• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dunu x Precogvision Mirai In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Mirai is a set of IEMs borne out of a collaboration between established IEM brand DUNU and one of the most demanding IEM reviewers Precogvision. It goes for a colored tonality favoring several music genres quite well and showcases technical prowess on par with far more expensive IEMs to make for a compelling product for many.

Show full review

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Wow, I love the aesthetics and it genuinely sounds like an amazing IEM... sadly at around 10x my max budget :oops:

carlcamper

Great review! Listening on my pair, I agree on your conclusion that, while it isn't an all rounder, it is a real standout when it shines!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Great review! Listening on my pair, I agree on your conclusion that, while it isn't an all rounder, it is a real standout when it shines!
Oh nice to know you have one of these sets too. What prompted you to buy it?

Welcome to TPU btw!

carlcamper

Oh nice to know you have one of these sets too. What prompted you to buy it?
I’m a fan of Precog, so I wanted to get a sense of what he considers his preference. Plus, my other kilobuck IEM, the Sony IER-M9, was nice and warm, but I wanted a more neutral set. Speaking of which, have you considered a collab as well? I’d be very interested in what you can come up with!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I’m a fan of Precog, so I wanted to get a sense of what he considers his preference. Plus, my other kilobuck IEM, the Sony IER-M9, was nice and warm, but I wanted a more neutral set. Speaking of which, have you considered a collab as well? I’d be very interested in what you can come up with!
I have had a few companies approach me but have always said no. I don't see the point in just a simple retuning and I don't have the time for a more involved collaboration at the moment unfortunately, even assuming brands I respect will see potential in a higher risk, more effort route.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I have had a few companies approach me but have always said no. I don't see the point in just a simple retuning and I don't have the time for a more involved collaboration at the moment unfortunately, even assuming brands I respect will see potential in a higher risk, more effort route.
Out of curiosity, why do you think there are so many collaborations in the IEM space, but no real action (to my knowledge) in trying the same in the full-size market?

Take Moondrop with their Joker - it’s widely considered that the hardware itself is actually solid (as EQing them shows), especially for the price, and it’s the default tuning that’s failing them. You would think that collaborating with some big name headphones influencer and re-releasing them as a pseudo-special edition would make sense, and yet… nothing. Are full-size cans just more difficult to work with? More expensive? Less interest? Would love to hear your take on this.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Out of curiosity, why do you think there are so many collaborations in the IEM space, but no real action (to my knowledge) in trying the same in the full-size market?

Take Moondrop with their Joker - it’s widely considered that the hardware itself is actually solid (as EQing them shows), especially for the price, and it’s the default tuning that’s failing them. You would think that collaborating with some big name headphones influencer and re-releasing them as a pseudo-special edition would make sense, and yet… nothing. Are full-size cans just more difficult to work with? More expensive? Less interest? Would love to hear your take on this.
There are a couple of headphone collaborations in the works that I am aware of. The biggest bottleneck here is headphones are mostly a "solved" thing compared to IEMs and there's a bigger risk/reward ratio for trying something new. Established brands also wouldn't gain much from the marketing aspect of collabs which IEMs can heavily benefit from.

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
There are a couple of headphone collaborations in the works that I am aware of.
Oh, that’s actually cool to know. Anything you can name in interest of research or is everything so far under NDAs?

The biggest bottleneck here is headphones are mostly a "solved" thing compared to IEMs and there's a bigger risk/reward ratio for trying something new. Established brands also wouldn't gain much from the marketing aspect of collabs which IEMs can heavily benefit from.
That was about what I expected. Although, however “solved” headphones are, it still doesn’t really change the fact that often the choices are actually somewhat slim. It’s funny to me that the HD600, for example, is 30 years already and whenever one asks “I would like a 600-like neutral tuning, just with an actual soundstage” the answer is either “uhhh well here is what you want BUT” and that BUT is usually significant or we start going into above kilobyck range.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Oh, that’s actually cool to know. Anything you can name in interest of research or is everything so far under NDAs?

That was about what I expected. Although, however “solved” headphones are, it still doesn’t really change the fact that often the choices are actually somewhat slim. It’s funny to me that the HD600, for example, is 30 years already and whenever one asks “I would like a 600-like neutral tuning, just with an actual soundstage” the answer is either “uhhh well here is what you want BUT” and that BUT is usually significant or we start going into above kilobyck range.
Can't reveal anything tbh, especially since there's nothing confirmed until something is announced. Anyway let's keep the discussion here to the item being reviewed.

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Yeah, as far as the Mirai is concerned, I am sure it’s a great IEM. I am just thinking that, considering how important fit and seal with IEMs are, when you start going above a 1000 in price you really, REALLY should be considering going custom at that point. Even here, as you point out, I have medium-ish sized ears, but a fairly small and narrow inner ear and ear canals. To aggravate the issue, they are also different sizes. With a, say, 300 bucks (or below, natch) set I would absolutely be down to experiment with tips and jump through the usual hoops. At a 1000? Yeah, I’d expect an “insert and forget” experience. Obviously this is all very subjective and personal. Some people I know can use whatever and they are fine. Some are even more sensitive to fit than me. *shrug*

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Yeah, as far as the Mirai is concerned, I am sure it’s a great IEM. I am just thinking that, considering how important fit and seal with IEMs are, when you start going above a 1000 in price you really, REALLY should be considering going custom at that point. Even here, as you point out, I have medium-ish sized ears, but a fairly small and narrow inner ear and ear canals. To aggravate the issue, they are also different sizes. With a, say, 300 bucks (or below, natch) set I would absolutely be down to experiment with tips and jump through the usual hoops. At a 1000? Yeah, I’d expect an “insert and forget” experience. Obviously this is all very subjective and personal. Some people I know can use whatever and they are fine. Some are even more sensitive to fit than me. *shrug*
There are so many IEMs which only come in universal fit though but point taken.

Collabs for full size cans do exist and Drop is big on them.

The larger issue is that most of the collaborations is based around ChiFi and so far ChiFi is mostly about IEMs.

I'm not sure the collaborations help either. The market is already satured as it is.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
"Technical chops on par with more expensive IEMs"

These aren't considered expensive?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
"Technical chops on par with more expensive IEMs"

These aren't considered expensive?
More is a word too. There are IEMs costing $8500 these days. So it really depends on the person who is in the market for IEMs and what they think is expensive. For most people the Mirai costs more than they could reasonably afford, many others buy $1000+ sets all the time.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Would the long development time have something to do with test items being shipped backwards and forwards between manufacturer and reviewer? I recall Crinacle admitting that he hadn't auditioned the infamous KZ ZEX Pro collaboration, merely sent target FR graphs to KZ and then discussed KZ's attempts at compliance.

I don't see a manufacturer paying a reviewer, no matter how influential, to fly over to China to check every small tweak to the product under development. Shipping beta products back and forth seems a good compromise, but it must take forever, and security must be a concern.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Would the long development time have something to do with test items being shipped backwards and forwards between manufacturer and reviewer? I recall Crinacle admitting that he hadn't auditioned the infamous KZ ZEX Pro collaboration, merely sent target FR graphs to KZ and then discussed KZ's attempts at compliance.

I don't see a manufacturer paying a reviewer, no matter how influential, to fly over to China to check every small tweak to the product under development. Shipping beta products back and forth seems a good compromise, but it must take forever, and security must be a concern.
Yeah if you look at this article: https://headphones.com/blogs/features/the-dunu-mirai-a-glimpse-into-the-future, you will see how there have been several prototypes going back and forth about halfway through that page.