• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to cooling

simonc1978

I've just bought an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (256bit) OEM card in order to play HL2 and Sims2. After about an hour or so of playing on HL2, the game crashed and I opened the case to see how hot the card was and I nearly burnt my hand.

Therefore, I've been looking at some possible cooling methods. The ATI Arctic Silencer 1 seems to fit the bill. But I'm a bit worried about space. Does the cooler go on the front or back of the VGA card? If it has to go on the front (i.e. in contact with the GPU itself) then I've got a bit of a problem because that would mean having to remove one of the PCI cards and they're all needed. I've also seen some sort of cooling made by Zalman but I can't decide which would be best.

Can anyone help? P.S. I don't intend to overclock the card.

TIA,

Simon

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
simonc1978 said:
I've just bought an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (256bit) OEM card in order to play HL2 and Sims2. After about an hour or so of playing on HL2, the game crashed and I opened the case to see how hot the card was and I nearly burnt my hand.

Therefore, I've been looking at some possible cooling methods. The ATI Arctic Silencer 1 seems to fit the bill. But I'm a bit worried about space. Does the cooler go on the front or back of the VGA card? If it has to go on the front (i.e. in contact with the GPU itself) then I've got a bit of a problem because that would mean having to remove one of the PCI cards and they're all needed. I've also seen some sort of cooling made by Zalman but I can't decide which would be best.

Can anyone help? P.S. I don't intend to overclock the card.

TIA,

Simon

Sorry to tell you this, but all GPU coolers have to be placed over the GPU itself, and most of the aftermarket coolers will take up one extra slot in your PC.

simonc1978

I've realised I can use the onboard sound on the Mobo so I can remove one of the PCI cards. So... which cooler do I need? Is it the ATI Arctic Silencer 1? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks

ReconCX

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 480
Storage Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD x2
Display(s) ASUS VH242H 23.6"
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Trooper
Power Supply COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W
Software Microsoft® Windows 8 Professional
I think that your card is overheating and that's a manufacturer's defect. Better for you to exchange it rather than you spend extra money trying to fix the thing.

C&C Freak 2K

Zalman fanless heatsinks are huge in order to compensate for less air moving past the fins at one time.

Also, you can buy better-but-not-really-excellent HSFs such as the Vantec Iceberq4.