• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gainward gtx 550ti on Asus p5q se2 /help

Nemanja95

PC wont boot with above mentioned 550ti.Graphic card is working cause it boots on my amd platform (m5a97pro) I tried several bios revisions all same. Pcie slot on p5q is in working order too,at moment installed gts 250. Pls help me. Sorry for bad english :p

The GTX 550Ti has one 6 pin connector and draws a max power of 116 watts, while the GTS 250 is essentially a re-badged 9800GTX, has one 6 pin connector and draws 145 watts at max power. It's not a power supply problem, because the 250 works when plugged in. Unless there is a seating problem with the connector, there's no reason it should not boot up. Double check your seating at the PCI-E connector and carefully re-seat it, and FIRMLY. From there, carefully plug in the 6 pin connector, again, FIRMLY. From what you are stating, it seems to me that you have a grounding problem, but from an electrical standpoint, it's more like a short. Try checking the contacts individually under magnification. Hopefully this helps.

Past that, I'm out of ideas.