• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it better for zero RPM PSUs to place the fan on top?

1. Bill's not wrong
2. His facts are accurate
3. You asked a question based on incorrect information. Bill simply answered your query with correct information. Not sure why you are reacting in the way you are reacting.
I'm sorry he answered it?
I must have missed it.
In my defense he does write a lot.
It's totally fine if you agree with him. He might be right.
But can you tell me where I am wrong?

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
So I've heard that if the PSU has a zero RPM mode then it's better to place the fan on top for better heat dissipation.
It depends on your exact PSU and setup in terms of "better". It's not a rule to live by but any properly designed PSU will kick in its active cooling prior to over heating which would be a far larger red flag than orientation.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Depends on the case. If there are perforations on the compartment top wall, then the fan will push the air towards the graphics card.*
*If not pull hot air from the area under the graphics card in downwards direction...
All PSUs pull air into themselves these days, as far as I know. Other than that, your point is the same as mine: it entirely depends on your case.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
In theory it would mean psu fan has to run less But as other said it would let the little bit of heat psu makes in to the case. Given likely you already hear case fans from pc i doubt the psu fan will ever be heard in the times it does get use .

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
But can you tell me where I am wrong?
you started this thread.

Who in their educated technically adept right mind would add a fan on top of a zero rpm psu to cool it when the built in psu fan works just fine?

you started this thread.

Who in their educated technically adept right mind would add a fan on top of a zero rpm psu to cool it when the built in psu fan works just fine?
That's what you understood? Lol
The question is to put the PSU fan on top or not, not to add an extra fan.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
While the original inquiry could have been worded better, it's important to stress that not everyone here is a native English speaker.
So I've heard that if the PSU has a zero RPM mode then it's better to place the fan on top for better heat dissipation.
What do you think about that?
I suggest you Read The Fine Manual for your specific PSU and consider the manufacturer's advice.

For example, here is a page from the owner's manual for a Seasonic GX-650:

seasonic-snap.jpg

As you can see the manufacturer suggests pointing the fan vent upward in a standard PC case when Hybrid Mode or fanless mode is used. There are other scenarios that call for specific orientation. Seasonic is careful to suggest reading the owner's manual for the case as well.

A lot of modern PC cases feature a PSU shroud these days. Many have ventilation holes in the shroud to promote air circulation but not all of them do. If a case has a PSU shroud without ventilation holes, you may be better off pointing the PSU fan vent downward (standard orientation) even if you go fanless or hybrid.

Naturally the page posted here is specific for one model of one manufacturer's product lineup and may not be relevant to you if you do not own this component.

Best of luck.

(Disclaimer: I do not use Hybrid Mode with this PSU so it is installed in the normal orientation: PSU fan vent down.)

While the original inquiry could have been worded better, it's important to stress that not everyone here is a native English speaker.

I suggest you Read The Fine Manual for your specific PSU and consider the manufacturer's advice.

For example, here is a page from the owner's manual for a Seasonic GX-650:

View attachment 345671
As you can see the manufacturer suggests pointing the fan vent upward in a standard PC case when Hybrid Mode or fanless mode is used. There are other scenarios that call for specific orientation. Seasonic is careful to suggest reading the owner's manual for the case as well.

A lot of modern PC cases feature a PSU shroud these days. Many have ventilation holes in the shroud to promote air circulation but not all of them do. If a case has a PSU shroud without ventilation holes, you may be better off pointing the PSU fan vent downward (standard orientation) even if you go fanless or hybrid.

Naturally the page posted here is specific for one model of one manufacturer's product lineup and may not be relevant to you if you do not own this component.

Best of luck.

(Disclaimer: I do not use Hybrid Mode with this PSU so it is installed in the normal orientation: PSU fan vent down.)
"Follow the directions in your chassis manual and install the power supply with the screws provided."
That's all Corsair has to say in it's PSU manual :p

"Follow the directions in your chassis manual and install the power supply with the screws provided."
That's all Corsair has to say in it's PSU manual :p

You originally asked for our general opinions, but honestly they're not much useful to solve your concerns about chosen PSU, because it exactly depends on model. If manual doesn't recommend anything, it suggests that given PSU doesn't mind. It's simply matter of orientation being likely or not to activate over temperature protection or fan going crazy. Some may only assume that placing all with fan on top is healthier, but it's theoretical. It's always best to ask manufacturer. This time I haven't bothered due to Shift suggesting mounting it with fan on the bottom by placement of connectors and Corsair even shows it in it's marketing. If there's in fact the only one correct way, that's it, but chances are it won't mind upside down, so try it or ask Corsair first ;)

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
not everyone here is a native English speaker
That has no bearing on what was said. I'm no mind reader in any language.