• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Could Afterburner AutoOC damage my card?

nicob

Hello!

First of all, sorry for the dumb question.
I have a Palit GTX 1060, unfortunately it has a really small heatsink but I'm completely satisfied with its performance. I never really wanted that extra overclock in every day usage, I was just curious and wanted to see how much Afterburner can get out of the card.
I used the Auto-Overclock Scan-Test feature in Afterburner. I put the power limit to the maximum (116%) but I wanted to keep it safe so I did not allow additional voltage control and I kept the maximum throttle point at default (82C).
During the test, the card peaked at 81C for a very little time once but for the most part it was 79-80C. But I've noticed that in the GPU-Z tab, the tab showed a maximum TDP at a peak of 121% (so +5% compared to the power limit allowed by the original BIOS) which was around 145W.
My question is, how could this happen? I thought power-limit were hard-set in BIOS. My other question is, could this do any damage to my card? I set everything back to default, and my card is working properly, but since then I've noticed that even at 80% TDP, in less hardware extensive games, my card constantly hits voltage limit during games. (almost constantly). The boost clock (at least the peak) seem to be around the same. Should I be worried about this?

Thank you

System Name Temp SFF Rig :'(
Processor Q9550
Motherboard HP OEM
Cooling just about...
Memory 8GB DDR2 :rockout:
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GT 1030 LP OC to 1850+ Boost!!!
Storage 120GB SSD & 160GB HDD :(
Display(s) Acer ED242QR - 24" Curved 1080p 75Hz Freesync
Case HP SFF Desktop
Power Supply HP SFF 260w
Software Windows 10 1903
it will hit it's max voltage limit as set by the bios when you're playing games, nothing wrong with that. It could also well be that GPU-Z isn't getting the TDP power draw from an actual sensor in the GPU, more trying to guesstimate what the power draw is based on the cards voltage, clocks and usage hence the slightly higher TDP power draw that GPU-Z is reporting when it should be hard locked in the bios. If it still plays games fine on stock settings and doesn't overheat, throttle or lower boost clocks then you should have nothing to worry about, also there's very little chance that you have damaged the GPU simply by raising the clocks slightly and the power limit as that is hard coded into the bios to stop permanent damage from overclocking.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Should be not worried, except you find something unusual like higher temp than usuall or glitch

nicob

Thank you for the responses!
As for the temperatures, sadly they were always quiet high. In extensive games it stays around 78-79C and the fan can go up until 70% even with the default profile.
Honestly its rare to see that a 3rd party card has a worse cooler than the reference/founders edition but I should not complain, it works and never actually reaches that 82C spot.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
If you repaste the card with some good thermal paste, temperatures could drop another 5-8c if not even more dependant on how good the airflow is inside your case.

Even if it's something like MX-4 it will still be a lot better than their stock thermal paste.

nicob

Thank you for your suggestion but I did that twice already and although the original paste seemed very dry, overall it did not help with the temperatures.
Unfortunately there is nothing to do, the heatsink is extremely small, it does not even go all the way to cover the VRM and the pipes are not in direct contact with the GPU either. On this video you can see how small it is compared to the JetStream.

The weird thing is, there seem to be more revisions under the same name. Some Dual heatsinks are longer and cover the entire card. On mine, they did not even put thermal pads on the memory. Guessing fron the BIOS version, this seems to be a later revision. maybe the bicoin prices forced them to use even cheaper components. Either way, its funny to see people with their sub 65C 1060 everywhere on the internet. But it is working so I should not complain

Processor ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard AB350m Pro4
Cooling custom loop
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force TXKD416G3600HC18ADC01 16gbs XMP
Video Card(s) HP GTX1650 super 4gb
Storage MZVLB256HBHQ-000H1 PM981a (256GB)/3TB HDD
Display(s) Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx
Case Rosewill CULLINAN
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Mouse Best Buy Insignia
Keyboard Best Buy Insignia
Software Win 10 pro
i had a pny1060 6gb. its the same card as the palit duel but it had the heatsink that covered the entire card, phases, and pads on the memory. also had heatpipes that made contact with the die. ran pretty darn cool. i shunt modded it and ran it like that until the mining craze. sold it for $500 second hand on ebay at the peak of it all. bought it at best buy for 269(or was it 249?) either way i was pretty happy with that card. i did notice that pny, palit started making them cheaper as soon as the minig craze came around. the version you have has better flow over the power phases to prevent burnouts caused by minning as most minning software put extreme loads on the power phases that would not be present during any other type of workloads.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Thank you for your suggestion but I did that twice already and although the original paste seemed very dry, overall it did not help with the temperatures.
Unfortunately there is nothing to do, the heatsink is extremely small, it does not even go all the way to cover the VRM and the pipes are not in direct contact with the GPU either. On this video you can see how small it is compared to the JetStream.

The weird thing is, there seem to be more revisions under the same name. Some Dual heatsinks are longer and cover the entire card. On mine, they did not even put thermal pads on the memory. Guessing fron the BIOS version, this seems to be a later revision. maybe the bicoin prices forced them to use even cheaper components. Either way, its funny to see people with their sub 65C 1060 everywhere on the internet. But it is working so I should not complain

At the same time there are different tiers. Cheap as shit cards and more expensive cards from the same range. Like the gaming OC range from gigabyte or the Gaming Armor range from MSI - Those represent the cheapest in a graphics card line up before you get to the better equipped gaming X, Z and Aorus cards etc. So it it depends on where you entered the market at.

Thats not to say those cards are bad though. I have a gaming OC card and I switched the cooler for a more heavy duty one and now it never runs above 53c and boosts to the same speed as every other 1080ti. Sometimes it's worth spending that extra money for an overall better card as far as the cooler is concerned