• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asustor Lockerstor 2 Gen2 AS6702T 2-Bay NAS

Thank you for this review. You mentioned: "I have also tried 4K transcoding through Plex, which worked with lower bitrate files, but I experienced issues with higher bitrate transcoding operations where CPU utilization was high. A more potent processor is required for heavy 4K transcoding operations, but you should keep in mind that this will lead to increased energy consumption. This is a significant problem in NAS servers, which are destined to operate all around the clock. Hence, every manufacturer tries to balance CPU power and energy consumption"

Could you, please, put some numbers on this? How challenging 4K transcoding is on this device?

Basically, if you have a 4K file and want it to transcode heavily, e.g., downgrade to a high-bitrate HD, expect some issues. I have a video in the review showing 4k transcoding in various scenarios.

Maybe I missed it, but did you test the m.2 drives? I'd be curious to see the results. It looks like they are pumping 4 drives through a x4 slot. Are they using a switch chip or just giving each drive a single lane?

Do you still have to initialize any disks you add, forcing you to wipe the partitions off of them, if you want to use them with this NAS? The last version of ADM I tested (about half a year ago) still forced this, and it's the reason why I consider Asustor a horrible choice for a NAS. You can't just pop in your existing disks and share them instantly.

Hell, you have to reinitialize (and lose the partitions) even if the disks were previously used in the same NAS. So pressing the reset button on the back is enough to destroy everything you store on the device. That's pretty damn critical if you ask me.

The up side is that they use some basic linux system internally with mdadm for raid, so it's possible to restore the data even from under Windows.

Maybe I missed it, but did you test the m.2 drives? I'd be curious to see the results. It looks like they are pumping 4 drives through a x4 slot. Are they using a switch chip or just giving each drive a single lane?
I didn't test with M.2 because I couldn't devote any more time to it. But I should probably add a single test in this scenario (which means 2-3 full days of testing)

Do you still have to initialize any disks you add, forcing you to wipe the partitions off of them, if you want to use them with this NAS? The last version of ADM I tested (about half a year ago) still forced this, and it's the reason why I consider Asustor a horrible choice for a NAS. You can't just pop in your existing disks and share them instantly.

Hell, you have to reinitialize (and lose the partitions) even if the disks were previously used in the same NAS. So pressing the reset button on the back is enough to destroy everything you store on the device. That's pretty damn critical if you ask me.

The up side is that they use some basic linux system internally with mdadm for raid, so it's possible to restore the data even from under Windows.
As far as I remember, because I am doing a Syno NAS review now so my mind is mixed up, you have yes.