• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have the worlds biggest super computers ever been used to try to figure out new concrete mixtures for roads/buildings?

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I think if you drove a couple SUV type cars and big rig's over those old roman roads the miracle of their survival would tarnish quickly.
Don't drive behind them though. Being stoned to death is an ugly way to go...

it's about a black box with dozens of incompletely understood variables
Yeah. We usually avoid telling people outside the trade that we have absolutely no idea what we are doing. Bad for business (and ego).

It can be a motive to get even better education and experience in their field.
I was joking (something I seem to really suck at).
Education is also bad for business. Ego seems to correlate positively.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Yeah. We usually avoid telling people outside the trade that we have absolutely no idea what we are doing. Bad for business (and ego).
Thus the plethora of technical parlance used to describe common items, in every trade.

System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.

The first study does demonstrate my "need for legs and field work" claim.

The second proposes a method to think of recipes to test. The testing itself (and as lilhasselhofer wrote, figuring out how to cook the recipe in the first place) are the limiting factors in this pipeline. To reiterate:
wear modelling of structural material is nearly-always carried out physically (i.e. physically make your mix/pavement/beams/whatever and impose forces in the lab). Can't say you can't simulate it numerically, but I'd wager you'll still be limited by how fast you can do the physical tests (for verification/calibration).

I...am astonished that people don't understand the difference between engineering, experimentation, and modelling sometimes. It is fun to discuss, so please forgive me the diversion.

Folding at home is taking known items, modeling them, and reverse engineering their structures with finite rules. It's modelling complex systems...not developing new stuff. As such it's only useful for modelling and thereby extrapolating data from. Once you get that protein structure mapped you still need it to do something.

Experimentation is defining those rules of modelling, by defining processes. This seems to be what the OP was actually asking about years ago. The problem is that the final structure of a thing can be greatly influenced by how it's processed. Others cited Roman concrete, which has had half a dozen "break throughs" in the last decade. Some of it was material input, other bits were processing, and some was simple testing. I find it funny that people think this is the realm of a supercomputer, where for the last several hundred years it's actually been patents and protected trade secrets which make things like brand name metal alloys and composites so valuable. Somebody out there tested thousands of alloys before settling on 1095 as "cabon steel" and even more before they started manipulating grain sizes and the like with annealing. All of which is so complex that modeling it stupid when a test is cheaper and faster.

Finally, engineering should be back of the bus. Engineers solve problems, using specified materials. They don't, largely, care if you find a 10% more carbon neutral solution, they care if the compressive strength remains the same. The problems usually stem from materials displacing design. Think some of the earliest porus parking lots getting destroyed by traffic in months rather than years.

So no, I don't think that supercomputers model concrete at any substantive level. It's not about money...it's about a black box with dozens of incompletely understood variables...which is a bad black box. It's also a black box whose output is devoid of meaning without finite goals...as anybody trying to sequester fly ash can make basically disintegrating foamy (but highly insulative) concrete or a surprisingly dense block with little more than process changes.

This post should really / thread.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I know of only a few use case scenarios that super computers have been used for, mainly climate modeling, etc.

I was wondering with that kind of compute power, would it be possible to code a program to utilize all that power to test out various plants/herbs and traditional concrete mixtures, to see if you can make something more long lasting or solid (I don't know transportation terminology here sorry)... but I think you are getting my overall question here.

Or so super computers simply not work this way? Any thoughts at all welcome, was just thinking about this tonight and curious... what if we could solve all the road repair problems overnight, what if it is some sort of combination we simply haven't tried, I know things have been tried, but a super computer would be able to try everything... rather quickly I imagine. There are so many variables at play, I wonder if its just something humans have been missing... some ingredient we are missing to make roads withstand the freezing and unfreezing weather, the giant semi weight, etc.

There has to be some kind of combo of things from the periodic table of elements or plants or something we are missing... and since the variables are infinite, do you think there is any kind of coding that could be created to figure this out? We figure out concrete we kind of solve climate change, cause a green long lasting concrete would also allow for the expansion of other green energies, etc.
Honestly, probably a waste. I think concrete has probably been studied by man for thousands of years and is probably at the point or past the point of diminishing returns (economically anyway)

Also, can't really use it for roads where it's cold, freeze thaw cycles, salt, frost heave make short work of concrete, so it's not economical. Most roads up here are paved with asphalt.

*Disclaimer - I worked a few summers in a concrete batch plant - not a civil engineer*

Additional info - yes for cold weather where concrete will be exposed to freeze thaw cycles air entrainment is added to usually achieve a 6%-8% makeup. Garage slabs on grade here in Canada have air entrainment - well, they are supposed to. Modern concrete has a bunch of additives that improve characteristics for specific environments. Super P can be added to increase slump for pumping or self levelling, there is SCC (self consolidating concrete, sulphate resistant concrete, blending in fibres for reinforcement, some even ok to replace rebar for some uses, etc. etc. Grace, BASF/master-builders, Sika, etc. make a lot of these chemicals.

I know of only a few use case scenarios that super computers have been used for, mainly climate modeling, etc.

I was wondering with that kind of compute power, would it be possible to code a program to utilize all that power to test out various plants/herbs and traditional concrete mixtures, to see if you can make something more long lasting or solid (I don't know transportation terminology here sorry)... but I think you are getting my overall question here.

Or so super computers simply not work this way? Any thoughts at all welcome, was just thinking about this tonight and curious... what if we could solve all the road repair problems overnight, what if it is some sort of combination we simply haven't tried, I know things have been tried, but a super computer would be able to try everything... rather quickly I imagine. There are so many variables at play, I wonder if its just something humans have been missing... some ingredient we are missing to make roads withstand the freezing and unfreezing weather, the giant semi weight, etc.

There has to be some kind of combo of things from the periodic table of elements or plants or something we are missing... and since the variables are infinite, do you think there is any kind of coding that could be created to figure this out? We figure out concrete we kind of solve climate change, cause a green long lasting concrete would also allow for the expansion of other green energies, etc.
its already been done...it is called Roman concrete...check it out

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Honestly, probably a waste. I think concrete has probably been studied by man for thousands of years and is probably at the point or past the point of diminishing returns (economically anyway)

I disagree, I think AI Supercomputers in particular are going to change everything, for example AI already discovered a new battery that humans didn't yet, because it is able to draw so much information at once. I think it also will be able to discover a concrete enhancement or replacement at some point.

Also, from a previous post I already made in this thread, it's already happening:

I disagree, I think AI Supercomputers in particular are going to change everything, for example AI already discovered a new battery that humans didn't yet, because it is able to draw so much information at once. I think it also will be able to discover a concrete enhancement or replacement at some point.

Also, from a previous post I already made in this thread, it's already happening:

Well, that is all great - what we have missed out. & I agree, that AI is a great tool to be used, for a search & research into some themes.

But do not believe AI so much, as all this needs to be proven also.

So, it is nice to have such a powerful search engine - but human still need to check it & re-check the facts. Been there, done that.