• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Tuf FX504 single channel Ram huge performance issue

Matiasslutzky

Hi guys! So I’ve bought a few months ago this laptop to run Prepar3d (a flight simulator like FSX but professional and better built in performance).
i7 8750h, Nvidia 1060, 16gb ram (one stick) and SSD.
I’ve tried all and I cannot get more than 25 FPS (and very laggy(not stutters because I fixed that with RTSS)).
Bios windows drivers, all up to date. No viruses. Tried reinstalling windows (fresh and long reinstalls) and also different versions of the simulator. Always the same results.

My cpu and gpu usage is around 30% and never goes up. My girlfriend plays Sims with graphics all maxed out and gets +100 FPS but with the same cpu and gpu usage I get. In her game ram arrives to 4gb max. On mine around 8, with the graphics bars all mostly on the left side. I fixed the thermals issues by following procedures here and repasting with Arctic thermal paste.
CPU frequency always stays around 3900
I’ve tried to run TS bench but I can’t understand how people talk about getting errors and I don’t see any. Where should I see the results?

Anyway. I’ve read in some forums that my issue “must” be that I’m running with single channel ram, which limits the data arriving to the cpu. So no matter how much the cpu or gpu should be running, not enough data arrives to them (or the cpu) and that gives the low usage and low FPS.
What do you guys say?

thank in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 156
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
For CPU Core you have Icc Max as 11A, default should be 128A.
If you undervolt the Intel GPU, the iGPU Unslice must be the same value.
Increase Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 60.

Matiasslutzky

Done. I’ll try but before using this soft I had the same issues with the CPU usage. What do you think about the ram?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Single channel is slower, but i'm not sure you would see a massive performance hit, hopefully others can chime in.

aQi

Well if you have another ram why dont you try ?

But first make sure your game does not need any patch in this senerio.

I presume both of you igpu and nvidia drivers are upto date. However can you make sure the simulation/game that you are playing is not running on Intel igpu ???

Matiasslutzky

Well if you have another ram why dont you try ?

But first make sure your game does not need any patch in this senerio.

I presume both of you igpu and nvidia drivers are upto date. However can you make sure the simulation/game that you are playing is not running on Intel igpu ???
The simulator is fine, if I use less heavy aircraft (like less computers on it) or less heavy scenarios the FPS get better but the cpu usage still around 30%.
It’s running on the Nvidia with prefer maximum performance, also the power plan like that.

I’ve been researching for already half a year without solution. Anything I tried and worked for everyone else, didn’t for me. So I’m guessing if the ram could be the issue since all the systems running other people simulator are dual channel.
Even a guy with the same laptop and specs said to have no issues like that and he’s got dual channel as well

Reactions: aQi

aQi

The simulator is fine, if I use less heavy aircraft (like less computers on it) or less heavy scenarios the FPS get better but the cpu usage still around 30%.
It’s running on the Nvidia with prefer maximum performance, also the power plan like that.

I’ve been researching for already half a year without solution. Anything I tried and worked for everyone else, didn’t for me. So I’m guessing if the ram could be the issue since all the systems running other people simulator are dual channel.
Even a guy with the same laptop and specs said to have no issues like that and he’s got dual channel as well

Same laptop with dual channel memory. Sounds legit. Go for it.
If it works it will be interesting for all of us.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Whats the question here? Dual channel man. Plug it in and see. Don't expect miracles. You're running. a flight sim on a laptop with a gtx 1060.

Matiasslutzky

Whats the question here? Dual channel man. Plug it in and see. Don't expect miracles. You're running. a flight sim on a laptop with a gtx 1060.
You mean it should make some difference? For some reason the cpu and gpu are not using more than 30 or 40%. Something is bottlenecking them.
If the gpu is at 30% and gives me 25fps means it should give much more while working around 90%. I don’t expect 80fps but at least a stable game or 40fps