• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bored with gaming/benchmarking with windows? try something different.

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
Bored ? give yourself a Linux gaming build

Having been a Microsoft windows User since windows 95 all the way to windows 10, with some playing around with Linux and steamOS in between, I feel Linux has come along really well.
I have been messing around with a few versions of Linux like OpenSuse, Ubuntu and Mint Cinnamon, I didn’t like Ubuntu as much as Mint so opted for that and steam.

OS install was easy, although Note : i had to disable secure boot in the motherboard BIOS and enable legacy support before i could install Linux Mint.

SecureBoot is not Supported as far as I am aware.

Graphics card drivers where easy to install, the O/S does everything for you.

Once the O/S was installed and updated (which was quick it didn’t take ages to update like windows can) I just used the driver manager program and selected the Nvidia driver for my 1050ti and mint done the rest.
Installed Steam using the software manager simple as that.

I'm not saying use your Main PC for a Linux gaming PC

although if you have a second PC or parts to build a second PC then it's a grate way to give yourself something different to play around with when those dull PC days are floating around.

Once you have your Linux box up and running just google gaming on Linux or benchmarking and have some fun exploring what’s out there these days

it can put some spice back into your PC mood if ya get bored with windows and feel like learning/messing around with the same things but in a different way, for me it kind of made the old things feel new all over again.

have fun :)

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Yes, I have been intrigued with Proton through Steam. I know some on here were giving it a try and never really heard back on what the results were.

Would give Skyrim SE a try in Linux under Proton. Please try it and let us know ;)

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
Proton through Steam

ahh i did hear something about a while ago thanks for the heads up

i will have a play around with it i have over 100 games on steam for windows 44 of those are for linux as well, i let ya know how i get on with the windows games.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Test Skyrim SE with the Nexus mod manager and let me know

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Subbed.

:),

Liquid Cool

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
probs going to have to update my drivers but im going to try it now just to see what breaks lol

screen.png

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
GLmark2 score of 7915 :) Zotac 1050ti OC

Screenshot from 2018-10-22 16-09-07.png

These might help you (installing Proton, which you will likely need):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...and-play-windows-games-on-linux/#518e30c53a2d
and
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

Seems 3.16 just came out.

COD MW2
has just installed i will test it with these unsupported drivers first just for the hell of it :) then look into updating drivers (GULP....)

Proton is installed and enabled by default in the latest version of steam for linux it's handy you don't need wine, it now getting my head around newer drivers :) i probs try that a bit later unless anyone else is up for the challenge :)

COD MW2 didn't work but i didn't really expect it to :)

funny thing is even without updating the Nvidia drivers The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim works :) but when you want to exit the game select back to menu not desktop or steam will hang and you have press the power button on the PC (if you have power button set to power off that is) and wait for the system to shut down, it doesn't do that if you select back to menu then exit the game.

Screenshot from 2018-10-22 16-43-48.png

well if ya up for something new to play around with, then I highly recommend having a play with Linux Mint or any other Distro that might take ya fanncy, who knows you might even surprise yourself and prefer a different O/S or even just the challenge of a different O/S environment with new ways of doing things with your PC.

forgot i found a program called CUDA-Z :)

Screenshot from 2018-10-22 18-53-44.png

Ok ....

So i decided to update the Nivida drivers :)

followed the forbes link that was kindly supplied although not the github link (i'll come to that in a bit)
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 21-00-34.png

These might help you (installing Proton, which you will likely need):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...and-play-windows-games-on-linux/#518e30c53a2d
and
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

Seems 3.16 just came out.

quick glbench to see if any gain ? and yup +14 :)
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 21-07-00.png

now i may need github not sure just yet because when steam loaded it came up with this :)
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 21-08-29.png

so i will report back once i got me head wrap'd around wtf happend and i have steam up and running again :) ... hope its just a reinstall of steam at the worst or heeh gonna need some help :)

by changing back to 390 drivers using the driver manager steam loads and runs fine again ?
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 21-55-01.png

maybe I need to change to steam play to 3-16.3 beta before udating to the 396 or even the 410?

all fixed :)

just used driver manager to install the 410 driver everything working as before :D well chuft

Screenshot from 2018-10-22 22-15-41.png

now to see what windows games will play with the steam play beta 3-16.3 and Nvidia 410 drivers

Bit off subject although just a note : something i noticed with CUDA-Z, someone said that all ddr5 on gfx cards is ECC?

I thought that ECC DDR5 was just for CAD cards.

CUDA-Z reports non ECC for my 1050ti which makes sense really.

noecc.png

fairly sure you dont need to use the github link, thats for building the software which i don't need to do, steam should update as needed , just select in compatibility tool for list i selected proton 3.16-3 Beta build

Screenshot from 2018-10-22 22-52-11.png

I am impressed It works lol :D

just tested State of Decay and it works :) albeit 34-40 fps but it's not even a supported game yet! so all in all top stuff :)

You have to take ya hat off to Valve and Linux ! top stuff chaps keep it up :D

Who would of believed it's now easy to get an Linux gaming PC up and running, well worth the little effort and a grate feeling of reward lol

Screenshot from 2018-10-22 23-22-55.png

Also notice the graphics clock in mode 2 can hit 2012Mhz ? gpu clock

i noticed gpu was hitting over 2ghz a while back wonder, if my Zotac 1050ti has had a Bios Rom MOD ? or is this normal ?

yeah i can confirm, the Github link is not needed, the latest beta will be in the steam settings (see pic i posted in this thread)

the only time i have needed github myself was way back when Maxcoin was being released i wanted to mine it from day 1 so used github to download and compile the software to mine Maxcoin, which turned out to be a flop BTW :)

That kind of wraps it up I guess

So what are ya waiting for ? get testing Linux ! it'll be interesting and kills some boredom at the very least :)

oh Just thought I would put up a link to some very useful programs you may enjoy like

Screenshot from 2018-10-23 04-01-08.png

downloaded from software manager

Screenshot from 2018-10-23 04-01-29.png

Link to programs you may find useful

https://www.linuxalt.com/

Sorry the post is a bit of a mess :) although hope you found something useful among it.

Last edited: