• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[NEED HELP] Could it be my graphics card???

System Name Operation Scylla
Processor Intel Core i5-4690K
Motherboard MSi Z97S SLI Krait Edition
Cooling ID Cooling Frostflow 120L-W
Memory 4x4GB Avexir Core 1600MHz CL11 White
Video Card(s) Inno3d GTX 770 Herculez X3
Storage Plextor M6S 128GB, Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB
Display(s) Asus VC239H
Case Modded Silverstone Raven 05
Audio Device(s) Onboard 5.1
Power Supply Silverstone Strider S Series ST75F-GS 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Motospeed CK104 Inflictor RGB Outemu Blue
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
I was playing Mad Max last week using the 361.91 drivers when it crashed onto my desktop. I don't exactly remember what the error was but it could be the Kernel thingy (again, not sure about this). Since then, my Aero theme stopped working. At first I thought it was the drivers so I tried to rollback into older ones, using DDU first before reinstalling them using custom install and installing everything except 3D drivers and Nvidia experience, since I don't have internet connection.

I went as far as version 347, which was guaranteed to fix the error when my service pack wasn't installed yet but it didn't fix the problem. I tried different fixes from google and nothing fixed the problem. I'm using the default Aero theme with a custom wallpaper but the transparency of the taskbar isn't there anymore. WEI is updated with a total of 7.3 from processor. Graphics are 7.9. When I right click on my desktop and select personalize, when I click on Window Color and appearance, I get options to change it as if it's showing options from windows classic themes. I tried to use CCleaner to fix my registry, didn't help. Desktop windows manager service is started and 'automatic' too.

So I loaded back the drivers to 361.91 since nothing is fixing the problem. When I play the same games that I do, there's now an excessive amount of screen tearing. They used to run smoothly. Same thing when I watch movies or any kind of media, videos that play fine on my phone tear on my pc. I have V-Sync and triple buffering on. I thought it was the old codecs that I had, so I downloaded VLC and MPCHC players yesterday but the problem persists.

I though it was my Hard drive or that I'm displaying a faulty content, my HDTune showed a (BE) Airflow Temperature exceeding the Threshold but when I googled it, it didn't seem to affect anything. Plus, I ran a check and it passed the test without any bad sectors.

I'm out of ideas. I run Unigine Heaven benchmark every once in a while and get no errors and crashes from it but I haven't run it since the problems occurred. I never had it benched as the thought of the graphics card being faulty never crossed my mind, mainly because it always ran below 80C at stock speeds and was never OCed, and the fan speeds never reached 100% too.

I've cleaned it before by removing the shroud and fans (heatsink intact) but this time, I'll try to open it up and change the thermal paste with NT-H1 for the first time even though I'm not convinced that it's causing the problem. I'm also planning on switching to Windows 10 to see if it fixes the issue but I don't want to go through that hassle because I might have to reinstall all of my games afterwards just because of a hunch and to find a possible fix.

The post is long, yeah, but I just want to have an answer instead of people asking for some specifics so I'm laying everything out. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Display(s) Asus VC239H
Mouse Logitech G402
System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I was playing Mad Max last week using the 361.91 drivers when it crashed onto my desktop. I don't exactly remember what the error was but it could be the Kernel thingy (again, not sure about this). Since then, my Aero theme stopped working. At first I thought it was the drivers so I tried to rollback into older ones, using DDU first before reinstalling them using custom install and installing everything except 3D drivers and Nvidia experience, since I don't have internet connection.

I went as far as version 347, which was guaranteed to fix the error when my service pack wasn't installed yet but it didn't fix the problem. I tried different fixes from google and nothing fixed the problem. I'm using the default Aero theme with a custom wallpaper but the transparency of the taskbar isn't there anymore. WEI is updated with a total of 7.3 from processor. Graphics are 7.9. When I right click on my desktop and select personalize, when I click on Window Color and appearance, I get options to change it as if it's showing options from windows classic themes. I tried to use CCleaner to fix my registry, didn't help. Desktop windows manager service is started and 'automatic' too.

So I loaded back the drivers to 361.91 since nothing is fixing the problem. When I play the same games that I do, there's now an excessive amount of screen tearing. They used to run smoothly. Same thing when I watch movies or any kind of media, videos that play fine on my phone tear on my pc. I have V-Sync and triple buffering on. I thought it was the old codecs that I had, so I downloaded VLC and MPCHC players yesterday but the problem persists.

I though it was my Hard drive or that I'm displaying a faulty content, my HDTune showed a (BE) Airflow Temperature exceeding the Threshold but when I googled it, it didn't seem to affect anything. Plus, I ran a check and it passed the test without any bad sectors.

I'm out of ideas. I run Unigine Heaven benchmark every once in a while and get no errors and crashes from it but I haven't run it since the problems occurred. I never had it benched as the thought of the graphics card being faulty never crossed my mind, mainly because it always ran below 80C at stock speeds and was never OCed, and the fan speeds never reached 100% too.

I've cleaned it before by removing the shroud and fans (heatsink intact) but this time, I'll try to open it up and change the thermal paste with NT-H1 for the first time even though I'm not convinced that it's causing the problem. I'm also planning on switching to Windows 10 to see if it fixes the issue but I don't want to go through that hassle because I might have to reinstall all of my games afterwards just because of a hunch and to find a possible fix.

The post is long, yeah, but I just want to have an answer instead of people asking for some specifics so I'm laying everything out. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like your Windows install has gotten corrupted. I would run system restore and restore it to a date before any of this happened as at least a starting point.

Display(s) Asus VC239H
Mouse Logitech G402
Will doing system restore roll back my game saves too?

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Will doing system restore roll back my game saves too?
I don't believe so, you could backup your game save data to a flash drive just to be safe if you don't want to take the chance.

Display(s) Asus VC239H
Mouse Logitech G402
I'll do that. Thank you so much!

Display(s) Asus VC239H
Mouse Logitech G402
It's fixed now. I'll just post this here just in case someone will have the same problem in the future. Somehow, the latest drivers changed the settings and it took effect after the game crash. My display was turned into 16-bit from 32-bit. It was fixed once I was able to discover this by accident and change it back to 32. I'm so glad it wasn't my GPU, I just finished doing a mini-mod.