• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Memory Quandary

My System
Windows 11 pro 64bit
AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Board - Still Looking
Memory - to be determined

Once and for all I would like to understand the advantage of using 16, 32, 64, or 128GB of memory. M workload is a fair amount of rendering video clips and photos. I work with Excel, OneNote, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Camtasia, and SnagIt for the most part.

In the past, I thought 128 would give me a decent Raid which would result in faster drive access. Not sure about that. Now it seems the larger memory is only used when the program is developed to use it. I believe I have heard that Adobe Premiere will use this memory.

So I would like to know if the system uses larger memory blocks or if programs have to be designed for this purpose. I guess basically I want to know what's the advantage of 128 over 64. Or for that matter 32 GB.

One last matter if I decided to use G.Skill F4-2666C18Q-128GTZR 4x32gb, only 2 six sticks and later added two more of the same is that possible. I always hear that's not the best idea. Would the system be friendly with using only 2 sticks of the 4x32GGB?
Bob