• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fairly curved 2tb Western Digital M.2 2280 in the Asus Rampage 6 Extreme Encore motherboard add-in card.

Hi, I have the Asus Rampage 6 Extreme Encore motherboard with the extra add in dimm card for adding 2 additional m.2 2280 ssds. When I installed two western digital 2tb m.2 2280 drives on the card, one on each side and when I screwed the heat sink covers onto the card, the pressure of the thermal pad pushing on the ssds put quite the curve into the drives. Is this normal or will it cause the drives or the solder joints to fracture. Any one that has also experienced this issue, please let me know and if it should be like this.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Its not supposed to put that kind of pressure on your drives. They shouldn't be bowed at all.

Well these drives are quite bowed and I dont see why they would be since the heat transfer pads on the outside heatsink comes up and pushes against the drives. I dont see how to mount the drives so that the heat sinks dont put any pressure of the drives.

System Name DadsBadAss
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Well these drives are quite bowed and I dont see why they would be since the heat transfer pads on the outside heatsink comes up and pushes against the drives. I dont see how to mount the drives so that the heat sinks dont put any pressure of the drives.
You'll have to post a picture. Im not sure what may be causing this to happen other than the thermal pads being the wrong thickness or something is wrong with the mount itself.

Edit- definitely don't leave them like that for very long or you may end up with damaged drives.

Are they bent like the sockel 775 motherboards were by Intel smart_coolers? Indeed, post a picture. Should not be bent at all.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I think it's quite a common thing with many m.2 drives just we don't tend to look so closely. The internet is littered with photos of motherboard heatsinks bending drives. Just yours is more obvious on a add-in card.

System Name DadsBadAss
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win11pro
I've never had an nvme bend closing a mb heatsink so i have no point of reference (hence the pic request). So my curiosity is piqued. My assumption is the wrong stand off is mounted or wrong screw to tighten the drive down, or drive has its own thermal pad but im just guessing without seeing it.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Me neither, my sinks bolt down nice and straight. They even have a thermal pad and its all pretty slick. My heatsinks only go on one way.. well maybe two ways but if you opt for the second then I can see something getting bent. Probably my wallet.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Hi, I have the Asus Rampage 6 Extreme Encore motherboard with the extra add in dimm card for adding 2 additional m.2 2280 ssds. When I installed two western digital 2tb m.2 2280 drives on the card, one on each side and when I screwed the heat sink covers onto the card, the pressure of the thermal pad pushing on the ssds put quite the curve into the drives. Is this normal or will it cause the drives or the solder joints to fracture. Any one that has also experienced this issue, please let me know and if it should be like this.

A lot of ROG boards seem to have this issue with the way the heatsink for DIMM.2 and SO-DIMM.2 daughterboards are designed.

You have single-sided and double-sided M.2s with different layouts and controllers with differing Z-heights, so incompatibilities are inevitable. It happens more often than you think even on motherboard M.2 slots - motherboard M.2 heatsinks are so big that it's hard to see the drive underneath at all, let alone whether it's bowed. Longevity-wise it's probably not the greatest idea but I suspect there's tons of slightly bent drives out there doing just fine.

Many boards include a set of black, square small rubber pads in the box. Usually they intend for you to install them on the PCB underneath the drive to buttress the drive and prevent it from bowing, if the situation calls for it. There's so much stuff with the R6E I can't tell if they include that for you, but it seems like DIMM.2 and SO-DIMM.2 boards usually provide it. The pad may make it worse or better, it's up to you to try.

Asus crosshair viii impact rubber pads? : sffpc (reddit.com)

Otherwise, the only other way is to back off on the screws a little. Works like a charm on one of my boards with a poorly designed heatsink (ASRock B550M-ITX/ac), where screwing it down all the way bends the drive like a banana.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Yes pcb tension will eventually cause failure

Hi, I have put a thinner thermal pad on the heatsink as well as putting a fairly stiff rubber block between the ssd and the rear of the dimm board. There is still a fairly small amount of curve but considerably better then it was originally. This is a very stupid design and although I have never had any issues in using Asus Rampage series motherboards going back the the very beginning when they first came out with the Rampage Extreme X48 series and I have built several systems always using Asus motherboards but this dimm design is not typical Asus quality. I will post some photos of exactly what I am talking about when my other 2TB western digital blue drive comes in.

A lot of ROG boards seem to have this issue with the way the heatsink for DIMM.2 and SO-DIMM.2 daughterboards are designed.

You have single-sided and double-sided M.2s with different layouts and controllers with differing Z-heights, so incompatibilities are inevitable. It happens more often than you think even on motherboard M.2 slots - motherboard M.2 heatsinks are so big that it's hard to see the drive underneath at all, let alone whether it's bowed. Longevity-wise it's probably not the greatest idea but I suspect there's tons of slightly bent drives out there doing just fine.

Many boards include a set of black, square small rubber pads in the box. Usually they intend for you to install them on the PCB underneath the drive to buttress the drive and prevent it from bowing, if the situation calls for it. There's so much stuff with the R6E I can't tell if they include that for you, but it seems like DIMM.2 and SO-DIMM.2 boards usually provide it. The pad may make it worse or better, it's up to you to try.

Asus crosshair viii impact rubber pads? : sffpc (reddit.com)

Otherwise, the only other way is to back off on the screws a little. Works like a charm on one of my boards with a poorly designed heatsink (ASRock B550M-ITX/ac), where screwing it down all the way bends the drive like a banana.
Hi, Yes I did find those small rubber blocks in all the large array of parts that come with this board and you are correct, they do give a lot of extras. Using those rubber blocks does eliminate the majority of the bend but there is still a slight bend but I suppose that will have to do. Thank you for your suggestion.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Hi, I have put a thinner thermal pad on the heatsink as well as putting a fairly stiff rubber block between the ssd and the rear of the dimm board. There is still a fairly small amount of curve but considerably better then it was originally. This is a very stupid design and although I have never had any issues in using Asus Rampage series motherboards going back the the very beginning when they first came out with the Rampage Extreme X48 series and I have built several systems always using Asus motherboards but this dimm design is not typical Asus quality. I will post some photos of exactly what I am talking about when my other 2TB western digital blue drive comes in.

Hi, Yes I did find those small rubber blocks in all the large array of parts that come with this board and you are correct, they do give a lot of extras. Using those rubber blocks does eliminate the majority of the bend but there is still a slight bend but I suppose that will have to do. Thank you for your suggestion.

Glad to hear it worked out. I have a Crosshair 8 Impact with the SO-DIMM.2 module and it's much the same problem. I used the rubber pad for my single sided SN750, a square of a thinner double sided 3M heavy duty tape with the backing still on for my double sided SX8200, and moderated the screw tension on the one screw on each side that seemed to dictate most of the bend on the drives. Not perfectly straight but not nearly enough bend to make me uncomfortable.

A slight bend I wouldn't worry about. I'd wager more than 90% of all M.2s installed are probably slightly bowed. imo MSI has the best understanding of M.2 heatsink fitment (they include a dual stack of thermal pads, so that you can use 1 or 2 as needed depending on the thickness of your drives) - and still it takes a bit of finesse to install without bending. Only possible exception seems to be Gigabyte as they usually have a bit more of a function over form M.2 heatsink design that is more or less universal across their boards.