• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Grid pattern on ground textures - Ghost of Tsushima Act 3

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix B550-A
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S Chromax; 3x Be Quiet! Silent wings 4 120mm case fans.
Memory Gskill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 CL16 (2×16)
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 12GB
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Boot), Samsung 2TB QVO (Bulk), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME (Xfast storage)
Display(s) Aoc 31.5" 1440p 75hz; Asus 24" 1080p 75hz (secondary)
Case Phanteks P300 white w/ P300A front mesh panel.
Power Supply Corsair RM750X 2021
I've been loving GoT so far and it's running flawlessly on my rig. However upon reaching Act 3, I noticed a lot of the snowy paths show a kind of "grid" on their textures, as if they're not quite joining together and showing the snow underneath. I tried clearing my shader cache, changing tessellation mode to "application controlled" instead of "AMD optimized", but no luck. Is this a known bug / is there a solution to this, or do I just have to ignore it?

Specs:
Win11
R7 5800X3D w/ Dark Rock 4 cooler
Asus ROG B550-A ATX
RX 7900XT Sapphire Pulse
32gb DDR4-3200
Game is running on a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb NVME

GPU drivers are the most recent type.
I have also tried turning off all texture-filtering related settings in Catalyst, as well as turning them up. Doesn't make any difference.

Attachments

• GoT grid1.png
    GoT grid1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 93
  • GoT grid2.png
    GoT grid2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
First thing you should do is revert the AMD settings to default. Refrain from changing settings you do not understand, if the default setting doesn't work, it's not changing obscure settings in the driver control panel that will fix it. Tessellation does not affect textures (it's a geometry function), for example: just leave things on automatic/AMD optimized - and make sure you are running driver 24.5.1, which supports this game the best that it can currently be supported.

That's classic texture corruption, wait for AMD driver updates or game patches that will correct the problem. Changing other settings is highly likely to make it worse. Also, disable FSR upscaling and frame generation, they can cause minor rendering errors such as these.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix B550-A
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S Chromax; 3x Be Quiet! Silent wings 4 120mm case fans.
Memory Gskill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 CL16 (2×16)
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 12GB
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Boot), Samsung 2TB QVO (Bulk), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME (Xfast storage)
Display(s) Aoc 31.5" 1440p 75hz; Asus 24" 1080p 75hz (secondary)
Case Phanteks P300 white w/ P300A front mesh panel.
Power Supply Corsair RM750X 2021
First thing you should do is revert the AMD settings to default. Refrain from changing settings you do not understand, if the default setting doesn't work, it's not changing obscure settings in the driver control panel that will fix it. Tessellation does not affect textures (it's a geometry function), for example: just leave things on automatic/AMD optimized - and make sure you are running driver 24.5.1, which supports this game the best that it can currently be supported.

That's classic texture corruption, wait for AMD driver updates or game patches that will correct the problem. Changing other settings is highly likely to make it worse. Also, disable FSR upscaling and frame generation, they can cause minor rendering errors such as these.
Ok, I'll try reverting them to default settings. I have cleared the shader cache too which lead to the game recompiling the shaders although that had no effect. I'm on the most recent catalyst driver so not sure what else I can do. I'll see if an AMD setting reset works later on when I have time to test it.

Ok, I reset the settings in Catalyst to default and deleted the custom tuning profile for GoT. I also moved my text / UI scaling from 125% back to 100% and cleared the game's shader cache again. This made no difference to the grid pattern, nor did changing any of the in-game graphics settings or AA settings. The grid seems to be superimposed given that 3D footprints are also affected.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Ok, I'll try reverting them to default settings. I have cleared the shader cache too which lead to the game recompiling the shaders although that had no effect. I'm on the most recent catalyst driver so not sure what else I can do. I'll see if an AMD setting reset works later on when I have time to test it.

Ok, I reset the settings in Catalyst to default and deleted the custom tuning profile for GoT. I also moved my text / UI scaling from 125% back to 100% and cleared the game's shader cache again. This made no difference to the grid pattern, nor did changing any of the in-game graphics settings or AA settings. The grid seems to be superimposed given that 3D footprints are also affected.

I looked it up, apparently there are some people on Reddit that are experiencing issues with the textures as well, often manifesting itself as completely black textures in a few areas. Might be worth putting in a ticket with Nixxes, but looks like they might already be aware of it. I haven't bought this game yet (plan on doing it sometime soon), so I can't be of much more help.

UI scaling shouldn't be interfering (as I believe it's rendered in a plane of its own), but FSR/DLSS/XeSS can cause this type of issue if the upscaler setting is too aggressive. That's why I brought them up earlier.