• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is the 7990 worth the problems?

treeroy

I'm building a new PC in a few weeks time and am trying to decide which graphics card to get. Initially I was going to get an R9 280X, but I've now realised that my budget can stretch to accommodate a 7990.

Obviously the 7990 is the most powerful card out there, and where I'm buying it, it's the same price as a 780 and cheaper than an R9 290X. I'm tempted to buy it but there are a few issues:

I've heard this card in particular has coil whine problems. Realistically is it likely that I will have very loud coil noise? And if I do, is it possible to RMA the card? I wear noise-cancelling headphones and my fans may well drown out a lot of the noise as well, so I don't know if this will be a huge problem anyway, but it would be nice to know.

Is microstutter still a problem? I do expect to play a few DX9 games (like, I haven't yet played The Witcher 2) so there will be times where the frame metering fix does not work. Is it actually noticeable when the card drops frames like that? I'm only running a 60Hz monitor so anything above 60 should be fine.

And there are several games which don't support Crossfire particularly well. I figure that the games that don't support Crossfire are probably not too demanding anyway and can probably be maxed with just one of the GPUs going - but I hear there are problems in some big games like World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2. I do play those games a fair bit so if they won't run properly then that is quite a consideration. Though some places say it's fine, some say not so much. I don't know.

But at the same time, the sheer power that it gives, allowing you to max games that almost no other GPU can, is very tempting. It's done very well with Battlefield 4, and I'm seriously excited for Dragon Age: Inquisition and the new Battlefront, which are also Frostbite, so I assume this will work fantastically with those too.

I play a lot of games, so ultimately this is quite a hard decision. Is it worth getting one of these things?

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
i say go for the R9 290X if you can. always a good idea to stay ahead in terms of architecture.

its all about the resolution you want to be gaming at.
for eg, at 1600*900 a lot of cheaper cards can max our BF4. :)

treeroy

i say go for the R9 290X if you can. always a good idea to stay ahead in terms of architecture.

its all about the resolution you want to be gaming at.
for eg, at 1600*900 a lot of cheaper cards can max our BF4. :)
The R9 290X is much more expensive than the 7990 though :/ by £150.

To be honest I'm more looking at GTX 780 vs 7990.

I'm really asking if the issues with the 7990 are actually that bad, since the performance is through the roof.

edit: I am just using one 1080p 60Hz monitor. (However, I am looking to get a top notch monitor next year at some point, or maybe two)