• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NuPhy Air96 V2 Low Profile Wireless Mechanical Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The NuPhy Air96 V2 is a low profile keyboard with 100 dedicated keys and offers hybrid wireless connectivity in a lightweight, portable footprint. It has open-source firmware with QMK/VIA support, plenty of customization with different colors/keycaps/switches, onboard controls, and a long battery life without breaking the bank.

Show full review

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Nuphy makes excellent keyboards, stellar build quality and features. They are pretty much perfect boards for almost any size and profile need (the Halo series is great for standard profile). I honestly think that, alongside Akko and arguably Epomaker, they are the most interesting keeb company currently around. Sure, there is Wooting for e-sports crowd and Keychron (though their build quality lately is suspect, IMO) and Leopold if you want something very classic, but I feel like those aren’t as exciting or as good value.

Reactions: VSG
Low quality post by bonehead123
In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
The NuPhy Air96 V2 is a welcome change from the seemingly endless supply of 75% form factor keyboards that have been reviewed here recently

^^THIS^^ and their wee wee cousins in the 60-65% range too.....just soooo sick of seein those, I almost puke every time I see a PR for yet ANUTHA chopped off toy-ish pos :)

As an owner of the original air75 - nuphy screwed up large by not redesigning the power button. They cheeped out on this because this way they can keep using the old molds for the upper aluminum plate.

Its by far the worst power button I've ever had to deal with and I'm not alone. It was talked about on their subreddit and many people will tell you the same. Try finding the middle wired setting with it, its a lottery. It's like they used the smallest, vaguest switch in existence with 2mm of travel..

Ironically bluetooth works better then 2.4 on the chipset they used in v1 keebs. They were supposed up upgrade it for v2. Personally I was disappointed with mine, no damping inside(had to add), small battery I had to replace and the the 2.4 wireless was bunk from the start. Firmware updates did nothing.

What they have going for them is the original look but I would go with a different brand.

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I have an Air60 V1 and an Air75 V2. Browns on the 60 and Cowberries on the 75. While I like the sound on the 75, I really dislike that in time some of the keys will begin "freeing" themselves from their hot swap sockets and I would experience every once in a while a distinctive "crunch" when I press them while typing.

Another issue is a firmware one, while I got the NuPhys for their USB dongle, they have some incompatibilities with some laptops (eg. my work issued Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen1) where I cannot enter the BitLocker key because the keyboard would constantly send an ever-repeating ghost keypress signal to it. Both my NuPhys do that, updated them to the most current firmware (which may actually be the part of the issue).

Other than that I have to say that the Cowberries do not feel very consistent to me, perhaps because of the above described issue with the sockets. Next on my list to try/buy would be the Lofree Flow, but man oh man... I have to start selling some of my older keyboards, they are really starting to pile up.

I have an Air60 V1 and an Air75 V2. Browns on the 60 and Cowberries on the 75. While I like the sound on the 75, I really dislike that in time some of the keys will begin "freeing" themselves from their hot swap sockets and I would experience every once in a while a distinctive "crunch" when I press them while typing.

Another issue is a firmware one, while I got the NuPhys for their USB dongle, they have some incompatibilities with some laptops (eg. my work issued Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen1) where I cannot enter the BitLocker key because the keyboard would constantly send an ever-repeating ghost keypress signal to it. Both my NuPhys do that, updated them to the most current firmware (which may actually be the part of the issue).

Other than that I have to say that the Cowberries do not feel very consistent to me, perhaps because of the above described issue with the sockets. Next on my list to try/buy would be the Lofree Flow, but man oh man... I have to start selling some of my older keyboards, they are really starting to pile up.
I shelfed my browns and replaced them with gateron pro red 2.0, and lubed them. Also had the issue with keys not sitting properly and crunching. Less of an issue with these, as they fin more snugly. But my aluminum plate has visible defects on it once you remove keycaps. Honestly even the cheap RK Royal Kludge RK84 that I got for half the price of air75, had much better QC and was a more polished overall product.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@cellar door
Interesting. I have four keyboards from Nuphy at work, three Halos and one TKL AirV1 and none of them have any identifiable QC issues. Halos have Baby Raccoons on them and the Air has Blues.

@cellar door
Interesting. I have four keyboards from Nuphy at work, three Halos and one TKL AirV1 and none of them have any identifiable QC issues. Halos have Baby Raccoons on them and the Air has Blues.
I can post a picture of it here if you wanna see it lol But yeah I still own it, but its far from what I hoped it would be when I was buying it based on their marketing and couple short (probably paid) reviews.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670e Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite Capellix
Memory G-Skill Trident Z Neo @6000mhz CL30
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 4090 OC
Storage 2tb Samsung 990 Pro, 512gb Samsung 960 Pro
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Burson Swing, Burson Bang, Kef Q100
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000w
Mouse Razer Deathadder V2 Pro
Keyboard Nuphy Air 96v2
Software Win 11 Pro 64-bit
I just got this keyboard about a month ago. Coming from a G915 TKL this things is great. My only gripe is that the layout is condensed so I keep typing in the wrong keys. I just gotta get used to it.
20240510_203011.jpg

C0mbat

Hi all, is there a way of mapping the £ and € signs on to the keyboard?