• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I formatted an HDD with my Bitcoin Wallet, anyway to recover it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name unnamed currently :*(
Processor Intel Core i7-5960x
Motherboard ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Cooling EKWB/Bitspower CPU, motherboard & GPU WB
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4gb ddr4 2666
Video Card(s) nVidia GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 1 TB M.2 SSD & WD Black 5TB HDD
Display(s) Asus SwiftROG PG278Q & Asus PB277Q
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Corsair Axi1200
Mouse Steel Series Sensei RAW
Keyboard Corsair K70
Benchmark Scores 4.8 ghz @ 1.37 - 5930k - old cpu 4.6 GHZ @ 1.3 - 5960X - current cpu
werecoverdata.com

I used this server to recover data from an Iphone that was fell and was ran over by a car ( don't ask for details lol). It costed me $500 but this is a professional service. This is more for enterprise businesses but how important is that bitcoin :D I had to drop off/send in the Iphone for repair and i could see a memory chip that was bent and they were still able to recover.

It's also pretty hard to accidentally format a hard disk. I'd say the difference in difficulty is academic at that point, and honestly, you are looking for a jab at bitcoin where there is none.
I doubt people accidentally format drives a lot.
What they do is: they have a mess in their files and when they have to do a format, they don't know if there is something important or not. And they don't have time to check those hundreds of GBs.
If you've grown up on a Linux, you should have good habits when it comes to folder structure.
Actually, if you're on Windows and you use it as Microsoft recommends (libraries: documents, photos, music etc), it's still not bad.
But this is not how people use Windows. They keep most files on the desktop and when it fills up, they make a folder like "old_desktop" and move everything there. Or they put files directly on C:. And so on.

And I'm not looking for a jab at bitcoin by all means. I'm looking for a jab at the good old stupidity.

You just stated the reason with your last statement. I do that all the time on different machines I control. It is a legit circumstance.
The "why" remains. The real "why" - not the "because I can" kind.
Why format a drive you intend to use further? I don't get that. I don't think I've ever quick-formatted a drive beside installing an OS.

You're assuming a lot.
Work habit.
That people care if family see what's on the disk, that the disk is given to family or sold or whatever, that the time to erasure is worth the security of the data, a lot of assumptions man...
But here I've hardly assumed anything. I built a decision tree covering all possibilities. If you plan to give the disk away, you won't find any circumstances that could support quick formatting. Seriously, give it a thought. :)
If you don't care if your family sees your files, just give them the disk. Why format at all?
But what happens when they decide to sell or throw it away? Will they sanitize it?

BTW: quick formatting is also usually not recommended/not allowed in corporate environments. If your company has a security policy, you can check what it says. Mine forbids formatting in general (it's locked in Windows).

At home I'm also rather strict when it comes to data. Everything private is encrypted, I change my passwords regularly, I don't give them away. I don't let my girlfriend use my accounts on our computers. Of course I have multiple backups and so on. I find all these to be pretty basic stuff...

System Name littlet
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) ZAKU II EDITION
Cooling EK AIO Basic 240
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4X16GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX™ A2000 12GB
Storage C: WD_BLACK SN850 1TB
Display(s) ViewSonic VX3276-2K-mhd
Case ASUS Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply Corsair SF 600
Software Windows
try a program called Recover My Files
i used it to recover my photo collection after a full format
it is an old program
good luck

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
The bottom line notb is a full format takes a long time, and if you do not care who sees whats on the disk or the disk remains in your control, it is often a legit action to do a quick erase during reinstall. At least you start with an uninflated mft this way (NTFS only).

It really is that simple. It's a simple matter of the value of your time vs the value of the data.

System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
Try GetDataBack - I have very high recovery rates when use it

Edit -May need to set options to - excessive scan,recover lost files,recover deleted files and untick quick scan

I've used GetDataBack before and it's performed brilliantly. Just keep the drive you want to recover out of use until you do the recovery.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
I don't normally recommend reaching out outside TPU but, this is pretty serious...

Find and contact LordXeb @ ExtremeHW (Former OCNer).
He's super-enthusiastic and professional when it comes to drive hardware and data recovery.
Oh I do more than just side recovery. I do clean room work, firmware repair, file system reconstruction, data deletion recovery. I also do RAID recoveries as well. I deal with a lot of badly degraded drives too. Currently learning about the newer drives and working on SSDs. BTW, I would say over half of SSDs are not recoverable either do to no support, severe firmware/controller failure or just straight up dead NAND. Monolithic recovery is a whole other specialty.
He'd probably be happy to help a member of the community even, from outside of OldOCN/EHW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.