• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game suggestions for elderly-disabled (Alzheimer's, Dementia, Stroke)?

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I will go for a rather different couple suggestions from what were already mentioned in the thread:
1. One of my favorite “chill yet engaging” games that are mouse based and runs on older specs is Aquaria. It’s a metroidvania of sorts, but more cerebral and relaxing than the usual fare. The ocean visuals and soundscape is also very soothing, which I feel may be a plus.
2. Since Metal Slug and shoot’em ups were mentioned, Broforce is a good contender. A lot of variety in characters, many of which are from old-school action movies, which your dad might appreciate. Flexible difficulty setup too.
3. I can’t pass the opportunity to plug my favorite series - Ys. Particularly in this case the three games on the Napishtim engine - which are VI, remake of III and Origin. Those were all primarily PC titles on release, run on anything, great controls with KB and mouse without Complex mouse movements and they are far more action and exploration oriented than the newer titles. Some story, but it’s skippable and not as important overall. The real draw here is fast and addictive combat without being overwhelming. It’s insanely satisfying, often described by myself and others as popping bubble wrap. I know, it’s fantasy, but fairly old-school one and significantly less anime than, again, later games.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I've just ranted about how bad mobile games are in another thread, but the original Plants vs Zombies is decent fun with just enough complexity to be interesting, but it's not going to tax the grey matter too hard. No need to emulate the mobile version, there's a fully-fledged Windows version with no ads and zero grinding for peanuts on Steam.

I see XCOM has already been mentioned, but the Firaxis 2012 XCOM:EU is one of my favourite games ever. Chimera Squad might be an easier entry to the series than either XCOM:EU or XCOM2.

People have already mentioned point-and-click narrative games, of which I think Disco Elysium is one of the finest.

Another genre that always goes down well with casual gamers are the Pontifex/bridge-builder games.

SPaZ (the first one) and Starscape are two basic top-down spaceship RPGs I've enojoyed, and FTL is a great Space-based roguelite that you can pause and play as slowly as you want to. The next game from the FTL Developer is Into the Breach, and that's more of a turn-based RTS but I think it's at least worth mentioning because it's both simple and good.

So, as a list -

Mouse-based games:
  • Plants vs Zombies, and if he likes that there are plenty of good TD games.
  • XCOM, XCOM2, Chimera Squad - all very good, easily accessible tactics games.
  • Narrative point-and-clicks, starting with Disco Elysium
  • Bridge-builder games
  • Space Pirates and Zombies, which is a better version of the simpler, smaller Starscape
  • FTL
  • Into the Breach
FPS games that don't need fast reflexes and have a bit of thinking:
  • Portal and Portal2 (and hey, there's a Portal Bridge Builder game too!
  • The Stanley Parable.
  • The Talos Principle (maybe the puzzles have too many layers, or maybe this is the kind of brain workout he needs/wants?)
  • Valley/Firewatch or other narrative-based FPS exploration games with minimal combat
  • The Turing Test - a mix between narrative and puzzle, but easy for casuals to appreciate
  • Subnautica (good, relaxed game that tests your 3D spatial awareness and mapping memory)
Simpler side-scrolling or top-down puzzle games I can recommend:
  • Braid
  • Brothers - A tale of two sons
  • Limbo/Inside
  • World of Goo (elements of bridge-builder games here too)
  • Osmos, or other Katamari-style "eat things smaller than you" games.

Last edited:
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
I see XCOM has already been mentioned, but the Firaxis 2012 XCOM:EU is one of my favourite games ever. Chimera Squad might be an easier entry to the series than either XCOM:EU or XCOM2.
I personally prefer Xenonauts 2, but they are all relatively similar.

I did see a WW2 turn-based combat game was just announced here on TPU.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZ
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 4080 16GB X3
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x (2021)
May be worth giving Dorfromantik a look, too. It's pretty peaceful and low-intensity, but there's some strategy to putting down its hex-shaped tiles so they extend quest chains or just give higher scores. (and look prettier)

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Bejeweled 3

Edit: He'd recently asked about a Metal Slug-descendant game.
So, the 'shoot-em-up' and 'sidescroller-shooter' kind of gameplay might be 'his speed', as well.
(I know that style of game *was* pretty common for smaller devs. and student projects. Maybe there's some gems I'm not aware of?)

Ummm... I can't beat Metal Slug even with my 30-year-old reflexes and dexterity.

If you want to try that route, "Cuphead" is considered one of the best "modern Metal Slugs" today. Maybe try it on an easier setting for older age? And definitely get a controller, which should be easier on the hands than keyboard/mouse.

----------

Here's another try.

How about Jamestown? Its a hard game, but if you play with him, the only way you both lose is if you both die.

Even if you die, he has the chance to resurrect you. So coop/couch gameplay. Both of you together can tackle levels. Its not an easy game, but co-op means anyone can "help", regardless of their skill level or dexterity.

--------

Metal Slug / shoot-em-up games are some of the hardest, most dexterity-based games I've ever played. But if that's what brings joy, then Jamestown + Coop mode is probably your best bet. Cuphead is also coop / multiplayer, but not quite as "nice" or cooperative as Jamestown.

-------------

Single-player games with a dexterity challenge but appropriate for aging hands/reflexes get... difficult... for me to think of. I'd argue that Final Fantasy 7 (Real-time RPG), with menu-based gameplay but "realtime" countdowns might be best? You have to think quickly, but any particular action is menu-based and less dependent on dexterity. You still need a quick wit to recognize the timing of the bosses and interact with the "time-based" gameplay.

Of the list Chrispy_ made here, FTL would be my top pick out of all the games for this situation.

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
M.Y.S.T / Obduction or other CYAN point and click games.

No sure but someone mentioned The Talos Principle...

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
OR maybe a trivia game, or word game. That always gets my mind going when I'm doing nothing like waiting at the medical office.