• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ati radeon powercolor 128 64bit-->video memory overflow

Isatanica

hi guys ,I searched around in goole and in here but couldn`t find any subject about my problem.
my specs:
amd 1.8
memory 512
xp pro sp2
40 hd
dvd player
cd rom player
newest drivers for my systeem like the videocard-motherboard -soundcard ,everything,it`s up to date and I used every single driver for my videocard from old version to the new and I used the official ati drivers and the drivers on ur website

I`ve got a big problem with my graphicscard(ati radeon powercolor 128mb)

when I try to play a game it shuts down and comes back to the desktop ,with some games there comes a message:
ERROR#8888
video memory overflow

what does it mean,please help me out on this I have my pc for 2 months and never had this problem before but yesterday I wanted play Mafia it shut down the game and give me that error message,but with other games it just shutdown for no reason without any error message, I`ve used the Ati Tool but didn`t overclock anything on purpose,I just turned on
by the way I`ve got the newest drivers,please anyone help me

P.s my apologies foir my bad english,I`m dutch

here is a link to the picture of the image

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgAAAK4R6BDK6!tdXtkSnq4mBJngDl!pPpJhV8ftuod!2TmA8yrwX557*4CHq48DN7NG7Pa0AvaNO6aFP1MPm0s4OQuhYEhZ/1.JPG?dc=4675493093322819798

btw ,when I try the dxdiag ,the black cube with a green X on it goes toooooo fast I cant even see the X.
I would appreciate it if someone could help me out,I`m very sad about this

N

nightelf84

Ati radeon powercolor ???? 128MB. Please specify generation/series. Also, this did not happen before with the same game?

Go to your BIOS and check your AGP aperture. Either change this to the amount of memory you have on your card, i.e. 128 or bring it down a notch to 64

Isatanica

no it didn`t happen to the games I played before,it is kinda weird,but what do u mean by which generation?
this is my videocard http://www.gistron.com/scripts/info.php?artnr=23798

please someone help me out :(

P.S dxdiag says that my RAMDAC is 500 and not 400 :confused:,nou the X on the direct x cube runs normaal ,I reinstalled the drivers on safe mode,but the error still comes back :mad: ,and like I said dxdiag say RAMDAC 500 and not 400 :mad:

edit: I tried AGP aperture 64 ,but nou the games just crash

Last edited:

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Try and uninstall service pack 2
WARNING THOUGH, all programs installed post-SP2 will be lost with uninstallation

Isatanica

hmmm,why do I have to uninstall sp2?I mean the games worked well before tere wasn`t any problem I had sp2 from the day I bought my pc

N

nightelf84

What was your default AGP aperture? If using 64 still doesn't solve the problem, try 128. Memory overflow means you've run out of texture memory on ur video card. Try also lowering game settings...

Isatanica

by default the aperture was 128 ,about the settings ,they are the same as they were before,I played like one month with the same settings :(

N

nightelf84

hmmmm....what else did u do during that one month? Did u update your video driver? Some updated drivers can cause certain games to crash... try using the first driver installed when you bought your pc. Also search google for any graphics card related problem for the game you're playing.

C&C Freak 2K

It is suggested that your set your AGP aperture to no more than half your system RAM, or no more than 256MB, whichever is smallest.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro