• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cannot ping other devices that are connected to the same ASUS router

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 4930K 4.4Ghz 12MB LGA2011
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 E-ATX/ Asus B150I Pro
Cooling OVERKILL CUSTOM WATER
Memory 2x Kingston HyperX Beast 32gb 2333mhz (64gb total) / Corsair Vengance 16gb
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 1080ti Poseidon / Evga 780 ti S
Storage 2tb Seagate, 120gb Crucial ssd x2 raid (OS) 3x500gb
Display(s) SAMSUNG LU28D590DS 4K 28" UHD 3840x2160 1ms x3 Resolution 11,520x2160
Case Lian Li DK-02 Desk (ATX & Mini-ATX)
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Astro 5.1 headphones and amplifier, THX Surround
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i / Corsair HX750i
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Keyboard Razor Death stalker ultimate, Razor Orbweaver
Software Windows 10
hmmmmmmmm if it worked for "about a month" meaning a little over I am curious if resetting the devices fixes it especially if the router can still chat with it, but the device cant chat back. That is not an IP issue if the device can be pinged.

There is an issue, with older SCADA software and devices, that I have ran into. It happens with some from what iv seen old IoT devices (maybe your devices are an unfortunate exception). If the uptime of the device is calculated as a 32bit intiger then there is a magic number of hours, usually over a month and a half where the uptime value will overflow and the device will become unresponsive.

If resetting the device (unplug plug in) with no change to the router fixes it, then its a device firmware problem.

As you said, the router can still communicate with it, so you have done nothing wrong.
So I can ping the two devices from my router and they do communicate back. Theyre 100% connected to the internet. It's just I'm locked out from other devices through the router to the controller.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
So I can ping the two devices from my router and they do communicate back. Theyre 100% connected to the internet. It's just I'm locked out from other devices through the router to the controller.
I didnt make my edit in time. Are you trying to access these devices by name? or by IP from your PC/cell when on the same network?

System Name The Beast
Memory 2x Kingston HyperX Beast 32gb 2333mhz (64gb total) / Corsair Vengance 16gb
Display(s) SAMSUNG LU28D590DS 4K 28" UHD 3840x2160 1ms x3 Resolution 11,520x2160
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Software Windows 10
I didnt make my edit in time. Are you trying to access these devices by name? or by IP from your PC/cell when on the same network?
By IP. See the below photos on this quoted comment for the connection pages of the apps and the matching ip addresses.

Yerp this is what I done the first time which worked for approximately a month.

The device is an aquarium controller. 99% of the time I don't have issues with the router connecting to it directly, but I cannot see it via any other device.

It has 3 methods to connect. USB, Direct local via IP (in app or Internet search bar) or cloud. I can ping it via the router, but not via any other device.

This is an issue because I need to be able to configure the unit and it's near on impossible via cloud. ( configure as in program the aquarium, basic changes ie settings and networking are ok)

As I check incase I've forgotten something here, thesw are the controller pages.

They align with the modem and they're connected to the Internet.

The first photo is of my router
The second photo is the android app ip settings
The third photo is the controller and it's connected ip address and the two connections
The fourth photo is the actual network settings.

Tia

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
By IP. See the below photos on this quoted comment for the connection pages of the apps and the matching ip addresses.

and that all looks correct. I think we are zeroing in on your problem. Do you have any device pages or information you can link me to the products you are using?

System Name The Beast
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Software Windows 10
and that all looks correct. I think we are zeroing in on your problem. Do you have any device pages or information you can link me to the products you are using?
Device 192.168.50.2
Main controller for operating the life support
GHl Profilux 4

Device 192.168.50.3
Lighting fixture that also controls the array of other lights
GHL Mitras 7206

They're German made. Some of the connection methods are a little odd. Cannot find much in terms of communication of the devices.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Device 192.168.50.2
Main controller for operating the life support
GHl Profilux 4

Device 192.168.50.3
Lighting fixture that also controls the array of other lights
GHL Mitras 7206

They're German made. Some of the connection methods are a little odd. Cannot find much in terms of communication of the devices.

Perfect.

