• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd problem on HP 840 G6 Laptops

System Name Main Gaming Rig
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 Rev2 in Pull Config & 3 Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans
Memory 2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
Storage 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus nVme SSD's & Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Display(s) Asus ROG PG279Q 27" 16:9 2560x1440 144/165Hz & Asus PB278Q 27” 16:9 2560x1440
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Tempered Glass USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Hey all,

I need help!! So at my work, we have been pushing out HP 840 G6 laptops for some time now with no issues however since June/July's monthly Windows Updates (100% was not an issue prior to this - I've personally had a G6 since about November last year and it's not had a problem until this), we've been experiencing issues whereby randomly, one of the following device's drivers just won't load when a device boots:

1) AMD Radeon 550X (not so much an issue since the laptop's primary video is the Intel UHD Graphics)
2) Realtek(R) Audio (annoying with staff Working from Home and they randomly lose all audio)
3) Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz (also annoying with people working from home)

The device just has the yellow exclamation mark on it with the error of:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful"

Now, yes, right clicking on the device, uninstalling it, then scanning for changed causes the device to re-install itself and the drivers seem to work fine. But the issue can just randomly occur again. The problem for us is that this is generating a lot of tickets for support and it's really, really annoying. I've tried digging into it myself but I'm not having much luck finding out why just this model is affected. We also use HP 840 G3's and HP 840 G5's and these models don't experience this problem, only seems to be the G6's.

I was wondering if anyone in our wise TPU community could point me in a right direction or might be able to assist me in trying to find out why tf this is happening which would then allow me to push for a more concrete resolution across my business. I would welcome any help on this matter!

Cheers!