• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How are PCI-E lanes controlled? IOU12

Hi,

Trying to understand how Pci Express lanes in lets say a 6850k processor are allocated and controlled. As I understand you have four controllers inside the cpu that manage the lane allocation. IOU 0-3 controlling 1 4X, 1 8X, and 2 16X lane pairs. Looking into my bios with Amibcp I have also noticed there are four IIO divisions that control their own set of IOU’s so I’m a little confused about how its all designed if someone could help explain this all?

Thanks

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Your mobo manual shows the lane breakdowns and dependencies by processor.

What, exactly do you want to know???

Specifically how the IOU lanes are allocated to physical PCI-E Slots and how its controlled on the processor level.

Thanks for the link.

Haven’t been able to download PDFs from Intel all day! Intel site must be down?!

I've been studying it for last few days. This is what I was able to discern. Basically you have four Integrated IO controllers controlling various functions. Intel only details three but there are four. Each one has a setting for setting device 1 bifurcation mode though the first IIO I got better results setting its bits on through IntelSetup. There are also four pairs of PCI-E lanes that have there own device number such as Device 0 to Device 3. Device 0 is the DMI, Device 1 is the 8X channel, Device 2 + 3 are the 16X channels. The IIO's are identified as Device 5. Gets pretty confusing.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Honestly unless you are having resource conflicts or irq conflicts, its easiest to leave them default unless if you can contact the cpu/chipset/mobo engineers.

There are some things we aren't to know.

@cdawall what's your take?

Well knowing is believing because I was able to add an option in my bios to bifurcate the last lane. I even verified that the right registers where being altered. Tested results in Hwinfo64. Now waiting for my two port adapter to come in mail and give it a proper test.