I found this ancient thread, which has almost no bearing other than it aligns with what I already thought.

I am curious, if there is an issue with the internal web server of the devices. A reboot would fix this.

Second: I am curious if this is a port issue (maybe a misconfig?) of your router that is causing these problems. I am curious if a reboot would fix this.

At current my advice would be to either reboot the devices and not the router, or reboot the router and not the devices. It isnt impossible that the issue still may be with the other but it would give us a better idea of what to look at next.

However given that the router can ping these devices and the cloud portal works, this is not an IP problem. im surprised no one caught this before. This is a service issue.

Either:

- A port is blocked or being consumed by another service and confusing the router
- A service on the router is malfunctioning or misconfigured (likely the firewall)
- A service on the device is bugged or failing (TBH this is what I think is happening)

Ideally; next steps will be to restart the devices themselves. At a time when the fish would be happy with it and then testing. If it still didnt work I would attempt to restart the router.

If it works after the router like I mentioned it could still mean the devices have an issue, but I would THEN look at any port requirements the devices have and enable upnp (also affects devices locally) since static port forwards no offense would probably take my several posts to explain to you.

upnp is around page 71 of your routers manual

It is bad design, but some software has time outs its a status called "listen" and depending on the software will close the connection after an idle period. This is ULTRA annoying but we can cross that bridge once we know more. (maybe bitch at the manufacturer or put the devices on timed outlets to force a power down / restart)

I'm going to go back to BG3, but im sure the other resident Sr. network engineers /s can take you from here. I will leave the plan above in your hands as far as how you want to execute the tests.

Last edited:
System Name The Beast
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Software Windows 10
Perfect.

I found this ancient thread, which has almost no bearing other than it aligns with what I already thought.

I am curious, if there is an issue with the internal web server of the devices. A reboot would fix this.

Second: I am curious if this is a port issue (maybe a misconfig?) of your router that is causing these problems. I am curious if a reboot would fix this.

At current my advice would be to either reboot the devices and not the router, or reboot the router and not the devices. It isnt impossible that the issue still may be with the other but it would give us a better idea of what to look at next.

However given that the router can ping these devices and the cloud portal works, this is not an IP problem. im surprised no one caught this before. This is a service issue.

Either:

- A port is blocked or being consumed by another service and confusing the router
- A service on the router is malfunctioning or misconfigured (likely the firewall)
- A service on the device is bugged or failing (TBH this is what I think is happening)

Ideally; next steps will be to restart the devices themselves. At a time when the fish would be happy with it and then testing. If it still didnt work I would attempt to restart the router.

If it works after the router like I mentioned it could still mean the devices have an issue, but I would THEN look at any port requirements the devices have and enable upnp since static port forwards no offense would probably take my several posts to explain to you.

upnp is around page 71 of your routers manual

It is bad design, but some software has time outs its a status called "listen" and depending on the software will close the connection after an idle period. This is ULTRA annoying but we can cross that bridge once we know more.

I'm going to go back to BG3, but im sure the other resident Sr. network engineers /s can take you from here. I will leave the plan above in your hands as far as how you want to execute the tests.
Legend thankyou for your time. I'll post on here if I find a fix. These are the two options here. See photos. There was no luck on 10001. While the GHL tech remoted in he said that websocket is primarily for Android and tcp works best with IOS.

Not sure the differences but neither worked before we changed the ip address outside of the range available.

The router was reset about two weeks ago and it still didn't work. (Was reset for an update)

Possibly worth noting I didn't have the issue with the last router netgear nighthawk r8000... we just started having drop outs and it was running super hot so our ISP sold us this one at a pretty reasonable discount with interest free repayments

Thanks again. Enjoy the gate. I'm still a pesant playing d4. At least it wasn't as bad as when d3 came out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821_152614_GHL Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_152614_GHL Connect.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230821_152932_GHL Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_152932_GHL Connect.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 24

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Legend thankyou for your time. I'll post on here if I find a fix. These are the two options here. See photos. There was no luck on 10001. While the GHL tech remoted in he said that websocket is primarily for Android and tcp works best with IOS.

Not sure the differences but neither worked before we changed the ip address outside of the range available.

The router was reset about two weeks ago and it still didn't work. (Was reset for an update)

Possibly worth noting I didn't have the issue with the last router netgear nighthawk r8000... we just started having drop outs and it was running super hot so our ISP sold us this one at a pretty reasonable discount with interest free repayments

Thanks again. Enjoy the gate. I'm still a pesant playing d4. At least it wasn't as bad as when d3 came out!

The router reboot interests me since it didnt come back even after. See if you can reboot the devices for lil old me. Also tcp/websocket is a little deep websocket does use TCP but we wont get into that. I will sum it up with. I would be curious what would happen if you set it to TCP and changed the port to 80.

However given that you made a change like this already and it didnt work Im going to give you a hint: (this reads like a software issue as proven already) However if I WAS the one configuring this. and im not. I would set this to 80 on tcp.

Tag me when you figure it out. dont play with your network settings as you quoted before, those are perfect as shown by your connection still existing. After the device reboots if everything comes back all happy this is a service death (be it from timeout or crash) changing the port and TCP configuration like I mentioned above may fix it. But this is a FW level bug at that point and should be reported or it will happen in another month. You can setup times outlets to do these electrical powerdowns for you to reset the device during a time the fish dont care, but really the mfg should fix there shit.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Just clarifying. Since these guys don't appear to be network engineers (just journalists I guess) for anyone that finds this thread. This advice is literally terrible. Especially for your iphone, macbook, or VM guys since reservation relies on MAC address binding. So the nifty iOS security features or rotating mac addresses of VMs will break these reservations in AD or BIND (which is usually what is running under the hood controlling dhcp on consumer *nix based routers) and really ruin your day (likely why OP said his IP is broken again.
How is this terrible advice? It's the only way you should do it now.
Setting static IP addresses on devices is just plain dumb and always causes issues.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Just clarifying. Since these guys don't appear to be network engineers (just journalists I guess) for anyone that finds this thread.
Wow! I admit, I tend to sink when I try to walk on water. And I also admit, I have never managed a network consisting of "10's of thousands" of nodes - that is certainly impressive! But I have managed many networks over the years consisting of hundreds of nodes, and many MANY more networks for SOHO environments, most with 50 nodes or less.

And to be sure, a SOHO environment is what we are dealing with here - not a monster "enterprise" size network that uses enterprise class routers.

dhcp reservation can cause issues as it’s a roll of the dice as to how nice the dhcp server or device will play.
Bullfeathers! It's not a roll of the dice! :( Clearly Solaris is used to enterprise networks there typically are multiple network devices (multiple routers, multiple switches, etc.) and where IP assignments often come from a separate DHCP server or enterprise class router. That is NOT how it works on smaller SOHO environments where the DHCP server is running on the same home or small office router that manages the entire network.

This advice is literally terrible. Especially for your iphone, macbook, or VM guys since reservation relies on MAC address binding. So the nifty iOS security features or rotating mac addresses of VMs
Sorry Solaris, but that's more bullfeathers for the OP's scenario. "Rotating mac addresses"? Come on! :rolleyes: :kookoo: You are talking BIG networks while the OP appears to have a small home network. Not once did he say anything about macbooks. Nor did he say he uses VMs - which again is typically within the realm of enterprise environment, or "some" advanced users. There is NOTHING to suggest any rotation of MAC addresses is going on here.

"Can cause issues?" Anything can cause issues, including static IP assignments, or conventional DHCP assignments.

Reservations work great in home and small office environments with networks of a single SOHO class router, PCs, laptops, printers, NAS, tablets and yes, even smart phones.

weird since what is being described is not DHCP reservation
Sure it is. This is you thinking, once again, that SOHO networks are managed the same way as enterprise networks. NO! Today's SOHO routers allow both DHCP Reservation and traditional DHCP assignments. That's what was being described there. It is also how I set up my own network and the many SOHO networks we are responsible for here.

For example, I would not set up a reserved IP for the computers or tablets. But for printers, NAS devices, security cameras, or the OP's aquarium controller, reserved IP addresses is a great solution.

This works because the odds two devices would have the same MAC address (which, in theory should never happen while in reality, it occasionally does) are very low, at worst.

Setting static IP addresses on devices is just plain dumb and always causes issues.
I agree, it is not terrible advice. A mix of traditional DHCP IP assignments and DHCP reservations for SOHO networks a great solution. But there are times when static IP addresses may be a better solution too.

And no, they don't "always" cause problems - just as DHCP reservations, don't always cause problems either.

@Solaris17 - did you read the link I provided in Post #8 above (last line) in post?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11

Wow! I admit, I tend to sink when I try to walk on water. And I also admit, I have never managed a network consisting of "10's of thousands" of nodes - that is certainly impressive! But I have managed many networks over the years consisting of hundreds of nodes, and many MANY more networks for SOHO environments, most with 50 nodes or less.

And to be sure, a SOHO environment is what we are dealing with here - not a monster "enterprise" size network that uses enterprise class routers.

Bullfeathers! It's not a roll of the dice! :( Clearly Solaris is used to enterprise networks there typically are multiple network devices (multiple routers, multiple switches, etc.) and where IP assignments often come from a separate DHCP server or enterprise class router. That is NOT how it works on smaller SOHO environments where the DHCP server is running on the same home or small office router that manages the entire network.

Sorry Solaris, but that's more bullfeathers for the OP's scenario. "Rotating mac addresses"? Come on! :rolleyes: :kookoo: You are talking BIG networks while the OP appears to have a small home network. Not once did he say anything about macbooks. Nor did he say he uses VMs - which again is typically within the realm of enterprise environment, or "some" advanced users. There is NOTHING to suggest any rotation of MAC addresses is going on here.

"Can cause issues?" Anything can cause issues, including static IP assignments, or conventional DHCP assignments.

Reservations work great in home and small office environments with networks of a single SOHO class router, PCs, laptops, printers, NAS, tablets and yes, even smart phones.

Sure it is. This is you thinking, once again, that SOHO networks are managed the same way as enterprise networks. NO! Today's SOHO routers allow both DHCP Reservation and traditional DHCP assignments. That's what was being described there. It is also how I set up my own network and the many SOHO networks we are responsible for here.

For example, I would not set up a reserved IP for the computers or tablets. But for printers, NAS devices, security cameras, or the OP's aquarium controller, reserved IP addresses is a great solution.

This works because the odds two devices would have the same MAC address (which, in theory should never happen while in reality, it occasionally does) are very low, at worst.

I agree, it is not terrible advice. A mix of traditional DHCP IP assignments and DHCP reservations for SOHO networks a great solution. But there are times when static IP addresses may be a better solution too.

And no, they don't "always" cause problems - just as DHCP reservations, don't always cause problems either.

@Solaris17 - did you read the link I provided in Post #8 above (last line) in post?

It’s alright you don’t need to understand it but this thread isn’t a proxy piss contest against me. I don’t care about your preferences or dissertations and frankly didn’t read it.

Help the guy with his fish or PM me so I can ignore it.

When either of you can sit down with me and talk networking all the way back to the port buffers let me know. Neither of you could even see his devices were still communicating. so not yet I guess.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
but this thread isn’t a proxy piss contest against me.
Ummm, against you? You are the one that from the beginning, has made these derogatory comments

dont let anyone trick you into doing DHCP "Reservation" thats lazy

Since these guys don't appear to be network engineers (just journalists I guess)

yes while I didn’t read the tangent bill went on about

I don’t care about your preferences or dissertations and frankly didn’t read it.
and
or PM me so I can ignore it.
Thank you for illustrating my point.

Contrary to what you clearly believe, Solaris, your way is not the only way.

Help the guy with his fish
We are trying but clearly, you won't allow it - unless that help is done your way. :(

So to that, I will step out and you win. Have a good day.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
It’s alright you don’t need to understand it but this thread isn’t a proxy piss contest against me. I don’t care about your preferences or dissertations and frankly didn’t read it.

Help the guy with his fish or PM me so I can ignore it.

