• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

jonnyguru down?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
so it's basically become an archive site unless they can find someone good to replace OklahomaWolf.
It is not just about finding someone who knows electronics in general and PSUs in particular. One must have access to the necessary test equipment (scope, PS analyzer, quality volt and dB meters, hot-box, etc), plus the know-how to set-up and use that equipment, and know how to interpret the results. Then they must be able to write up the analysis/report without a bunch of misspellings, grammar errors and of course, without any technical inaccuracies. If the report is full of errors, it will not look professional and it will not be taken seriously.

I used to do a bunch of technical writing. It is always important to "know your audience". But it can be a real challenge to write technical papers when your audience goes from the total newby all the way up to highly educated, highly trained, highly experienced professionals. You don't want to write over the heads of the newbies, but sound totally condescending to the pros (that said, pros need to be aware the writing is not just for them - many seem to forget that! :().

Lastly, and this is often the most challenging, the testing and analysis must be free of personal biases. For example, should a PSU be down-rated because it includes a BERG connector for internal floppy drives? Should a PSU be down-rated because it is hard-wired even though it is not marketed as modular?

In other words, the qualifications and job requirements are pretty stiff.

Sadly, I have seen many reviews that are little more than a re-listing of the manufacturer's published specs. They don't test under a variety of loads, they don't test for ripple, or hold-up times or under rated ambient conditions and more.

I guess this is why it is important to read as many reviews as you can find, and not depend on just one.

Side gripe 1 - One complaint I have with just about all review sites is they never come back in a couple years to retest the products to see how they have held up after a couple years use.

Side gripe 2 - It would be good if the reviewer could buy the products "off-the-shelf" from Amazon, Best Buy or Newegg just like normal consumers do. But often the test units are provided directly by the maker. These are not supposed to be "cherry-picked" units, or units that have been "tweaked" to shine in specific tests. But there's no way the reviewer can tell. Buying off the shelf eliminates even the appearance of impropriety. But of course, buying test units takes money. And I personally will not pay a site to read their reviews. Oh well.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It is not just about finding someone who knows electronics in general and PSUs in particular. One must have access to the necessary test equipment (scope, PS analyzer, quality volt and dB meters, hot-box, etc), plus the know-how to set-up and use that equipment, and know how to interpret the results. Then they must be able to write up the analysis/report without a bunch of misspellings, grammar errors and of course, without any technical inaccuracies. If the report is full of errors, it will not look professional and it will not be taken seriously.

I used to do a bunch of technical writing. It is always important to "know your audience". But it can be a real challenge to write technical papers when your audience goes from the total newby all the way up to highly educated, highly trained, highly experienced professionals. You don't want to write over the heads of the newbies, but sound totally condescending to the pros (that said, pros need to be aware the writing is not just for them - many seem to forget that! :().

Lastly, and this is often the most challenging, the testing and analysis must be free of personal biases. For example, should a PSU be down-rated because it includes a BERG connector for internal floppy drives? Should a PSU be down-rated because it is hard-wired even though it is not marketed as modular?

In other words, the qualifications and job requirements are pretty stiff.

Sadly, I have seen many reviews that are little more than a re-listing of the manufacturer's published specs. They don't test under a variety of loads, they don't test for ripple, or hold-up times or under rated ambient conditions and more.

I guess this is why it is important to read as many reviews as you can find, and not depend on just one.

Side gripe 1 - One complaint I have with just about all review sites is they never come back in a couple years to retest the products to see how they have held up after a couple years use.

Side gripe 2 - It would be good if the reviewer could buy the products "off-the-shelf" from Amazon, Best Buy or Newegg just like normal consumers do. But often the test units are provided directly by the maker. These are not supposed to be "cherry-picked" units, or units that have been "tweaked" to shine in specific tests. But there's no way the reviewer can tell. Buying off the shelf eliminates even the appearance of impropriety. But of course, buying test units takes money. And I personally will not pay a site to read their reviews. Oh well.

They are production models typically.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours

Gripe 1 - It's a money thing as review sites run by a small staff sell their hardware to make ends meet or raffle them off to help increase traffic. In some of his reviews (and forum posts) OklahomaWolf mentioned previous PSU he still used including a corsair CX600 that he used in one of mining rigs that was still going strong after several years with only needing a fan replacement.

Gripe 2 - Some brands like Seasonic send review samples directly from amazon/newegg. Some site like HardOCP buy the products themsleves but over all it becomes a money issue.

I'm sure there are a few that OklahomaWolf finished before retiring still waiting to be released, but what happens after that? Does the site have someone else lined up to do PSU reviews?

Actually, all of the reviews Jeremy wrote have already been posted. Tazz has the equipment and a stock pile of review units to start cranking out reviews. But first he has to get the server migration and move to Wordpress done.

The old site used php-Nuke, which is dated. Wordpress is current so it's easier to keep the back end up to date. So part of the server migration includes a Wordpress migration.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
They are production models typically.
That's what the manufacturers claim. And they may be. But if it comes directly from the maker, can anyone be sure? Manufacturers rigging review samples to taint test results is not unheard of.
Gripe 1 - It's a money thing
Of course. But it is also a logistics thing - how does a review site put into real-world use and then track that usage over an extended period of time? It would be a difficult and expensive challenge. I wasn't blaming anyone - just pointing out consumers learning how a product may hold up over the "expected" life of the product is almost impossible.

Some retailers track RMAs but most don't categorize by reason. It could have been the wrong size or color.

