• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i bricked my msi rx580 gaming x+ gpu, but not anymore! :)

kd0

System Name Fatal1ty
Processor Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty z97x killer
Cooling Noctua NHD-14
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400MHz G.Skill RipJaws
Video Card(s) MSi RX580 Gaming X+ 8gb, MSi RX 480 Armor OC 8gb, XFX RX 460 (SLIM) 4gb
Storage PNY Optima 240GB SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x500gb Toshibas in RAID0
Display(s) LG 1080p HDTV (HDMI) (60hz)
Case Rosewill Rise Full Tower Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Rosewill Photon 750w Gold Certified PSU (ACTIVE PFC)
Mouse Razer Taipan 1000hz polling rate @ 800dpi - 3000dpi
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate Mechanical Keyboard (MONSTER GREEN BACK LIT)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores [url=http://www.ultraforum.org]Ultraforum.org[/url]
He made his own thread on the matter. In which I did my best to explain to him what needed to be done, and pointed him the right direction to find the knowledge he needed to help himself. I also made it clear that if he ran into problems or had any questions that all he needed to do was ask me. I'm quite well versed on the subject of using atiflash and atiwinflash. And I understand the process of the 1+8 pin mod too. I'm 99.99% certain I could have talked him through reflashing the stock BIOS to his card, in as many steps as necessary, just as easily as anyone else. It's not my fault that he basically refused my offering of help. I tried my best. But good for you for doing so. And by all means feel free to get all "holier-than-thou" about it.

Good grief...:shadedshu:

i was focusing on loving one another not spiritual matters, it is true, the song talks of god, but you dont have to be a believe in god to show love. Sorry if it angered you, but i was not pointing a finger directly at you.. nor was i reading the rest of the forum either.. just this thread. Im glad you tried to help him :)

however im not coming back to this post before some kinda drama/flaming starts anyone is free to prvi message me for ethereum mods to their rx480's and rx580s

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
hye eidai i have an vapor x 7950 and the same prob ..is it 1 and 8 or 1 and 5 in the corner
without forgetting that the 1 is specified by dot from manufactory -realy need help

@MrGenius might be able to help. I don't brick my cards using incorrect bios files.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

seawind8

Hello from me also, i have a similar issue but with a minor change.
First of all i would like to say that i have two gpu in seperate motherboards one rx 570 gamming and a 580 gamming.
I managed to brick both cards at some point.

I have the knowledge (now :p ) what to do and opened the computer with intergrated or a pci card in order to reflash the card to the original bios.
With my 570 everything worked after so many hours of troubleshooting.

But with my 580 i had an issue.. Whenever i puted my card to any motherboard i saw black screen as usual but the pc keeps rebooting before even lets me go into bios.
I tried also with a paperclip to use the 1 - 8 pin but sill no solution.

Also tried to enter the card after the pc has booted to windows but when i insert it to the pci e slot pc reboots instantly.

Tried this to several motherboards

Can anyone assist me?

Thank you in advance

seawind8

I managed to solder the 1 - 8 pin and entered windows using a second GPU but now i have another problem.
I cannot flash the card to the original bios with Atiflash. It says it failed to read rom Error 0FL01

Unfortunately i cannot boot to do this from DoS USB due to motherboard. Any suggestions? I also tried Unlockrom
580 rom error.PNG

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
He took it to private messages with me and i saved his card for him.. im in utter shock at the behavior of people.. the world truly is wicked, and getting worse day by day. Thats why i stay away from forums and social media, and TV. I choose my entertainment wisely even.. even the music i listen to is wholesome and good for the mind and heart.. i dont really play games anymore either its mostly violence and killing and bombs.. racing games even seem to be about breaking the law and street racing.. this guy wanted genuine help, he was obviously not from the USA as well.. i would take refugees from war or tragedy into my home even and help them adapt to a new country, its laws, proper dress.. EVERYTHING... you guys should listen to "black eyed peas - where is the love?" .. try loving one another you guys, we all have things in common here, we love computers, we have common ground, differing opinions should be respected and seen from both human stand points.. take eidariaman1.. he lovingly warns new users not to flash their bios.. i respect that, and he did try to help, a few others tried to help also.. but he was so desperate he was requesting TEAM VIEWER even.. and no one stepped up to the plate. Had i been watching this old post i would of gladly VNC'd him or taught him the CMD line commands for atiwinflash right here in this topic.. but instead i did it privately. Now im getting users private messaging for help and im helping them.. one guy lovingly thanked me and requested my ethereum address even, i saved him from buying another rx580. That brought me great joy and a smile to my face once i learned it was working again. Isn't that your guys's goal on this forum? to use your wisdom, knowledge, experience to help others? in a kind loving way? If it is not, then i dont belong here.

you must have long arms to reach ALL the way around to Your own back like that.:laugh:

I believe this is the link to the resolution OP was mentioning for those who needed it

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Once your card boots you need to disconnect the short in the jumper

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Dude figured it out using none other then GOOGLE, now his is a savoir!!!!! LOLZ!!!:nutkick: Just give him a crypto kickback is all.............

tadeeii

@kd0 This post just saved our Sapphire Pulse rx580 8gb. Also, in our case we had make sure Windows booted up normally (not in repair/recovery screen), before connecting the bricked card and doing 1-8 method !
Many thanks, and may the force be with you, always ! :toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast:

rajnayedmund

Hi,

do you have any idea how can i differentiate between a bricked and a dead GPU?
Also, when I reboot the PC using the integrated GPU, should atiflash recognize the bricked GPU? Because for me, it doesn't.

I flashed the BIOS on a new ROG STRIX RX580 O8G card. It worked fine for a couple of hours but since then it just don't. The PC won't boot with it, fans don't move, but leds are on. I did not tried 1-8 method since I should have to remove the blackplate.

Thanks

Considering flashing modded BIOS's is what made TPU so famous..... so many are too quick to judge.

It's part of his signature I think. As it appears every-time he posts. I mis-read it in my own thread and no one even mentioned flashing there. lol

eirdairaman can you not tone that sig down a bit or perhaps the word 'stupid' could change to say 'be careful"?

It's awfully big too. And the colour. lol.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
eirdairaman can you not tone that sig down a bit or perhaps the word 'stupid' could change to say 'be careful"?

It's awfully big too. And the colour
:shadedshu:
awww.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Hi,

do you have any idea how can i differentiate between a bricked and a dead GPU?
Also, when I reboot the PC using the integrated GPU, should atiflash recognize the bricked GPU? Because for me, it doesn't.

I flashed the BIOS on a new ROG STRIX RX580 O8G card. It worked fine for a couple of hours but since then it just don't. The PC won't boot with it, fans don't move, but leds are on. I did not tried 1-8 method since I should have to remove the blackplate.

Thanks

Reseat the card check your power connections, if no dice you smoked your card, RMA it.

Putting incorrect bios on cards can burn them up too, especially if they don't match the stock keeping unit number or device ID