When either of you can sit down with me and talk networking all the way back to the port buffers let me know. Neither of you could even see his devices were still communicating. so not yet I guess.
Sorry what? I simply asked a question and you claim I'm attacking you? No sir, did no such thing.

System Name The Beast
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Software Windows 10
images (15).jpeg

I appreciate all help. Best to keep an open mind when in my case dealing with the unknown. Knowledge is half the battle and I have very little in this case.

Power cycle last night didn't seem to work.

System Name The Beast
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Software Windows 10
So I have delt with both GHL and ASUS technical support and they're both accusing each others equipment of being defective. Asus technical support is like dealing with a brick wall. So are there any last ditched efforts of things to try? Power cycling hasn't helped, I try to connect daily via the IP address and recently on occasion it does work, maybe once every 20 times. I usually get a bit of a shock! Maybe I've set up the DHCP incorrectly as I didn't really understand what I was doing. All my IP addresses have a DHCP beside them, the two address outside of the selected range being these two GHL units have Manual beside the names.

To date-
Firewalls have been completely turned off and back on. (tried with them off and on)
Ap isolation turned off (was on at the start of the issues, have tried being turned on again also)
Have tried firmware resets on both units
Have reset units together, and router on its own and ghl devices on their own (tried after each different reset configuration)
Have tried setting a static ip on the two devices (now they're just set to automatic (letting the router select ip)
Have tried different ip addresses. (this sometimes works for a small amount of time)

To summarize--
I still cannot ping the 2 devices on the same network through any other similarly connected devices (pc/mobile) but I can ping from the router. The two devices in question are connected to the internet (cloud based access works 99% of the time it just so slow I'm limited to read only even on a good day) and have full access to see its communicating with the same IP address selected from the router (by me)

TIA for any input

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
So I have delt with both GHL and ASUS technical support and they're both accusing each others equipment of being defective. Asus technical support is like dealing with a brick wall. So are there any last ditched efforts of things to try? Power cycling hasn't helped, I try to connect daily via the IP address and recently on occasion it does work, maybe once every 20 times. I usually get a bit of a shock! Maybe I've set up the DHCP incorrectly as I didn't really understand what I was doing. All my IP addresses have a DHCP beside them, the two address outside of the selected range being these two GHL units have Manual beside the names.

To date-
Firewalls have been completely turned off and back on. (tried with them off and on)
Ap isolation turned off (was on at the start of the issues, have tried being turned on again also)
Have tried firmware resets on both units
Have reset units together, and router on its own and ghl devices on their own (tried after each different reset configuration)
Have tried setting a static ip on the two devices (now they're just set to automatic (letting the router select ip)
Have tried different ip addresses. (this sometimes works for a small amount of time)

To summarize--
I still cannot ping the 2 devices on the same network through any other similarly connected devices (pc/mobile) but I can ping from the router. The two devices in question are connected to the internet (cloud based access works 99% of the time it just so slow I'm limited to read only even on a good day) and have full access to see its communicating with the same IP address selected from the router (by me)

TIA for any input
Since before you said you had a netgear nighthawk r8000 and didn't have this problem I thought I'd mention this below.

To my recollection a few months ago Asus pushed out a bad update to the integrated Trend Micro security suite (regardless if you enabled it or not) that caused many Asus routers to fail including dropping wireless connections and all sorts of problems. I had quite a few Asus routers with TM and I had to reflash all of them in order to fix the problem with the bad update. Asus/TM has since fixed the bad update so it shouldn't happen again (crossing-fingers).

I don't know if it has anything to do with your problems but as a last ditch effort you might try reflashing your router (not just resetting it) with the latest firmware and go though the setup process with a clean slate. ( Make sure to write down your important settings first! )

