• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU/PCIe problem very, very strange please help

Binder69

Hi, looking for any help, I recently purchased a used GPU, after installation in the PCIe #1 slot I fired it up and didn't get a picture. Weird thing is it works in the 2nd slot, and it will work in the first slot if the 2nd slot is occupied. When it's in the 1st slot and the 2nd slot isn't occupied I don't think the system is booting properly because my Icue software isn't kicking in to control the RGB. The card is a Sapphire RX 590 8G, Asus B450-F MOBO and Ryzen 2600X CPU. Has anyone had this type of problem? Thnaks for any help.

Maybe the slot is dirty and not making a connection? What happens if you try another GPU in the slot?
Motherboard might be faulty.

Binder69

Thanks for the reply, other cards are fine in the first slot, but the new one only works in the second slot by itself but will work in the first slot if another card is occupying the second slot. Strange goings on

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It sounds like the card doesn't like to run at x16. Possibly the connector on the card is dirty, or maybe damaged in some way. Though it is supposed to automatically negotiate down to x8 if there is an issue. However, that might not be happening with the card, and instead the system is hanging on the PCI-E negotiation point.

Take a look at the connector on the card and see if you can spot any issues. Pay particular attention to all the little capacitors that run along the PCI-E connector on the back of the card to make sure none are damaged.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard ?

Binder69

It sounds like the card doesn't like to run at x16. Possibly the connector on the card is dirty, or maybe damaged in some way. Though it is supposed to automatically negotiate down to x8 if there is an issue. However, that might not be happening with the card, and instead the system is hanging on the PCI-E negotiation point.

Take a look at the connector on the card and see if you can spot any issues. Pay particular attention to all the little capacitors that run along the PCI-E connector on the back of the card to make sure none are damaged.

You're the winner! Won't run at x16, I'm running it in the second slot, from what I've read I shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Cheers.