• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New laptop.... and questions!

Sistinas

Ok so I have been playing online games for about 7 years now and desktop is just too much of a hassle when trying to sneak the games in at work! So anyhow Ive been looking into the Alienware line of laptops and Im kinda concerned, I spoke with one of their overseas tech guys and he said that there is some overheating with the video card that is put in the Aurora m7700 series, well there are three types of cards listed for this particular laptop.

First there is the 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7800 GTX
Then there is the 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ult
And then 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 6800

Now my husbands desktop has the NVidia GeForce 6800 and he has been having some overheating issues while beta testing a new game... its just freakin out with the new graphics technology. Anyhow while Im asking questions the next is what type of processor is going to be best strictly for gaming?

They have the new AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-57 with HyperTransport Technology
and they also have AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Or the basic AMD Athlon™ 64 4000+ with HyperTransport Technology

My problem is that I am going to be spending some good money and I dont want a powerful machine that overheats, and Ive not ever had a laptop, hubby built the desktops that we have, and if it gets warm you just add more fans or something... thats always easy enough because you have a lot of space to work with.

Thanks,
Sistinas

Last edited:

D_o_S

Processor AMD Opteron 144
Motherboard DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR Expert
Cooling Watercooled - Alphacool Nexxxos XP, BIX2, Eheim HPPS
Memory 2x 512MB OCZ PC 3200EL Platinum Rev.2 (TCCD)
Video Card(s) 2x Gainward GeForce 6800 Ultra (430/1200)
Storage 4x WD Raptor 740GD in RAID 0
Display(s) Eizo FlexScan L768
Case CM Stacker
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Power Supply Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF
If you're after a gaming notebook, I'd reccomend the Dell XPS series.

Poisonsnak

Processor FX-8150
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme lapped & shimmed
Memory Patriot Viper Extreme 8GB DDR3-1866 9-11-9-27 1.65V
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr II @ 6970 875/1375
Storage Crucial M4 0309 64GB
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows [8] Developer Preview
Well if you buy it and it overheats you could either return it or underclock it a tad.

But the best combination for gaming would currently be the 7800GTX and FX-57.

I think the new 7800 series are cooler than the 6800s also. If money is no object I think the 7800 would be a no-brainer. But on the CPU side while the FX-57 is currently the best future games may be multi-threaded in which case the 4800+ would take the lead.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i cant see anyways they are gonna keep these things cool.. hard enough to do in a desktop nevermind a laptop.. hope if u put it on yer lap u have a nice strong lap with some thick thermal protective clothing.. he he he

my pentium m (21 watts) geforce go 6600 (22 watts) laptop burns my leg.. it does play fear at medium resolutions thow in a passable fashion.. he he.. scores 2400 in 3dmark 2005..

getting rid of nearly 200 watts in a laptop makes me cringe..

trog

Sistinas

I suppose the warmth wouldnt be so bad in the winter, but where Im at it doesnt even snow... so keeping anything cool is a challenge.

So Im wondering if I go with the 7800 and the duel core how its going to work out, I was hoping that perhaps someone had this.

And as for the Dell laptops, there is just no such thing under 4k either if you want a good gaming machine.

I have tried to find reviews of people who have bought the Aurora 7700 and have had no luck with that either... its a huge chance to take but what if it does overheat my lap, or what if Im unable to play a game for more than 10 minutes without the artifacts on my screen... bleah

Im going to still give it some more time before making a purchase I guess!

Thanks for the feedback so far

Ninjaplease

I have to ask...

This is not a post from a gamer. This is a post from either a store, a paid shill, an industry analyst, or a company selling products trying to get a free "market outlook." If I had to guess, it comes from a laptop mfg. that competes with Alienware.

Note that there are ZERO spelling errors.

When was the last time you saw ® or ™ used with a product name in a post by a regular user?

When was the last time someone wrote out a product name in its entirety?

Please go and pay Gartner or some other bull$hit "group" for your research.

Sistinas said:
Ok so I have been playing online games for about 7 years now and desktop is just too much of a hassle when trying to sneak the games in at work! So anyhow Ive been looking into the Alienware line of laptops and Im kinda concerned, I spoke with one of their overseas tech guys and he said that there is some overheating with the video card that is put in the Aurora m7700 series, well there are three types of cards listed for this particular laptop.

First there is the 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7800 GTX
Then there is the 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ult
And then 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 6800

Now my husbands desktop has the NVidia GeForce 6800 and he has been having some overheating issues while beta testing a new game... its just freakin out with the new graphics technology. Anyhow while Im asking questions the next is what type of processor is going to be best strictly for gaming?

They have the new AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-57 with HyperTransport Technology
and they also have AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Or the basic AMD Athlon™ 64 4000+ with HyperTransport Technology

My problem is that I am going to be spending some good money and I dont want a powerful machine that overheats, and Ive not ever had a laptop, hubby built the desktops that we have, and if it gets warm you just add more fans or something... thats always easy enough because you have a lot of space to work with.

Thanks,
Sistinas

Sistinas

Wow you are rude... I was just wanting opinions... I have never had a laptop, Ive always had desktops that were built by my husband. This is a totally new experience and 4 thousand dollars is not something that comes easy to me so I wanted to make a wise choice.

I do appologize if you feel that I have overstepped boundries, and have correct spelling, but I am not kid, or marketing BS anything... Im just a mother of 3 that plays video games!

Man... is that so hard to believe?

p.s. if you want the TM next to the product name... its called copy/paste!!!!

Poisonsnak

Processor FX-8150
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme lapped & shimmed
Memory Patriot Viper Extreme 8GB DDR3-1866 9-11-9-27 1.65V
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr II @ 6970 875/1375
Storage Crucial M4 0309 64GB
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows [8] Developer Preview
Ninjaplease said:
This is not a post from a gamer. This is a post from either a store, a paid shill, an industry analyst, or a company selling products trying to get a free "market outlook." If I had to guess, it comes from a laptop mfg. that competes with Alienware.

Note that there are ZERO spelling errors.

When was the last time you saw ® or ™ used with a product name in a post by a regular user?

When was the last time someone wrote out a product name in its entirety?

Please go and pay Gartner or some other bull$hit "group" for your research.

I don't agree, she basically asked "which is the fastest for gaming" and "which generates the least heat". These are both questions easily answered by benchmarks and fact sheets available from AMD, nVidia, and various sites like hexus. The answer is very cut and dried and everyone is going to tell you the same thing:

buy the FX-57 for gaming, and all of nVidia's cards are hot so you might as well pick up the 7800.

I just took the good english and full product names as someone who is not familiar with forums/instant messaging and someone who is not familiar with computer parts in general.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
i think we ought to stop calling such machines laptops.. they are simply desktop replacements that can be occasionally lugged from place to place.. and they will need connecting to a mains supply if any more than a 1/2 hour battery life is expected from em.. such machines are not true portables.. my pentium M geforce 6600 go machine.. a fraction of the wattage of some of the machines being talked about needs a mains supply for anything more than an hours gaming..

i was joking about putting one on your lap.. they are just too big.. too heavy and too hot for anything like that.. unless u desperately need the semi portable factor such machines should be avoided at all cost.. thats the way i see it..

trog

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
I thought the fx-57 was like $1,000 usd

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
it is.. and a so called laptop with one in and the 7800 card would cost a bloody fortune..

trog

Sistinas

My husband is trying to sway me into another option which would be to get a lightweight tower with a handle and a LCD monitor that is lightweight as well. I am using this pc for while I am at work to pass time, they offer tv and reading books and well im not that much of a tv watcher and I get too tired when I read books and I have to stay awake. They have a computer there but it wouldnt run anything that I would want to play.

Perhaps then the laptop idea isnt so sweet afterall until they can compress everything just a little bit more?

Just for a little information the FX card is about 1000 and the 7800 card is about 560, but it is affordable to have one or the other in a machine with 2 gigs of ram and a nice hard drive. I was hoping to spend about 3500 on a laptop and then hubby went to zipzoomfly and put together a nice rig that would only cost about 3100 which was full of goodies.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
gonna have to ask u.. what games do u play.. my laptop plays games.. just not at the same settings as my desktop.. pentium m cpu.. geforce 6600 go tweaked up to 450 core and 700 memory with rivatuner.. 1 gig system memory.. 100 gig hardive.. plays fear.. quake 4.. doom 3.. Act of war.. in fact there aint a game out there it wont play.. scores 2830 in 3dmark2005 and 6700 in 3dmark2003..

the difference tween a sensible gaming laptop and a silly one is medium quality settings as opposed to high quality settings.. it aint a question of not being able to play games.. mine cost me £1000 in the UK.. 1500 or 1600 dollars should buy such a machine in the US..

its all about heat.. the pentium M draws about 25 watts.. the FX57 about 100 watts.. the geforce 6600 go at the higher clock speeds about 25 watts.. geforce 7800 100 watts..

in essence no way do u need high end desktop power in a laptop to play games.. so who is kidding who..??

trog