Some other thoughts:
  • After reflashing your router do not turn on the "fancy" features (guest network, ai protection, adaptive qos, traffic analyzer, game boost, usb application, or ai cloud) until you get your network basics working again and your 2 fishtank devices communicating again.
  • You might try changing the USB option to USB2 instead of USB3. I read somewhere USB3 ports on routers may cause some issues with WiFi signals. Maybe it was a router specific problem with USB I don't recall at the moment.
  • You definitely want your WAN side firewall on if that's the router that connects you to the internet.
  • You might try putting your router on a daily reboot schedule this will also force your wireless devices to reconnect if there is some sort of problem with the wireless client connected for a really long duration of time.
  • With AP isolation turned off you should be able to communicate between WiFi and LAN devices. (this may or may not apply to guest network feature)
  • I don't care to get in the battle between Static and DHCP Reservation but will simply say I do both and simply do whatever works best for you. Personally I like to use static addresses for servers and more permanent fixtures and DHCP Reservation for other devices like my ancient HP printer whos stoneage web interface doesn't play well for me to set the static ip anymore. If reservation has an issue I simply fallback to static and call it a day because static always works. (hopefully I didn't just shoot myself in the foot with that statement)
Anyway I hope this is helpful.

System Name The Beast
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Software Windows 10
Since before you said you had a netgear nighthawk r8000 and didn't have this problem I thought I'd mention this below.

To my recollection a few months ago Asus pushed out a bad update to the integrated Trend Micro security suite (regardless if you enabled it or not) that caused many Asus routers to fail including dropping wireless connections and all sorts of problems. I had quite a few Asus routers with TM and I had to reflash all of them in order to fix the problem with the bad update. Asus/TM has since fixed the bad update so it shouldn't happen again (crossing-fingers).

I don't know if it has anything to do with your problems but as a last ditch effort you might try reflashing your router (not just resetting it) with the latest firmware and go though the setup process with a clean slate. ( Make sure to write down your important settings first! )

Some other thoughts:
  • After reflashing your router do not turn on the "fancy" features (guest network, ai protection, adaptive qos, traffic analyzer, game boost, usb application, or ai cloud) until you get your network basics working again and your 2 fishtank devices communicating again.
  • You might try changing the USB option to USB2 instead of USB3. I read somewhere USB3 ports on routers may cause some issues with WiFi signals. Maybe it was a router specific problem with USB I don't recall at the moment.
  • You definitely want your WAN side firewall on if that's the router that connects you to the internet.
  • You might try putting your router on a daily reboot schedule this will also force your wireless devices to reconnect if there is some sort of problem with the wireless client connected for a really long duration of time.
  • With AP isolation turned off you should be able to communicate between WiFi and LAN devices. (this may or may not apply to guest network feature)
  • I don't care to get in the battle between Static and DHCP Reservation but will simply say I do both and simply do whatever works best for you. Personally I like to use static addresses for servers and more permanent fixtures and DHCP Reservation for other devices like my ancient HP printer whos stoneage web interface doesn't play well for me to set the static ip anymore. If reservation has an issue I simply fallback to static and call it a day because static always works. (hopefully I didn't just shoot myself in the foot with that statement)
Anyway I hope this is helpful.
I did have issues for about 5 days during that time while they were trying to bury it under the rug. I guessed it fixed itself but maybe you're right? I shall give that a shot tonight. Really really appreciate the help.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Mouse Logitech M575
I did have issues for about 5 days during that time while they were trying to bury it under the rug. I guessed it fixed itself but maybe you're right? I shall give that a shot tonight. Really really appreciate the help.
Yea I don't think it fixed itself. I had to reflash all my asus routers which was a real pita because I had to get in and do it before they crashed.

System Name The Beast
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Software Windows 10
Yea I don't think it fixed itself. I had to reflash all my asus routers which was a real pita because I had to get in and do it before they crashed.
Is there a method you follow to do this?

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Is there a method you follow to do this?
I lookup the correct firmware from Asus website based on the model of the router, download, and unzip it. Then from the routers admin section upload the new firmware from there using the upload button. Asus also has a check/update button you could use instead to download the firmware directly to the router but if you think the router is buggered better just download it manually and upload it instead. Also make sure you don't lose power while the router is reflashing so if you have a UPS that is helpful to prevent a bad flash.

System Name The Beast
Mouse Razer Ouroboros
Software Windows 10
Definitely have the latest via an automatic update but will try the manual method when I get home tonight cheers

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Definitely have the latest via an automatic update but will try the manual method when I get home tonight cheers
Good luck.