• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firewatch Developer Campo Santo Acquired by Valve

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Firewatch Developer Campo Santo has announced in a blog post that their studio has been acquired by Valve. The affair has come about after a sort of enamorement period after the team at Campo Santo drank a bottle of champagne that was meant to be opened with the attribution of a Game of the Year accolade to Valve's own Portal 2 - back when Valve actually developed games (some of us can remember that time, yes).

The message sent by the Campo Santo team is one of excitement at the opportunity, and confidence that Valve will be a partner in the development their studio wants to make, rather than an evil overlord mind-bent on franchise and creativity destruction. Knowing Valve, I'm sure people would agree with the developers. Here's hoping this marks a newfound interest from Valve in games development... even if by proxy. How I miss GLADoS' jokes... but that's a story for another day. For now, you can read the press release from Campo Santo right after the break.

"The twelve of us at Campo Santo have agreed to join Valve, where we will maintain our jobs as video game developers and continue production on our current project, In the Valley of Gods.

If you're the type of person who gives two flips about this news, we can elaborate a little bit on this big decision. First, we really like making video games. Furthermore, and perhaps more accurately, we really like making and producing entertainment. From the day-to-day production of our last game, Firewatch, to the way we run the company, make merchandise, meet players at expos and shows, send out a quarterly literary journal, throw open-to-the-public game demos in the middle of an artificial forest-all of it is geared towards surprising, delighting, and entertaining the customers who have shared in our success.

In Valve we found a group of folks who, to their core, feel the same way about the work that they do (this, you may be surprised to learn, doesn't happen every day). In us, they found a group with unique experience and valuable, diverse perspectives. It quickly became an obvious match.

Second, while visiting IGN's headquarters in early 2015 to talk about Firewatch, we came across an undelivered 2011 Game of the Year Award for Portal 2. It happened to be engraved on an unopened bottle of champagne. Never ones to pass up free alcohol, we stole it and drank it to celebrate the launch of Firewatch a year later. So in some sense, this is a return home for us. Well, for that bottle of champagne.

Third, and last, we had a series of long conversations with the people at Valve and everyone shared the satisfaction we take in working with people whose talents dwarf our own to make things we never thought possible. Both sides spoke about our values and how, when you get right down to it, we, as human beings, are hard-limited by the time we have left when it comes to making the things we care about and believe in. They asked us if we'd all be interested in coming up to Bellevue and doing that there and we said yes.

Yes, we're still making In the Valley of Gods (as a Valve game!); yes, we'll still support Firewatch; and yes, we'll still produce The Quarterly Review and our regular blog content. Thanks so much for your interest in our games and we'll see you in Washington. Cheers."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Well, here's hoping everything just stays the same with them like they say. Other than more money. Reality: No matter how benevolent Valve seems, Campo Santo now answers to a publisher that owns them. Deadlines will be affected, even if they don't think so right now.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Well, here's hoping everything just stays the same with them like they say. Other than more money. Reality: No matter how benevolent Valve seems, Campo Santo now answers to a publisher that owns them. Deadlines will be affected, even if they don't think so right now.

I don't think deadlines are an issue. Value is pretty famous for being pretty lax on delivery dates. I mean, people are still waiting on HL3.

System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
After what they have done to Piewdiepie only because he played one of thier videogames .
I don't think a lot of people where going to buy thier walking sim with a interesting but short story.
Talking about Fire Watch .

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
After what they have done to Piewdiepie only because he played one of thier videogames .
I don't think a lot of people where going to buy thier walking sim with a interesting but short story.

Can't say I gather much smypathy for PewDiePie. The guy gets his kicks from trolling people and being offensive in general.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
He got shit for saying the worst thing in the worst time after all the scandals he had, the guy dug his own grave so stop making up the story. Also no one remembers that shit now.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I don't think deadlines are an issue. Value is pretty famous for being pretty lax on delivery dates. I mean, people are still waiting on HL3.
Good point!

@Capitan Harlock a lot of people did buy Firewatch. It was quite successful.

Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
He got shit for saying the worst thing in the worst time after all the scandals he had, the guy dug his own grave so stop making up the story. Also no one remembers that shit now.
I'm not making up any story, only because "MEDIA" give so much attention , the devs of Fire Watch decided to jump on the hate wagon before announcing the new game .
Now look what happen?
I don't think 62 millions of people that follow someone can't count on sales for your game .
I'm just saying what happen.
You that live there with all that made up mess in your country should know what i'm talking about.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm not making up any story, only because "MEDIA" give so much attention , the devs of Fire Watch decided to jump on the hate wagon before announcing the new game .
Now look what happen?
I don't think 62 millions of people that follow someone can't count on sales for your game .
I'm just saying what happen.
You that live there with all that made up mess in your country should know what i'm talking about.

This is the last thing I'll say about this. But dude, you seriously think 62 million people blindly follow a youtuber? I started to watch his videos back in januray 17, I know what happened. Yes, he got a lot of undeserved and manipulated shit for the fiverr thing. But the streaming thing was the stupidest thing he could do after what happened, the "MEDIA" didn't do anything, and he just apologized, but that doesn't save him from critics. The DMCA from Camposanto was another unjustified nonsense, but I can understand why they don't want him to go near them. And all of this is in the past and no one cares.

And what the fuck has to do my country with all this? Is not like the corporate "MEDIA" in every country has problems. Stop embarrasing yourself.

This is the last thing I'll say about this. But dude, you seriously think 62 million people blindly follow a youtuber? I started to watch his videos back in januray 17, I know what happened. Yes, he got a lot of undeserved and manipulated shit for the fiverr thing. But the streaming thing was the stupidest thing he could do after what happened, the "MEDIA" didn't do anything, and he just apologized, but that doesn't save him from critics. The DMCA from Camposanto was another unjustified nonsense, but I can understand why they don't want him to go near them. And all of this is in the past and no one cares.

And what the fuck has to do my country with all this? Is not like the corporate "MEDIA" in every country has problems. Stop embarrasing yourself.

I know better than you what the Media do in Europe other than in other places.
The thing is simple, if they had the money for stay up them self this acquisition would not have been possible.
Mistakes happen to anyone so , i don't think is not possible that what happen didn't influenced their sales .

Good thing is Valve and not EA .

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Can't say I gather much smypathy for PewDiePie. The guy gets his kicks from trolling people and being offensive in general.
The FireWatch takedown was a blatant violation of fair use, and people defend it because they dont like the youtuber affected. Just because you dont like a youtuber or reviewer doesnt mean its OK to suspend the rules and punish him on unrelated content for no good reason. It doesnt matter if it is pewdiepie, achievement hunter, game grumps, jim sterling, *instert gaming channel here* or even totally worthless people like keemstar.

Campo absolutely jumped on the hate train, and earned themselves a black eye PR wise for supporting a spurious DMCA takedown request. They threw their hat into the ring with companies like digital homicide and crazy youtubers like alex mauer when they decided to throw a DMCA because they didnt like a particular individual playing their game. Many people (including myself) will not buy a game from a petulant indie developer that abuses the legal system to throw a temper tantrum over a youtube personality.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
The FireWatch takedown was a blatant violation of fair use, and people defend it because they dont like the youtuber affected. Just because you dont like a youtuber or reviewer doesnt mean its OK to suspend the rules and punish him on unrelated content for no good reason. It doesnt matter if it is pewdiepie, achievement hunter, game grumps, jim sterling, *instert gaming channel here* or even totally worthless people like keemstar.

Campo absolutely jumped on the hate train, and earned themselves a black eye PR wise for supporting a spurious DMCA takedown request. They threw their hat into the ring with companies like digital homicide and crazy youtubers like alex mauer when they decided to throw a DMCA because they didnt like a particular individual playing their game. Many people (including myself) will not buy a game from a petulant indie developer that abuses the legal system to throw a temper tantrum over a youtube personality.

Oh I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that the two deserve each other. It's not like PewDiePie hasn't done any terrible spurious PR stunts....Cough *fake account deletion promise* Cough

If PewDiePie really felt he was wronged he could easily sue the indie developor for violation of fair use and argue they led to him loosing money. I've seen a ton of cases like this in the past.