app to find them. BTW there is no 2.50 version, there is only 2.40. I assume you did a little version bump of your own. ;)

Mork_vom_Ork

Thanx in advance. I will try now, so stay tuned for my feedback.
And yes: i named the file 2.50 to recognize that this one was the modified bios when flashing through instant flash.

I'll be back.

Mork_vom_Ork

First thing: i'll be back with successfully flashed modded non "CL" bios. So this one works.
But: when i try to flash ME firmware to 11.6.10.xx, the flasher already asks: "do you really want to downgrade firmware?" and after that i got the message, that downgrading ME firmware is not supported: please contact your vendor.

But generally the modified bios worked. But System ist still on ME Firmware 11.8.50.34.
Anything else i could try?

maybe we could try with SuperCarrier bios v2.20 - cause that one contains the desired ME firmware within the original file provided by ASRock, while v2.40 has originally ME firmware 11.8.50.3460
i will be so gradefull if you could try it on originally ASRock Z270SC_2.20, which can be downloaded here: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/1151/Z270 SuperCarrier(2.20)ROM.zip

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I'm out now, but would like to give it another try with that image (it is likely rejecting my image due to it being based on generic 11.6). Will attempt when I get back. Be done likely by 3pm PST

EDIT: Got back way earlier than anticipated, man!

New revision 2 for you to try @Mork_vom_Ork, please download and attempt.

http://glacialsoftware.net/FIRMWARE/EXPERIMENTAL/

If it does not work, don't dispair as long as it flashes at least part of it you are likely ok! This image attempts to also unlock the flash descriptor, which means it may allow us some sneakier ways to flash a downgrade. Get in touch with me by PM if you do not see your ME version drop after this. I would be happy to set up a chat to personally assist you. No fee, just want to expand my library of supported boards and your help is pay enough. :)

I have a sneaking suspicion this dxe module is all that was blocking you though, removed now... ;)

MeFwDowngradeDxe.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.