• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI RX 580 gaming X 8gb bricked

Dhiraj

This would be long as I will tell every minute details of how I messed up things, so that some expert in the forum can help me out. I made 2 attempts as of now to flash back to the original rom (I did backup) as follows:

1. I did a Bios flash through ATIwinFLash, flashing got stuck in the middle! I restarted the PC after 1 hour and then there was no display. I connected the display cable through VGA adapter of the motherboard and formatted the PC and installed the drivers of motherboard (being a newbie, I though that formatting the PC solves every problem). This did not work, the fans were running, lights all up, windows detects the card as a STANDARD VGA ADAPTER . I ran ATIwinFlash, " Error in reading from ROM".

2. After going through so many forums, I saw the 1 to 8 solder jumping and thought to give that a try as last option. I created a bootable USB drive with the original .rom file and ATIFLASH 4.17 because the latest 2.74 says this program cannot be run in DOS. I did the solder jumping, cut the wire into halves and reconnected them (I was not sure I would be able to cut the wire in running status as the GPU and all my parts were kept open). I went to the motherboard bios and changed the primary graphics card from Auto to Onboard (VGA cable connect to motherboard). Booted into the atiflash file, typed "atiflash -ai" and "atiflash -i" it says "no adapter found" (fans lights still running). Restarted the PC it still shows as a standard VGA adapter, tried going to device manager and updating the drivers, it says updated, still shows standard VGA adapter.

Where did I go wrong with this? I saw a person posting in this forum that it worked for him with the same model. Please help!

I would try the method described in the other thread you posted in. Once you get the opening command prompt as administrator thing figured out you should be able to figure out the rest of it pretty easily. I don't know which version of Windows you are running or how you have it setup. So I can't tell you exactly which way to open command prompt as administrator would be easiest. For Windows 10 you can left click Start(the Windows icon at the bottom left corner of the screen), then scroll down to the Windows System folder. Left click on the Windows System folder to open it, then right click on Command Prompt. Then point to More >, then left click on Run as administrator. If you aren't using Windows 10 then just google "command prompt as administrator windows <insert windows version here>".

Once you've got that figured out you can move on to the rest of the procedure not explained in the other thread. Namely how to run atiwinflash through command prompt. Below is a link to an excellent tutorial on how to do that.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards

I would do exactly as the other guy did with his RX 580. With the wire connected do atiflash -i . Expect it to say fail or failed. Then disconnect the wire and do atiflash -i again. I'm not sure what it will say then, but I would assume that anything other than fail or failed is a sign that it worked. Anyway, doing the second atiflash -i with the wire disconnected isn't even a necessary step. You could just disconnect the wire and proceed to the BIOS flash step after seeing fail or failed. Which is atiflash -f -p 0 <insert the name of the BIOS ROM here>.rom. Be sure to use spaces between atiflash and -f, -f and -p, -p and 0, and 0 and the BIOS ROM name. Also remember that the BIOS ROM file you want to flash must be in the atiflash folder for it to be able to find it.

That should be enough info to get you somewhere. Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: I've got a question for you now. What does it say on the chip that you soldered the wires to. I'm very curious. I want to see if I can find a datasheet for it and verify what the actual pin numbers are and what pins do what. I'm not understanding how it's working for the other guys since it looks to me like they used pins 1 and 5. Which evidently doesn't matter. I just want to know why it doesn't. And see if using the real 8 pin should work too.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Contact msi for the correct bios and tools.

Have your exact model number and stock keeping unit off the white stickers ready for them.

Read my signature and never do this again

@Law-II

Dhiraj

I
I would try the method described in the other thread you posted in. Once you get the opening command prompt as administrator thing figured out you should be able to figure out the rest of it pretty easily. I don't know which version of Windows you are running or how you have it setup. So I can't tell you exactly which way to open command prompt as administrator would be easiest. For Windows 10 you can left click Start(the Windows icon at the bottom left corner of the screen), then scroll down to the Windows System folder. Left click on the Windows System folder to open it, then right click on Command Prompt. Then point to More >, then left click on Run as administrator. If you aren't using Windows 10 then just google "command prompt as administrator windows <insert windows version here>".

Once you've got that figured out you can move on to the rest of the procedure not explained in the other thread. Namely how to run atiwinflash through command prompt. Below is a link to an excellent tutorial on how to do that.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards

I would do exactly as the other guy did with his RX 580. With the wire connected do atiflash -i . Expect it to say fail or failed. Then disconnect the wire and do atiflash -i again. I'm not sure what it will say then, but I would assume that anything other than fail or failed is a sign that it worked. Anyway, doing the second atiflash -i with the wire disconnected isn't even a necessary step. You could just disconnect the wire and proceed to the BIOS flash step after seeing fail or failed. Which is atiflash -f -p 0 <insert the name of the BIOS ROM here>.rom. Be sure to use spaces between atiflash and -f, -f and -p, -p and 0, and 0 and the BIOS ROM name. Also remember that the BIOS ROM file you want to flash must be in the atiflash folder for it to be able to find it.

That should be enough info to get you somewhere. Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: I've got a question for you now. What does it say on the chip that you soldered the wires to. I'm very curious. I want to see if I can find a datasheet for it and verify what the actual pin numbers are and what pins do what. I'm not understanding how it's working for the other guys since it looks to me like they used pins 1 and 5. Which evidently doesn't matter. I just want to know why it doesn't. And see if using the real 8 pin should work too.
I am using windows 7 64 bit, motherboard is Asus 110m, I have soldered pin exactly as the guy in the other post did (1 to 8). After solder pinning I booted the usb which contained atiflash v4.17 and the original rom. It says no adapter found. It normally runs window through the motherboard VGA cable attached, showing the GPU as a standard VGA adapter(fans and lights up)

Dhiraj

Contact msi for the correct bios and tools.

Have your exact model number and stock keeping unit off the white stickers ready for them.

Read my signature and never do this again

@Law-II
I don't think that would work, as I have submitted the product to the service center, MSI even does not give the authority to its service centers to bios flash the product, in my case it was Regenersis pvt ltd(a 3rd party service center in india). I received a call from the indian product head of MSI saying that they do not allow this to the service centers and that they are not provide with the tools for bios flashing a product.

Quit messing around with v4.17. Boot to windows 7 and use atiwinflash v2.74. If you have any questions on how just ask.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
1. For what card were the BIOS were you trying to flash?
2. Did you back up the original BIOS? If this is you card download and use these.
3. Repeat what you were doing in item 2 except use atiflash 2.74 and attempt from within windows using and elevated command prompt (find cmd.exe in start menu and run as administrator).
- use the -ia command to see if the card is recognized, if it is break the jumper you used to short pins 1 and 8 on the bios and then flash the correct bios chip then use the -f -p # bios.rom command to flash

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
flash the card in pure dos environment :
convert one of drives on hdd to fat32 format with partition tool or built in command
download then copy atiflash or flashrom utility files to that drive
use win98 cd installer or 3rd party tool to enter dos environment
in command prompt type : atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.rom or flashrom -f -p 0 xxx.rom
xxx : name of firmware card file
if still doesnt work change 0 to 1/2/3

your suggestion has him killing his onboard, way to go. 0 is the active main adapter in his case the igpu, the bricked car is going to be 1. Hence the -ia command instead of flashing blindy

Last edited: