• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Silencer 4 vs. VGA Silencer Rev. 3

pablofrogo

lehnin said:
ATI Silencer 4 or VGA Silencer Rev. 3 wich cools better?
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out. I wish W1zzard would hurry up with the reviews... Not that I'm trying to push him into doing them or anything :rolleyes:

A

Apprentice

Prefer the old Rev 3. The new Artic Silencer 4 looks kindda small although I think its got a copper base.

serv

i just installed a Arctic Cooling Rev.4 ATI 1 VGA Silencer + Ramsinks on my 9800 PRO dunno about whats best but this cooler let me OC my card by quite a bit.. review below:

Arctic Cooling Rev.4

serv

oh better mention this, i had 2 cut part of the fan case so it wud fit over a certain ramsink that was stopping the heatsink from seating properly, apart from that alls good :p

Quazi

They are so close to the same, I think the difference will be minimal. Copper (ATI SIlencer) does conduct heat better than aluminum (VGA Silencer) so you need to take that into consideration. And, ATI Silencer provides a heat spreader of sorts for the ram sinks doesn't it. But it seems the heat spreader for the ram sinks just spread the heat around from one memory chip to the other. Kinda defeats the purpose I feel. But all in all, one shouldn't vary that much from the other. I will be interested to see fact based results of these two coolers.

some1

I have just fitted a ATI Silencer 3 to my Sapphire Radeon 9800XT, was very worthwhile, I am able to get an extra 10Mhz on the core, and 5mhz on the memory, and all at lower temps and noise. I think the ATI Silencer 4 is for the X800 series, perhaps you could use either, but I get the feeling the dimensions are different, to fit the X800 series