• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best thermal pastes in 2021 ?

The runny pastes get squeezed to such a thin layer over time that their performance is irrelevant because there's so little of it between the die/IHS and the cooler base plate.
The viscous stuff is often more conductive but gets squeezed out less, so its performance over time remains largely unchanged.

• Long-term paste performance should be negligible because eventually the mounting pressure squeezes nearly all of the paste out of the sides anyway.
Theoretically that should be a good thing. In the sense that less TIM but just enough to fill in the shape of the gaps exactly would be perfect. In other words the plates get closer and closer together, squeezing out excess, and any paste in the "valleys" between various local peaks and imperfections should remain and provide contact. I'm just not sure why in practice it doesn't work as well as it seems it should. My guess is that perhaps there's also some separation of oil that happens when this thinning gradually takes place, such that the filler material is not of the original paste consistency. What do you think? Perhaps it's because of some small movement / expansion / contraction that ends up in temporary air gaps instead of perfect contact?

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
No worries mate, was only giving you a bit of light-hearted teasing.. :toast:

It's hard to know with the written word; I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
It's hard to know with the written word; I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.
I’m terrible too. I read into things waay to much at times, and I am sensitiff/insensitiff too.. meow. But still a jerk sometimes, not sure why.. maybe my sore back lol. :rolleyes:

Memory 16GB DDR3
Perhaps it's because of some small movement / expansion / contraction that ends up in temporary air gaps instead of perfect contact?

I think you are right here, the end of the heatsink is hotter than the rest and so expands out, putting pressure on the center of the CPU; then when it cools it flattens back driving paste out.

I attach a diagram from the Semikron application note.

Attachments

• buckling.jpg
    buckling.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 64
  • SEMIKRON_Application-Note_Thermal_Paste_Application.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I’m terrible too. I read into things waay to much at times, and I am sensitiff/insensitiff too.. meow. But still a jerk sometimes, not sure why.. maybe my sore back lol. :rolleyes:
Yeah, that was my fault, I should have thrown a smile or laugh emoji on the back of that comment. It's kinda what they're there for. :banghead:

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I think you are right here, the end of the heatsink is hotter than the rest and so expands out, putting pressure on the center of the CPU; then when it cools it flattens back driving paste out.

Interesting; Thermal expansion and contraction acts as a very slow paste pump...
This could be why laptops need repasting more frequently than desktops - the temperature deltas between idle and load are much larger, increasing the stroke of this pumping action.

Desktop coolers typically use solid baseplates with a lot of material that are mechanically rigid and likely remain flatter under thermal cycling, and their load-idle delta is probably ~40C
Laptop coolers are definitely way more flexible and and with many laptops operating at 95C by design we're looking at maybe a 60C load-idle delta.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Thermalright Frost Commander 140
Memory 2x16 3200@3733 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT WindForce OC 6G (GV-R56XTWF2OC)
Storage Some
Display(s) Acer XV280K
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze
Mouse Logitech G502SE
Keyboard Ajazz AK35i with AKKO CS Rose Red Switches and white YMDK PBT keys

So if my CPU stays cool enough (die temp doesn't go past 55C under high CPU usage gaming loads) there isn't as much expansion / contraction going on, minimizing this effect? Honestly I've had past on CPUs that I haven't changed 5+ years and they're still running cool I always have AIDA64 running in the background to check.

Memory 16GB DDR3
If one is running below 55°C max, one almost doesn't care if one loses thermal paste or not.