• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 8086K memory sweet spot between timings and frequency?

D

Deleted member 185158

This is because we deal in the realm of the OP, where he states.... "I will be happy at 5.0Ghz, 24/7" That to me means he wants to accomplish this in a daily driver, not for LN2 suicide runs. My experience plays into what he is looking to do more than some list at HWBOT with ~2V to the memory under "extreme" cooling, which I also mentioned in my above posts.

Right, why I started the page at 5ghz memory frequency where there are plenty of submissions that are not on LN2.
I run 1.60v under normal conditions up to but not exceeding 1.90v on air cooling.

The entire POINT why I put the list there was for possible hardware combinations he can look at a variety of memory types and specs for X frequency at X timings for example, he could scroll down the list where your submissions are at around the 4800mhz range and so forth.

I digress, only trying to help here.

System Name Dual Socket HP z820 Workstation
Processor Twin Intel Xeon E5 2673 v2 OEM processors (thats a total of 16C/32T)
Motherboard HP Dual Socket Motherboard
Cooling Stock HP liquid cooling
Memory 64GB Registered ECC memory kit (octal channel memory on this rig)
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
Storage 2 x 512GB SSD in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 23" 75Hz Gaming monitors 1080P x2
Case Brushed Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Integrated (5.1)
Power Supply HP 1125W Stock PSU
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
You could always just get an actual 8086 off ebay for $5 if your looking for historical significance. :p
IMO an 8086K has no "Historical significance" since it's just an 8700K with a different name.

lol

Perhaps it's nothing historical. I just wanted something distinctive.

I also need to watch my thermals because it's going to be air cooled. 12 threads is enough for me!

Thanks for the tips so far. I've also heard some good things about the Asus Maximus xi formula motherboard.

And it sounds like the Z390 dark is very picky when it comes to memory?

Decisions decisions..

5ghz uncore should be quite easily doable on a 8086K that is a good bin - as for 5000mhz on ram you'd better run some horrible timings on b-die to even make that possible - it run makes more sense to suck it up and push for 4600mhz instead and crunch down on subs.
As for Rev.E (that corsair kit) it makes more sense on intel to buy B-die instead and just run them at awful timings to achieve the same effect, Rev.E literally runs awful sub timings to even clock well, and that's why they clock well. You might as well go 4400cl19, push ram volts to 1.5v-1.55v then aim for that 5000mhz goal and make sure to run CL20 or something similar.

Okay so it sounds like I'm going to have my hands full. No problem, I like a good challenge.

That being said, I should just avoid the headache of going for broke for 5000 on the memory side of things. I have seen numerous 8086Ks with blisteringly low latency with ram running at ~4500Mhz. The question is, can I do that day in and day out while maintaining system stability? I guess we will find out...

Quick question. What exactly do you mean when you say B-die? Are you referring to a specific revision on a memory module or something?

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

It is a specific type of Samsung memory ICs, or the chips on the memory sticks.
B-die is traditionally what it takes to get high speeds/low timings compared to the many others out there.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
Thanks for the tips so far. I've also heard some good things about the Asus Maximus xi formula motherboard.

The good Asus Z390 boards are the Apex/Extreme/Gene.

Asus really cheaped out on the vrm of the Hero/Code/Formula which are all basically the same board with different i/o panels/aesthetics.

I own the Code it's fine but if I could go back I would buy the Aorus Master instead.

The formula only makes sense if you're doing an open loop and you plan on including your vrm in the cooling loop.

The Dark might be picky with memory but it's still way better than any Asus board and if someone asked me to trade I would do it in an instant :).

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
That being said, I should just avoid the headache of going for broke for 5000 on the memory side of things. I have seen numerous 8086Ks with blisteringly low latency with ram running at ~4500Mhz. The question is, can I do that day in and day out while maintaining system stability? I guess we will find out...
Past a certain point, ram offers very minor improvements. Also as ram is cheaper now than it was for some time now, a quick 32GB kit (16x2) might be nice to have instead of the absolute fastest 16GB kit. A fast large SSD might be worthwhile too.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
So as most of you know, I decided on another six-core, 9th Gen Intel Core processor,
the little powerhouse known as the i5-9600KF. I like the idea of having enough horsepower to accomplish my goals without the added heat and power draw of an 8 core beast. This rig is built to my specifications, so don't worry if you see things you don't like.

I checked and only my new laptop showed up today, NOT the motherboard and CPU which is what I am waiting on. So we may have to wait until tomorrow for the actual build.

By the way, I went with the MSI MEG Z390 ACE

New (used) Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T510 $75 (8GB RAM, SSD and Core i7 processor en route)
-The only problem I noticed is that it has some type of corporate tracking mechanism called computrace. Is anyone familiar with this? I think I'll need to flash the BIOS to get rid of it.

MSI ACE has arrived. This board is HEAVY. Looks like it could withstand a nuclear holocaust. STILL WAITING ON THE CPU.

I also have my MSI Tomohawk 1151 mobo, the first mainboard board I ordered, contemplating what to do with it now. Perhaps I will build another 9th Gen system and sell it later or gift it to my parents. We'll see.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
So I've been busy ordering parts and fine tuning my program here.

-Purchased 2nd Acer 23" gaming monitor (Dual HDMI)

-Purchased gaming mouse

-Purchased a BRAND NEW Cooler Master Sileo 500 case, spent hours scouring the internet and no success and I literally got the LAST ONE (Case is no longer made) - I like it because it has sound dampening materials, very quiet and I prefer the retro look. Yes, cooling will be an issue but we are addressing that as well. And I absolutely HATE how cases have evolved over the last few years. They've done away with 5.25 drive bays altogether and it seems like the overwhelming majority of them have at least 20lb of glass hanging off both sides. Not to mention the fact that most of look like they are from another planet and designed by aliens lol. Plus, RGB has gone way to far... I will never go RGB! These gaming cases you see on Newegg are way oversized for my needs. And I'm not even mentioning the sheer weight of some of these cases. Most of them are larger than life, Like the trunk of a Lincoln Towncar, a vast, bottomless pit.

-Purchased two Noctua NF-12 fans that I may swap out on the CPU cooler (if they are loud) or just use as case fans (Case has provisions for 2 120mm fans.

=Purchased computer hardware kit (standoffs, screws, bolts, etc)

=Purchased Carbon Fiber sleeve kit for wire management in the case

-Purchased 5.25" Card Reader, USB 3.0, includes fan controller with RPM and temps and LCD for fine tuning fan settings and monitoring system temps. (I will obviously use core-temp from windows as well)

I wont be back home until next week, so the build will commence at that point. Like I said, I'm still going for the 5.0Ghz goal.

I will keep you guys updated as to my progress.