• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ivy Bridge LAPTOP -- Socket G2 / Socket rPGA988B upgrade (swap) ? ? ?

System Name MiGHTY_MOUSE.final.02
Processor 11900
Motherboard z590i-UNIFY
Cooling Thermalright SS135 Black
Memory G-Skill Trident 32GB
Video Card(s) 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Storage 980 PRO 2TB / 870 QVO 4TB / Exos 8TB
Display(s) UltraGear 32GP750-B
Case Phantom Powerboard v5.1
Audio Device(s) M-Audio EX-66
Power Supply SuperNOVA 1000 G6
Mouse X20
Keyboard Z15
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/spy/41592414
Hello;
I'm the original owner of this laptop and recently found it tucked away in storage...
https://www.newegg.com/black-samsung-series-7-np700g7c-s01us/p/N82E16834131270?Item=N82E16834131270

All's well with it, but my urge to tweak kicked in upon finding it. I swapped out the HDDs with a some SSDs. Now I'm curious if the CPU/GPU could be swapped? I have never swapped out a laptop CPU/GPU before so I'm seek any guidance in relation to whether or not this Socket/Board could accept say an i7 3940XM EE? I realize that most chips are in fact soldered into the boards. I've scoured the www to no avail on this particular board/product, (but it is Samsung circa 2012). How would I be able to find that out? and if so, IS re-soldering the swap even an option?

Thank you muchly in advance to any light ;)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Your link returns as an unfound item.
Edit: If it's a second Gen CPU (Sandy Bridge) you can usually only upgrade to another of the same Generation, but if it's a 3rd Gen CPU (Ivy Bridge) they are backward compatible with 2nd Gen.
Use this as a guide:
Be aware that stuffing a CPU with a much higher thermal envelope in there may cause throttling as they are designed for a certain capacity.

Last edited:
Yep this board does appear to be socketed, so it should take the 3940XM. Some systems can get picky about chips but as you said there's little info on this model. Some digging around I found a mention that some vendor somewhere offered the Series 7 with a 3920XM in-store upgrade upon order? I guess that's not exactly concrete evidence, but it's something.

Samsung opted to create their own GPU form factor using the MXM3.0 slot for this model, so you can slot a newer card in but it's not clear if it'll allow reassembly or even that it'll POST. There was a thread on another site years ago about trying to upgrade the GPU in these laptops and finding that there was no VBIOS support for them.

In the future: the easiest way to determine if a laptop has a soldered CPU/GPU or socketed is to search for a replacement motherboard. Sellers will usually have images of the bare board in question in the listing, giving you a perfect view of what's on it.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Another possibility is to do some looking on the NotebookReview forums:

Possibly also check their main site to see if they ever did a review of that specific laptop.

http://www.notebookreview.com/

I have an ole Gateway 7800FX that I found a lot of information on their site when it came to upgrading and what would and would not work.

Welcome to TPU by the way. :toast: :toast: :toast:

Keep us updated man.

Processor 11900
Motherboard z590i-UNIFY
Mouse X20
Keyboard Z15
Your link returns as an unfound item.
Edit: If it's a second Gen CPU (Sandy Bridge) you can usually only upgrade to another of the same Generation, but if it's a 3rd Gen CPU (Ivy Bridge) they are backward compatible with 2nd Gen.
Use this as a guide:
Be aware that stuffing a CPU with a much higher thermal envelope in there may cause throttling as they are designed for a certain capacity.
okay yeah, my link is from my NewEgg history circa 2012 so my bad for that / But yes i noticed the 10w bump power consumption between the cpus

Yep this board does appear to be socketed, so it should take the 3940XM. Some systems can get picky about chips but as you said there's little info on this model. Some digging around I found a mention that some vendor somewhere offered the Series 7 with a 3920XM in-store upgrade upon order? I guess that's not exactly concrete evidence, but it's something.

Samsung opted to create their own GPU form factor using the MXM3.0 slot for this model, so you can slot a newer card in but it's not clear if it'll allow reassembly or even that it'll POST. There was a thread on another site years ago about trying to upgrade the GPU in these laptops and finding that there was no VBIOS support for them.

In the future: the easiest way to determine if a laptop has a soldered CPU/GPU or socketed is to search for a replacement motherboard. Sellers will usually have images of the bare board in question in the listing, giving you a perfect view of what's on it.
right on! TY so much for that leg work on my behalf \♥/ gonna move forward in some further inquiry for board specs as you stated then in hunting down a *decent* deal for a 3940m and see what gives.

Another possibility is to do some looking on the NotebookReview forums:

Possibly also check their main site to see if they ever did a review of that specific laptop.

http://www.notebookreview.com/

I have an ole Gateway 7800FX that I found a lot of information on their site when it came to upgrading and what would and would not work.

Welcome to TPU by the way. :toast: :toast: :toast:

Keep us updated man.
great! TY Sir for the link & whalecome, doing now! :toast::lovetpu:

SupaSlamm

I’ve yet to own a Samsung outside of their nice HDTVs, but i have a few now affordable 2010-14 era laptops .. Intel numbers generations from 2006, for the first technical dual core CPU, so after a four year period, you wind up with Series 5, Series 6 is Sandybridge, and soon to Broadwell in 2015, then a seachange occurs; Skylake prior to Kabylake, Coffeelake, Whiskey lake, Icelake and the like.
What i found is themals obviously true, latest BIOS revision always recommended, and dual versus four core applique only if heat build is within spec. an i7 dual core versus 4 will work on some laptops, the earliest issued Ivybridge may work in a 2011 into 2012 vintage notebook. but the second chipset number is most telling 6x, 7x, 8x where x represents a second class number, higher to 7 usually, that means a more capable chipset for the year, always think back to the year of availability when in doubt!

Processor 11900
Motherboard z590i-UNIFY
Mouse X20
Keyboard Z15
After a good while searching online (mostly EBay) for any upgrades, my options for GPU 'seem' slim to none; as the board has a unique cut-out for the MXM card. Most options within 100W range are rectangle. Does the shape limit my options as it seems to me?

CPU: there ARE upgrade options toward the 3940XM. However, they all seem to be residing behind the iron curtain of Hammer & Sickle. Never ordered anything from over yonder & ain't got much inclination to do so.

? ? ? :rolleyes:

01.jpg
02.jpg
04.jpg

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
My advice is don't... You won't get a useful performance uplift from the CPU, the 10w doesn't make a big difference and the cooling will be a limiting factor... That's assuming the laptop even lets you go to 55w.

As far as GPUs go, it's even worse, because the BIOS of the laptop needs to support the vBIOS of the GPU. They are in effect vendor locked because the laptop BIOSes are normally not programmed to accept GPUs aside from the ones that the manufacturer will install themselves.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Even if it works - not worth it. That EE cpu will likely throttle like hell, which will make it slower and less reliable than your current CPU, regardless of clocks.
Plus, samsung and sony used to BIOS-lock some CPUs, which had very bad side-effects. A CPU would boot just fine, but if it's not whitelisted - your laptop will shut down after 10min. or so.
Had this thing on NP5-series and on some VAIO laptops that share the exact same platform.

Processor 11900
Motherboard z590i-UNIFY
Mouse X20
Keyboard Z15
My advice is don't... You won't get a useful performance uplift from the CPU, the 10w doesn't make a big difference and the cooling will be a limiting factor... That's assuming the laptop even lets you go to 55w.

As far as GPUs go, it's even worse, because the BIOS of the laptop needs to support the vBIOS of the GPU. They are in effect vendor locked because the laptop BIOSes are normally not programmed to accept GPUs aside from the ones that the manufacturer will install themselves.

Even if it works - not worth it. That EE cpu will likely throttle like hell, which will make it slower and less reliable than your current CPU, regardless of clocks.
Plus, samsung and sony used to BIOS-lock some CPUs, which had very bad side-effects. A CPU would boot just fine, but if it's not whitelisted - your laptop will shut down after 10min. or so.
Had this thing on NP5-series and on some VAIO laptops that share the exact same platform.

whoah o_O
at least it was a good experience for me none the less to take it apart & re-paste it. Much thank to you all !