Processor core e-8400
Motherboard asus p45
Memory hynix 2 gb
Video Card(s) gt 9800
Storage samsung 1tb
Display(s) benq
Case Sharkoon VG4-V
Power Supply thermaltake 430w
Mouse a4 tech n708
Keyboard a4 tech
Software windows 8.1
Hello, what happens with jonnyGuru's site?
Where have the reviews gone for such a long period?
I can open the random review using the Internet cache, but on the site I see "Oops! That page can not be found."
https://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=489
https://web.archive.org/web/2017090.../modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=489
2019-03-05_070259.png2019-03-04_204438.png2019-03-04_204457.png

Some retailers track RMAs but most don't categorize by reason. It could have been the wrong size or color.

I so miss the behardware site's RMA data ... despite 3 years of HS French, I haven't retained enough of a language understanding to ask why they stopped publishing this. Was no worry about your size / color concerns with their data as only RMAs for products returned after 6 to 12 months of usage were reported. In addition the statistics by brand req'd a minimum sample of 500 pieces sold, those by models on a minimum sample of 100 pieces sold.,,, and when the sample is smaller than 200 pieces, the designation is in italics.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Hello, what happens with jonnyGuru's site?
Where have the reviews gone for such a long period?
I can open the random review using the Internet cache, but on the site I see "Oops! That page can not be found."
https://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=489
https://web.archive.org/web/2017090.../modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=489
View attachment 117904View attachment 117907View attachment 117908

Still getting kinks out, report it on Facebook

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
still a lot of reviews missing

still a lot of reviews missing
It's been 3 months since I've written in this thread that this situation is totally unprofessional and was mocked by the likes of you.
And here we are. 2019. Website content vanishing during "DNS transition".
So what do you think now?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So what do you think now?
I think that opinion now is just as naive as when mentioned in post #19. None of us have a clue about any of the circumstances involving the site, their host, the admins and owners or their personal lives. We know that some have retired from the site, others have changed roles. All have outside lives, most likely other jobs, and perhaps families.

Are you a paying subscriber on a service contract? Have you not received what you paid for? Did JG make a promise to you then break it? Or are you someone "entitled", sticking your hand out for more, more and more even though what you got was already free? :(

Reminds me of the kid who threw a tantrum because he was given, for free, a blue bike but wanted a red one.

Would it have been nice to get daily updates? Sure. But besides that taking someone's time, likely volunteer time to do so, we are not entitled to that either.

Me? I'm just grateful to see it come back alive and hope them well.

Edit comment: fixed typos.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@Oklahoma Wolf Can you try to review the Corsair AX850 850 watt titanium soon? I just bought this, its a new PSU that just released from Corsair, I want to know I made a good buy at $199. Was going to roll Seasonic, but i know Corsair is doing some amazing things on PSU front last couple years so I thought I'd try...

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
The site has been down for almost two weeks, hopefully everything is ok with Taz but sucks to lose a great community of knowledge.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The site has been down for almost two weeks, hopefully everything is ok with Taz but sucks to lose a great community of knowledge.

I used to read PSU reviews all the time, I found it all fascinating. I haven't looked at it almost a year or more, since my setup is complete I sort of lost interest. That does make me sad though, I loved that site, hope everything is alright.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I used to read PSU reviews all the time, I found it all fascinating. I haven't looked at it almost a year or more, since my setup is complete I sort of lost interest. That does make me sad though, I loved that site, hope everything is alright.

They barely did reviews since OklahomaWolf stopped doing them. Last review was in like 2019. I don't expect the site to come back honestly. There were some decent discussions occasionally, but on the whole it was a dying site.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I only went there a few times after Oklahomawolf stopped doing reviews and they moved the site to the new design. They never got all the old content back up as far as I could tell. Most of the old reviews were gone and no good new content was ever added.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
They barely did reviews since OklahomaWolf stopped doing them. Last review was in like 2019. I don't expect the site to come back honestly. There were some decent discussions occasionally, but on the whole it was a dying site.

Super niche website so it was to be expected. At least TPU has a reviewer who does hot testing, etc and good reviews of PSU's. I just read one last week on TPU.

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Johnny Gerow has been gone from the site for some time, and now works for Corsair.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Johnny Gerow has been gone from the site for some time, and now works for Corsair.

ye, we are aware of that.

also here is a link to TPU review of PSU's... @crmaris keep up the good work!!! review my EVGA GD 700w Gold someday!!! this PSU here

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
It sucks, every PSU that is available to me right now has a review on that site, while other guys don't have certain PSU's listed for review.

Its a real shame.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It sucks, every PSU that is available to me right now has a review on that site, while other guys don't have certain PSU's listed for review.

Its a real shame.

part of that is due to covid, I know @crmaris mentioned before having trouble getting hands on review samples. hopefully that picks up in the coming years, I enjoy reading about detailed PSU reviews. not sure why, just weird I guess LOL

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
part of that is due to covid, I know @crmaris mentioned before having trouble getting hands on review samples. hopefully that picks up in the coming years, I enjoy reading about detailed PSU reviews. not sure why, just weird I guess LOL
Its not weird buddy.. Its pretty cool stuff to be honest :D

Its been a week since I started and I still cant make up my mind :rolleyes:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
I only went there a few times after Oklahomawolf stopped doing reviews and they moved the site to the new design. They never got all the old content back up as far as I could tell. Most of the old reviews were gone and no good new content was ever added.
I'd just browse the site in wayback machine at this point.