• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Function of dentinal tubules and nerves in teeth?

I was researching stuff about our teeth, particularly mechanisms that create remineralization and how we accelerate that with different formulations in toothpaste.

For example, Colgate sells their toothpaste with ProArgin formulation that specifically fills dentinal tubules to block out nerve endings inside a tooth and ease the teeth sensitivity/pain of exposed dentine. Many other companies use various calcium/sodium fluoride based formulations as well and they all have same purpose. To remineralize tooth and cover these dentinal tubules and block nerve endings from being triggered by stimulants (like hot or cold food).

But I couldn't find any answer for both of these two things:
- Why are nerves even needed inside of inorganic body part like tooth? How could pain response help organism solve a decaying tooth if we exclude dentistry?
- What is the purpose or function of dentinal tubules? Wouldn't teeth be more resistant to erosion if they were entirely solid material without micron holes?

I hope we have a dentist among users here who could point me to articles or even explain it directly. Thx

To feel if there is too much pressure on them while chewing ? to feel the heat or cold ? and if your tooth was infected without it hurting it might be a big problem. Just guesses not a professional opinion.

Inorganic body part?? They grow/grew in your jaws, starting w/baby teeth. Root canal dentists (endodontists) make a living killing teeth, , ,

To feel if there is too much pressure on them while chewing ? to feel the heat or cold ? and if your tooth was infected without it hurting it might be a big problem. Just guesses not a professional opinion.

I was thinking of that as well, but you can already evaluate something of being cold or hot with your lips which are far more sensitive in that regard and not on the pain side, but just sensation of one or another extreme. And as far as infections, if we remove our ability to fix our teeth by visiting a dentist, how would tooth pain help organism solve the infection? If you had a tooth pain in the wild, I can't think of a single method of solving it other than bearing excruciating pain until tooth falls out because the jaw would be all rotten. So, as such it would have no real purpose to perceive pain if you can't do anything about it. I mean, main purpose of pain is to alert the organism that something is dangerous or wrong as a form as self preservation. With teeth, I can't think of any, really. Or is this simply one of flaws about our body, it serves the same function, alerting the organism of something wrong, but the organism can't really do anything about it to solve the problem.

@cornemuse
Just because it grew inside of us, that doesn't mean its organic. Teeth, just like bones are highly advanced mineral structure. And minerals by itself are inorganic.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
my guess would be to help warn of infection, or to bring attention to the possibility of damage that could lead to infection. i can think of no other reason, i have personally removed teeth on my own with a pair of pliars due to Extreme pain, and regrowing wisdom teeth, and I can TRULY relate to your question of why in the fuck can we feel these damn things, i have considered it in the past, and all i could come up with is the fact that if an infection in the mouth gets out of hand it can cause brain damage, and other terrible side effects if allowed to get out of control.

there may also be reasons based on feel, like being able to feel hardness of an object, or softness, for some perverted learning purpose i suppose.in the way a shark bites to feel. human children "feel" similarly with theyre mouth.or some type of Pre civilized human need to know if an item is edible or not.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Dentist thread on TPU :lovetpu:

Nerves are there as a warning system for what you eat... cold, hot or sturdy... ie protect from future damage while eating stone...

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
- What is the purpose or function of dentinal tubules?
Its a Vestigal Feature
From
So the Female can inject Venom males have a Dry bite :):):)
Like most species its the Female that is more Dangerous :)

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider